R1150SR Project Touring Bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

todehnal
Basic User

Re: R1150SR Project Touring Bike

Postby todehnal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 am

Yeah, I looked at the Wunderlich kit, but it only gives you about an inch down and forward, whereas the GS peg mount gives you more like 2 1/2". With only an inch drop, I would probably need to shop for the tall seat as well, so I am leaning toward the GS peg mounts.
From what I understand, you do cause interference with the center stand. Not sure if that is fixable, but I sure would like to give that a try. Anyway, I am on the hunt for a set of GS peg mounts with levers and brake link........Tom
2004 R1150R

EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Postby EasyBee » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Even one inch forward and one inch down gives an interference with the center stand. And to make things worse, I've got size 12 boots. It's a pita to use the center stand. But the ride comfort is worth it. My Wunderlich set came with two adapters for the break pedal and gear shifter to lower them as well and extensions for the break and gear shifter to make them wider as your footrest moves an inch outward as well. But the ride comfort is great.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.

BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Postby BadToTheBown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Thank's for the heads up on the probable center stand interference.

I had to work all weekend, so I haven't got back to it yet. I was going to put the center stand on first. Think I'll reconsider that. If it never has a center stand, that would not be the end of the world, just prefer it for loading and tire changes.

I'll just put the trans on with the drive shaft still on. Need to buy some parts, like clutch slave cylinder and new line (corroded at the fitting).
2001 R1150S Lite Project Bike
2005 Honda RC-51 Project Bike
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 am

OK, back on it tonight....

Input shaft splines look great...

Used Honda M-77 Assembly Lube (used to be called Moly 60), on input splines and drive shaft, which I was careful to phase correctly...

Swapped my gear position indicator for one for an RT, will explain this later...note the connector is different...

This is how far I am, includes the Paralever (loctited pivot threads) with drive shaft and top part of subframe and oil lines...

Rebuild kit for clutch slave cylinder is on its way...
Last edited by BadToTheBown on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:30 pm

OK, back end drive train is all together, had to improvise a bit, I'm used to having the rear shock on my S-bikes when I put the final drive on, not with these bikes unless the rear subframe is on. The rear pivot has the Rubber Chicken Racing bushings instead of the roller bearings that came in it...

Ordering some brake caliper rebuild kits, have anew head light assembly and driving lights I'm going to figure out how to adapt to the front end. Turns out the Rockster upper tree would not be a good fit for what I am doing. Also trying to order LED turn signals and I want to save the power (avoid ballast resistors) and use a correct relay instead.

Any know if they make turn signal relays for LEDs that fit our bikes?
Last edited by BadToTheBown on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 pm

OK, started on the front end. Drilling out the security screws on the R took hours when it shouldn't. I need to find that damn drill bit sharpener I had in MD. Packed in a box somewhere. Bought some good bit's the S one only took 5 mins to get off. Used some regular allen screws to install S-bike ignition switch on R-bike upper tree...

Had some fun with paint today and started putting the front end together...

Need to order some o-rings and seals before putting the forks on, old ones are dry rotted and cracked...
Last edited by BadToTheBown on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 pm

OK, back to work tonight, rebuild kit for clutch slave cylinder came in, thought it would be easy, seems the piston seal decided it should be locked to the cylinder wall. Nothing would pull it out of that cylinder. Its counter intuitive but taking a socket and hammering in released it and it pushed right out (spring behind it)...here it is apart, there're simple...that's the replacement C-clip in the pic, didn't use it...

Putting the new seal on is tight but it will go on, note the orientation, put that lip on backwards and it will leak...used some silicon grease I use on the brake caliper pistons, went right in...

Here it is all back together...reused the stock C-clip because I used a socket to compress the spring and that fancy new C-clip has those little protrusions on it and it wouldn't collapse enough with socket there to put it in. I would image if one used the clutch push rod to compress the spring, you could use the new C-clip...

Installed...getting a custom clutch line is proving more a challenge because of the banjo fitting on the slave cylinder side...

Doing wheels next...
Last edited by BadToTheBown on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Postby Tundra Dweller » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 am

Simply fantastic. Keep up the good work!
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:06 am

OK, finished building wheels up tonight. Took a while to post them, PhotoImage had a problem, has to be .cc now...

These are R1100S wheels from a 1999 bike that had ABS. Black powder coated with blue valve stems and Braking rotors (305mm to match my forks).

Front wheel with one of my older Pilot Powers, there's more tread in the middle than on the sides, if the rotors look a little blue, it's because they are, track days get you this hue...

New valve stems, these required some filing to seat property...

Pretty side of rear wheel, zero miles Q2 I had, its a 170 tire...

Braking rotor in the back too...

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Postby kirby » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:40 am

You sure have brought some life into the R1150 board...'bout time we had some enthusiasm! Terrific machines!

Bravo!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Nice of you to say but I still have a ways to go to finish. Right now I have a leaky valve stem, so the front tire has to come back off...also I realized my lower tree ball joints between the R1100S and R1150R are different. The R one is like my R1200S one and seats in a taper. The S one doesn't, it's flat. I got the ball joint off the R1100S lower but that R1150R lower is such a PITA...I gave up and bought a new off ebay...

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Postby riceburner » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:00 am

Not read the whole thread yet - but did you look at the R1200C bikes? If your partner prefers the Harley for comfort, then BMW's own cruiser might have been an option. They still handle like the rest of the R256 series... ;) .
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Sorry I've been out of pocket, had a ton of prep to go to the NSS and had to work it this week. Just got home. New clutch line from Spiegler is coming. They can make them now, we'll see how this works out.

I had considered the C bike, however, some of my choice R1100S parts would not work and the right deal for one never presented itself. Also, I'm not a fan of the 1200C engine. Good (great?) torque but I like it to rev a little and I'm not a chrome fan. Parts availability and interchangeability is another...time to get back on the bike this weekend....

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 pm

OK, spent some time having fun with paint again...I hate that silver metallic out of a can, what a PITA, runs no matter what I do...did I mention I hate it?

Painted lower triple tree (powder coat was coming off and rough), still waiting on new lower ball joint (correct one) from Germany - customs.... :-/

Had 4 fork legs to pick from, like the ones I painted with black epoxy, however, one of them had a broken off fender screw in it, take this as a lesson - DO NOT break the drill bit off in the screw, because you will then be SCREWED...so I pulled the other fork leg and painted the bottom to match...more PITA but better than the silver metallic by quite a bit...

Figured out the front tire slow leak, these cheap Aluminum blue valve stems from China do not really fit the slight counter bore of the BMW rims, so you have to chamfer the edges of the valve stems almost back to the rubber and then file back some of the rim forging flash around the valve stem hole, now they hold air...or for a day at least so far...wheels are ready to go on...

While the paint is drying, thought I'd have a look at the foot pegs and controls...compared the R ones with the GS ones and it appears the GS ones are about 4" lower (discounting the fact that the GS pegs are are taller than R pegs) and 3" more forward, not to mention about an 1" wider on each side and the side stand hits the GS shift lever...since the GS mounts move the shift lever forward, I'll have to use the GS shift lever, I'm going to go with custom Aluminum adjustable brake lever on the right side...

The brake side is quite different and forget swapping the R brake lever onto the GS foot peg mount, they're made entirely different, the R one mounts to the outside and the GS one mounts to the inside of the bracket and the brake master cylinder aligns differently...

I'll post some pics tomrrow after I get things back apart so I have some more fun with paint...

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 pm

OK, had some fun with paint...

Doing some red accenting on the rear subframe since I'm waiting on parts for the front...ready to go on now, need to start harness work...

Here's the left foot pedal/controls on the left side - both R and GS...GS ones look more "technical" in my view...

Here's how they look in red...more accenting just because I can...

Lower tree still waiting on new ball joint but powder coat was hurting, so I painted it too...really don't like the silver metallic but it's OK on this part, got carried away and painted the clamping bolts too...tacky I know

Front fender was black, sanded it, now it's silver metallic and I screwed up the paint, time to re-sand and paint with a better plain silver...can see it ran on the sides...

Black epoxy paint on fork lowers turned out nice...These are 1999 R1100S lower forks...new wiper seals arrived, these only use .17 litres of fork oil because they have a plastic cylinder that displaces about .2 liters...lots of speculation about why BMW did this on the earlier bikes but not on the later bikes, my speculation is it lowers fork inertia (tube is lighter than the fluid), I typically fill them up to a little bit below the seal (cover the upper slider bushing)...fail to do this and your upper fork bushings will wear out way ahead of schedule....

Since I kept the original upper tree, I have to have the upper stanchion tubes with stud, used ones from a set of GS forks I had...

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:25 pm

OK, still waiting on parts for the front end. New clutch line from Speigler arrived but there's an issue (their work is impeccable)...

I'll work it out with them...

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Good news is Speigler can not offer clutch cables for our bikes....

Clutch slave cylinder end...note the bulging rubber line...

Clutch master cylinder end...

This is why I need a new line...this was ready to fail...

sykospain

Postby sykospain » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:29 am

Just replying to - todenhal -
Fitting the GS footpeg kit makes the non-ABS Rock a much more comfy bike to spend a whole day riding, and of course the Roadster bar swap is essential, but it was a gold-durned PITA to fit the GS pegs and levers: -

https://postimg.cc/image/eaisdur79/

and on the other side :-

https://postimg.cc/image/aqwuo66it/

And that's apart from the new colour needed, 'cos used GS footpegs are silver-ish, and the tiger-stripe Rock colour on its OEM pegs is a sort of dark blue.
A day of a job in effect.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 am

These are good, thanks for offering them up...having any issues dragging things since putting them one?

I changed over to the GS shift lever on the trans side to avoid the alignment problem you point out. The pivot point is moved fwd about an inch and they shortened the trans shift lever accordingly. It appears to me that the R-bike shifter has a little better leverage on shifting then GS but the GS foot lever looks longer, probably all comes out in the wash...so to speak...

Your points on the brake side will be useful. I'm looking at using standard pegs, so mine will be a bit lower yet. I'm also going to change the brake lever so it doesn't look so GS. I don't need to do this, I just want to. I'm also putting a pivoting/folding toe peg on the shifter side. Using the Woodcraft one. Looks like I need to think about the rear brake cylinder rod length based on your notes...

DAM650
Basic User

Postby DAM650 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:00 pm

BadToTheBown wrote:OK, back to work tonight, rebuild kit for clutch slave cylinder came in, thought it would be easy, seems the piston seal decided it should be locked to the cylinder wall. Nothing would pull it out of that cylinder. Its counter intuitive but taking a socket and hammering in released it and it pushed right out (spring behind it)...here it is apart, there're simple...that's the replacement C-clip in the pic, didn't use it...

Putting the new seal on is tight but it will go on, note the orientation, put that lip on backwards and it will leak...used some silicon grease I use on the brake caliper pistons, went right in...

Here it is all back together...reused the stock C-clip because I used a socket to compress the spring and that fancy new C-clip has those little protrusions on it and it wouldn't collapse enough with socket there to put it in. I would image if one used the clutch push rod to compress the spring, you could use the new C-clip...

Installed...getting a custom clutch line is proving more a challenge because of the banjo fitting on the slave cylinder side...

Doing wheels next...

where did you buy the rebuild kit from?
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K

Return to “R1150R”