Bike Value and Upgrades

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Kirya
Basic User

Re: Bike Value and Upgrades

Post by Kirya »

There might be a solution for you if you don't mind lovering your pipe: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... a.1293456/
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

Lovering the pipe sounds a bit kinky. ;>)
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

some folks do it for increasing luggage capacity, anyway that ad offers an option with original left bag as well
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

It looks like the R1150GSA bags will not fit my R1150R. The rails are different. I'll keep looking. Bobs BMW has new one for $320 each, Ouch!!
2004 R1150R
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

Bags will fit, I posted my part numbers on that forum for your reference, I think you can get them for $200 shipped leaving that big left one with the seller and gs racks and saving him some shipping $.
$100 per bag is a good deal, I do not think you can find them cheaper considering the cost of shipping. Racks will have to be fished from eBay separately though.
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

I think this seller will sell just the rails..eBay item number:322923435496
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Thanks Kirya. It is not the cost of the bags off of the GS. I would be excited to get two cases for something in the $200 range, It's a fitment concern. To begin with, none of the numbers match any of the case parts numbers that appear on the BMW parts fishe. I have used your numbers and searched the entire BMW line and I am unable to identify any of them. I appreciate your comment that they will fit, I would just prefer to find cases with the part numbers listed by BMW,

Here is what I have found out as far as fitment needs:

Left city case: 46542316905, or bottom number 4654237625
Right city case: 46542316906 or bottom number 46542317620

Thanks for you help here.............Tom
2004 R1150R
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

City system cases are a bit different and have reduced luggage capacity, lids are flat in comparing with regular system cases. I'm not sure why you cannot find these on the bmw parts site, probably it was replaced by never version, or no longer available. Try contacting any dealer with my part numbers and see what they say. Good luck with your search.
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Thanks Kirya, I'll give that a try. I was going on the assumption that the BMW parts guy would be looking at the same fishe that I was looking at. But hey, it's worth a try. To be honest, I want the bags as much for aesthetics as storage. Years ago I had an old airhead (R90/6) with system cases and loved the look, but I am not a fan of the very wide appearance of standard, or extra capacity covers. City covers would be perfect for me..........Tom
2004 R1150R
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

A while back I saw a company selling new "knock-off" cases on eBay and/or Amazon for about $225 each. They were Chinese, identical in appearance to the BMW side cases (no BMW rondel on them though). Had good reviews, haven't looked lately. I ride an '04 R1150R; I was able to use racks and bags (Trex adventure type aluminum bags) that I had previously mounted on a mid-90s R1100GS. The mounts were identical except for the "Cross-over rear bracket" (that I fabricated myself). I believe that the system cases didn't really change all through the R1100 and R1150 years for BMW; with the exception, maybe, as discussed, of the cut-out small left side bags for the exhausts on the GS and R. My racks are Touratech; they may not be made for that model anymore (not sure). You might try the search engines that will search nation-wide on Craigslist (if you're in the States); there's also a site called IBMWR.org that has a free marketplace with all categories of BMWs, parts and accessories, for sale by owners. I found my adventure bags new there; a fellow had won them at a bike rally and rode one of the luxo K bikes; so I got them with liners for $700 (side bags and top case).
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

sykospain wrote:Turning away from the pannier issue and back to the OP's topic about the resale value of 'our' bikes...
My pal Motorcycling Mo with his adored 2004 GS Adventure in truly amazing pristine condition, was tempted the other day after seeing all the new models brought from Munich to our local Almería Test Camp gathering in the seaside resort of Garrucha, to take his vehicle to a BMW dealer in a nearby city, 200 Km away from here on the coast, with a view to chipping it in against a brand new R1200R.

"¡ Eres loco ! " gasped the salesman. "You must be mad ! "

And added in an undertone after looking over his shoulder to see if a boss was in the vicinity, "..these bikes ( indicating the showroom collection of new Beemers with a sweep of his arm ) are not a patch on yours".
So, Sykospain, your comments are spot on. I seriously thought about swapping, but my R1150R is paid for, it fits my needs, it's trouble free, and I love the ride. Actually the primary goal of adding the panniers is aesthetics. If I could find a pair with City Case lids, I think that it would just add a gentlemanly touch to an already terrific ride. Capacity is not an issue. The most that I haul, other than an occasional passenger is a loaf of bread, and a gallon of milk. I'm sure that the new bikes are wonderful, but the simplicity of my roadster just works for me. Anyway, good story about your pal.
2004 R1150R
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

In regards to the knock off bags the previous owner and good friend bought these in addition to a Coo Case Trunk.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... dr5asr.jpg
While the trunk needed a adapter the bags go right on the side racks. I have not used them yet but he did on trips and they worked fine.
Adding a adjustable two piece Givi universal shield makes it a true long distance Motorcycle. Low miles (under 7000) and a lot of sitting due to his active duty required some TLC this winter. A keeper for sure.
Back to the original theme.....It owes you nothing, ride long and prosper!
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
martinjmpr
Basic User

Post by martinjmpr »

I recently had my 2002 R1150R up on CL and couldn't even get any serious nibbles at $2800. I think the used bike market is shrinking and with lots of bikes on the market, the value has tanked.

In a way, I'm glad, though. After coming to my senses I pulled the ad down. No way would I sell my R1150R "Bumblebee" for $3k. It's worth way more than that to me, especially considering that there really isn't much out there on the market that I like as much as the R1150R.

Instead, I'll take the money I would have spent buying and farkling a newer bike and use it to get up to date on maintenance on my R1150R and ride it forever. :D
Martin AKA Zapp Branigan (on ADV)
Littleton, CO
2002 R1150R, 2002 Triumph Bonneville 790
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

What's killing the second-hand bike market is the gold-durned, dreaded PCP; where you pay a noticeable deposit, then an exorbitant monthly for 3 years, then either give the bike back to the showroom, or pay another sizeable amount in order to keep "your" bike, which until that point you've never owned.
The old Hire Purchase fixed-rate interest loan-scheme seems to have bitten the dust, as far as BMW showroom guys'n'gals are concerned.
Yesterday morning I was gob-smacked by a one-hour test ride on a 3,000 mile one-owner year-2016 R12R in a BMW dealership, with all the conceivable bells'n'whistles including a centre-stand, the tall Givi screen and Givi handguards, Heated Grips, £700 Akra end-can, full- ride / riding-style / ABS / lean-angle control systems dialled in by the ring-adjuster on the l.h. end of the bar, front crankcase mud-shield, saddlebag frames and top-box plate. All of which amounts to around £1,500 of extras added by P.O. to the basic Special model of the range.
But the showroom price is ten-and-a-half grand sterling - 15 grand in bucks.
Dreamland....
Very, very, very tempted though...if a similar used bike existed in Spain with that hardly-run-in mileage plus all those extras, it'd be 35 or 45% more than that.
For example :-
BMW - R1200R
Bmw R 1200 R LC. Agosto 2015. Con 18500 km. Todas las revisiones oficiales en Bmw. Paquete confort, touring y dinamic. Arranque confort, Keyless. Cambio pro. Soporte GPS original con mando multicontroller. Parabrisas sport. Protectores cilindro originales Bmw. Contrapesos y guardabarros trasero Puig. Maletas originales Bmw. Baúl trasero original Bmw con respaldo acolchado. Asiento trasero confort. Escape cromado. Precio: 13,000 €.

AL, temporarily in the UK.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike