Bike Value and Upgrades

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

todehnal
Basic User

Bike Value and Upgrades

Post by todehnal »

After seeing some of these Roadsters on the market, I am a bit disappointed at the current street value. It's looking like a nice machine will be hard pressed to fetch 3K US dollars. Wow! That is way too under priced for such a nice machine. I was considering adding city bags to my ride, but I cannot justify the cost knowing that it will add so little to the resale value. Does anyone happen to have a pair of used city bags laying around, or even damaged? I'm pretty handy in the fix category, and I would be very interested. I thought about posting my interest in the sales area of this forum, but I thought that I might get more comments on the Roadster value by posting here. Thanks for your thoughts........Tom 04 R1150R, Black of course.
2004 R1150R
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Bike Value and Upgrades

Post by kirby »

Well,
Buying any motorcycle excepting the old classics(and even then you have to buy then right$$) is a loosing proposition as far as an investment.
All the "classic" stuff have had their ups and downs but right now classic cars and motos are doing well (especially antiques 'cause of the interest rates and other investment factors. As long as you moto is serviceable (running up to snuff mileage appropriate to its age)) it will go down to a certain market value and bottom out for quite a while.
I have done well in (old) aircraft.

If your a motorcyclist you buy for enjoyment/hobby and travel is special on a two wheeler, a challenge. I have never thought of them as an investment. Consumable....
You'd do better to find something, (if investment is your goal), that IS investment grade but in a moto its rare.

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

yeah its annoying... but Im not selling my bike...so dont care lol

the annoying thing is the compulsory comments about the bikes price, such as: "BMW huh, must be nice to afford that, you must make more than I do"

me: "at least were not talking harley money"
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Well, I guess you guys are right, and I need to think about upgrades more as a comfort need, or desirable mod or accessory, and quit thinking about it as an investment. To be honest, these Roadsters are fantastic rides, and my choice for true solo ride pleasure. I'd still like to add a couple of city bags. I think it would add a little aesthetically, and it would give me a good excuse for taking the bike when I need to make a quick run for a loaf of bread......Tom
2004 R1150R
kirby

Post by kirby »

If you keep an eye out you will find some bags at a reasonable price. The BMW system is REALLY good.
You can always go to soft after market bags. I have them on my 750 Honda and they are useful and handy.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

my wife is leaning on me to get a new bike. I thought II could, but I just cant. Only mid 30's for miles... NO reason to unload it. New bike, while WAAAAY nice, and awesome MPG's etc, doesnt do anything Mine cant, really.

I'm with Kirby get the BMW system cases. I LOVE mine. durable, and big.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

go fishing to craigslist for bags, I've seen a set of nice ones for less than $200 one day. It is possible.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Kirya wrote:go fishing to craigslist for bags, I've seen a set of nice ones for less than $200 one day. It is possible.

I think that would be a good idea. I have seen them for $100 each, which is a bargin considering the quality ease of use and the big$$ for new ones.

Patience will pay off.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Wow! I would jump at the chase if I found system bags for $100 each. I'll start watching Craigs list, but BMWs are pretty rare in Western KY. Now, if I lived in a hot BMW area, that may be a different story. If anyone finds a set available somewhere, I sure would appreciate a post. I monitor this site regularly. I think that a set of bags would add solid utility to my favorite ride.
Thanks for the info..........Tom
2004 R1150R
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

I got nearly $3,000 when I sold my '02 with 89,000 miles after 15 years of ownership. I thought it was a bargain.

It gave me a lot of pleasure and that is what you are paying for. Improvements only add to the pleasure if done right.

But a bike is not an investment. No bike is.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Wow! Did I get a rude awakening. I have been searching with earnest effort for system bags for my 04 R1150R; Ebay, Caraigs list, etc. There is no way that I can do this on my own. I really need some help. Most sellers don't know what they are selling, and to be honest, as a buyer, I'm not sure what I'm buying. It appears that almost every boxer model has it's own unique part number for system bags. I searched for a cross referenced list to no avail. I did find an interesting article about the left bag being small, and that by removing, or lowering the exhaust, you could use a full sized left bag, instead of the half size that was originally offered for it. Of course, no part numbers or bike models was listed. I'm okay with doing that, in fact, I would prefer the full size bag, but still, I have no idea what the full sized left system bag was used on. Many of the sellers will tell you what their bag is off of, but I still have no idea if It will fit my bike. Is there any way to identify system bags that I can use? Short of buying new from a dealer, It really looks like it would take a real study of these bags before you could possibly buy something that would fit my bike on the used market. I could sure use some help with this. Thanks.........Tom
2004 R1150R
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

peels wrote:my wife is leaning on me to get a new bike. I thought II could, but I just cant. Only mid 30's for miles... NO reason to unload it. New bike, while WAAAAY nice, and awesome MPG's etc, doesnt do anything Mine cant, really.

I'm with Kirby get the BMW system cases. I LOVE mine. durable, and big.
DITTO....
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
kirby

Post by kirby »

todehnal wrote:Wow! Did I get a rude awakening. I have been searching with earnest effort for system bags for my 04 R1150R; Ebay, Caraigs list, etc. There is no way that I can do this on my own. I really need some help. Most sellers don't know what they are selling, and to be honest, as a buyer, I'm not sure what I'm buying. It appears that almost every boxer model has it's own unique part number for system bags. I searched for a cross referenced list to no avail. I did find an interesting article about the left bag being small, and that by removing, or lowering the exhaust, you could use a full sized left bag, instead of the half size that was originally offered for it. Of course, no part numbers or bike models was listed. I'm okay with doing that, in fact, I would prefer the full size bag, but still, I have no idea what the full sized left system bag was used on. Many of the sellers will tell you what their bag is off of, but I still have no idea if It will fit my bike. Is there any way to identify system bags that I can use? Short of buying new from a dealer, It really looks like it would take a real study of these bags before you could possibly buy something that would fit my bike on the used market. I could sure use some help with this. Thanks.........Tom

What you want is "system cases" for a R1150 R or GS. I just looked on ebay a found one set brand new for $600.(300 a piece) Unless you want to lower the exhaust then you need the R or GS 1150 cases.
I have not tried but beemer boneyard sometimes has some used ones.
You just have to be patient and some will turn up especially on e bay.
Remember...R1150R or R1150 GS and even scared up a bit they will clean up as long as not broken. Try and get the key also or you will have to come up with a key. Never had to do that but a BMW dealer can probably help with that.

The full size left was on the RT.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

If you want the full size bag on the left, you have to lower the exhaust, or do what many of us did and take off the muffler and replace it with a chrome tip. The sound is deeper but not too loud and most people can ride with you all day and not notice the noise difference.

Scratched bags can be restored to like new with a couple of thin coats of spray on bed liner. Worked wonders on mine.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Thanks for the references. Understanding "system cases" and models to look for helps. I like the idea of removing the muffler, as long as the noise is not obnoxious. The thought of having more storage without going to oversize bags is inviting. I will keep on the hunt. Thanks.....Tom
2004 R1150R
kirby

Post by kirby »

You may find you won't miss a bit of side space (I don't) and the r bike is very loud without the can!!!! and I'm hard of hearing...j 79's

I have a flat luggage carrier on the rear about 12" sq. My normal kit is about 60 lbs and I have a dry bag for the carrier and use a large tail bag on the rear seat and a large tank bag.(Solo).
If you have to accommodate a pillion then all bets are off even with a full size bag on the left. (Ladies will only leave you the tank bag...if your,gullible/whipped.)

I think most just don't like the asymmetry of the small to large bags. Only noticeable from the rear..doesn't bother me at all.

cheers
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Turning away from the pannier issue and back to the OP's topic about the resale value of 'our' bikes...
My pal Motorcycling Mo with his adored 2004 GS Adventure in truly amazing pristine condition, was tempted the other day after seeing all the new models brought from Munich to our local Almería Test Camp gathering in the seaside resort of Garrucha, to take his vehicle to a BMW dealer in a nearby city, 200 Km away from here on the coast, with a view to chipping it in against a brand new R1200R.

"¡ Eres loco ! " gasped the salesman. "You must be mad ! "

And added in an undertone after looking over his shoulder to see if a boss was in the vicinity, "..these bikes ( indicating the showroom collection of new Beemers with a sweep of his arm ) are not a patch on yours".

So kirby - don't be tempted ! Neither was Mo after that.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
kirby

Post by kirby »

Ha!,
Learned my lesson long ago,good advice!
Mine gets the job done and I CAN MAINTAIN IT!!!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

left case popped out on ebay, ~$110 shipped from UK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine-R1 ... eZ&vxp=mtr
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Thanks Kirya. You posted the link at 10:22 last night, and I went after it at 6:00 this morning, only to find it already sold.
Dang it!! That sure was fast. Really appreciate your efforts. I will continue on with my quest for system cases.............Tom
2004 R1150R