swing arm bushings

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

bransan
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

swing arm bushings

Post by bransan »

I have been away from the site for a while, but I am looking for the swing arm bushing kit that replaces the roller bearings with bushings. Does anyone remember?
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Re: swing arm bushings

Post by BadToTheBown »

Rubber Duck Racing - Tom Cutter
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I could be wrong....I thought it was Rubber Chicken.
Buckster '03R
Milanator
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1171

Post by Milanator »

From rubberchickenracinggarage.com
I received this from them last year, but have not installed it yet - current bearings are good for now.

JL Paralever Bushing Upgrade Kit
JL Paralever Bushings
JL Paralever Bushing Upgrade Kit - $144.00 + Shipping
PA Sales Tax automatically added to PA orders.
Includes: 2 bushings, 2 races, and 0.5ml of Loctite 263 - enough for 1 motorcycle
Quantity

Shipping
US
International (up to 4 lbs)
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

What are JL Paralever Bushings???

In the words of the manufacturer:

"I developed these after purchasing a ' 93 R100GSPD and hearing stories about Drive Shaft failures. I decided to inspect the Drive Shaft every 2500 miles. The one recurring failure I found was the Final Drive Pivot Bearings, anything from rough bearings to one set actually seized up from shattered rollers. All lubing and preload was per BMW specs.. I will say the bike is not stock and goes where I point it. To my knowledge a roller bearing is designed to roll not rock back and forth, wearing a groove in the race and a flat on the roller. My Bushings are a direct replacement made from 660 Oilite Bronze that is oil impregnated and self lubricating, matched to a Timken Bearing race. They provide a much larger contact surface than the rollers since the full face of the bushing contacts the race. I have developed and tested these for three years in my GS with great success, the present set has 15k miles with no measurable wear. If any wear does occur it will be negated when adjusting preload. I have also installed a set in my ' 94 K1100LT. I am confident these bushings are a one time investment and you will be happy with their performance. "

The best feature about them, besides the reliability, is the ease of refitting the Paralever assembly after any servicing. On the road this could prevent a trip-stopping failure of the OEM tapered needle bearings. These bearings replace BMW Part Number 33 17 2 311 091, used on ALL Paralever models BMW has produced from 1987 to 2004 except the R1200GS. . I do not believe that they will fit the R1200GS, ST or RT models, nor will they fit the new K1200S or K1200R.
We recommend the HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE for lubrication of the Paralever Bushing kit as well as many other spline lubrication needs on your BMW. You can conveniently order the Honda Lube here: HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE.
We also recommend Loctite 263 Threadlocker for the BMW OEM pivot pins as well as for our Paralever Bushing Replacement Kit. Loctite 263 can be found here: LOCTITE 263 THREADLOCKER

**Kit now INCLUDES Loctite 263 (0.5 ml tube)**

JL Paralever Bushing Installation Instructions

Quantity

Shipping
US
International (up to 4 lbs)
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

They may even be cheaper than the BMW item(rollers).
The installation needs to be right on the rollers, follow the book closely. Correct Loctite VERY important!!! That green BMW thread locker required some serious heat to brake lose.

Like the clutch plate they (the rollers ) hardly MOVE at all during the up and down motion and are not loaded that much for their size and the tapered rollers are for the side to side forces. I had over 169 K on my stock bearings when I pulled them first (and only so far) and they weren't worn at all but since I had bought replacements I went ahead and replaced them. Now approaching 250K I can still not detect any lateral movement. I rebuild the ohlins every 25K so have the opportunity to check the up and down movement w/the shock removed.

That green BMW thread locker required some serious heat to brake lose.

Not saying that the bushing won't work 'cause they probably will just fine and maybe will be cheaper but I like the engineering expertise at BMW and they don't do something w/o a good reason,(please spare me the internet horror stories), probably over kill to use roller over bushing but that is their Teutonic history.

BTW a GS is typically used allot harder (as in beat up hard..I am a former GS owner which frequently got very wet) so the ware patterns are surly different than just ripping around on public roads and the angles that the swing arm sees is higher than a roadster/sport machine.

just say'n
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Hottech
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Hottech »

I have a new JL Paralever final drive bushing that I never got around to installing that you can have for $100 shipped. There are two bushings in the kit with instructions and it looks like the inner race is made of brass or bronze.
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

Buckster wrote:I could be wrong....I thought it was Rubber Chicken.
My bad, you're correct. Knew it was a bird thing...Haven't seen Tom in years, please tell him I said Hi...
Last edited by BadToTheBown on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Rubber Chicken has them also..$144
Rubber Duck? Joke?
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

http://nushings.com

there's these too.

i discovered those rubber duck ones in my swing arm when i replaced the fragged drive bearing. one side was beat up pretty bad, so i made sure it was rotated on a newer looking portion to pivot on.

thanks kirby for your third option

DAM
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K