What Happened to My Clutch Handle? 02 r1150r

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

skylarmav1
Basic User

What Happened to My Clutch Handle? 02 r1150r

Post by skylarmav1 »

So a few weeks ago I changed all of the fluids (oil/Tranny and FD) and took a ride to ensure all was well. Was out for about an hour and all good. The bike has been in the garage since then on a tender-in PA so we've had some very cold weather.

Yesterday I went to go for a ride (50 degrees) and as I started the bike and rolled out of the garage, the clutch handle had no resistance. it just about ( almost) could be flicked back and forth. I started the bike and it would not engage. Just a floppy handle.

I took off the handle guard and began to flex the lever. It slowly began to get some resistance back. I took the bike for a short ride and as I rode, the handle lever began to work. Having said that, it seemed to not actuate until it was very close to the actual handle. But it did work.

I turned the bike off thinking maybe something was pinched from the handle guard contraction over winter. when I looked at it today, it seems that the lever has lost resistance again. I took a quick look at the brake/clutch reservoir and it may be low-but there is no evidence of leaking anywhere. Can this fluid evaporate?

I have a manual and found nothing to assist there and nothing online to address this situation. Some guidance would be appreciated before I'm forced to begin taking things apart.

Thanks all.
Skylarmav1
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: What Happened to My Clutch Handle? 02 r1150r

Post by towerworker »

I think I'd go thru a clutch bleed process. And I'd read this thread. CycleRob is the accepted guru on all things R.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33622&p=247495&hili ... ed#p247495
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Yes, study Rob's info, and hope that your clutch fluid isn't all over your clutch.

Inspect clutch master, flush system, consider replacing clutch slave.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Thanks Tower and Sweatmark, and of course CR. Looks like fun! I'm sure I'll be back with qmore Q's as the process un folds
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

if bleeding doesnt do it, your slave has gone.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.