Ummm...overfilled oil?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Ummm...overfilled oil?

Post by racurley »

So, I've changed the oil several times on my bike with no issues. This year, it was pretty cold when I went to take care of the task. Instead of riding it in stop and go traffic for 10 minutes as the manual says, I let it idle in the driveway for several minutes and cranked the throttle a few times. Then, I drained the oil and let it drain for 10 minutes. Changed the filter (filled the new filter with new oil before installing it) and put it 4 qts of oil. Looked ok in the sight window.

When I rode it on a fairly short ride a few days later (maybe 20 minutes), I noticed oil on my left boot and on the left system case. Hmmm. I'd had the oil fill cap leak on me before so I changed the o-ring and dried it off before putting it back on. When I checked the sight window, it looked like it was low on oil so I added 1/4 qt. Next time, more oil leaking. The window looked like it was full past the max line. Uh oh. So, I opened the drain plug and drained out enough oil to where it was about halfway. Next time I rode it, more oil out. This time, I put it on the sidestand for 5 minutes and then on the center stand and checked the window. Completely full, above max. I drained more oil out and then filled it up to halfway. Looking under the cylinder head, it was maybe weeping some oil underneath through the head gasket. Maybe. Not leaking on the ground though when parked.

Rode to work this morning and it did not appear to leak and oil level was where it was supposed to be.

I'm guessing I had oil in the oil coolers when I did the initial drain and fill and this residual oil was my overage. Will need to be more diligent in bringing it up to operating temp next time and letting the oil drain back into the oil pan.

Now, I need to determine what I should do at this point if anything. I didn't ride it terribly far with it overfilled but probably close to 40 miles and I wasn't cranking it. I'm thinking that, if it was possibly leaking through the head gasket, I should probably remove the head cover and wipe down the gasket and reinstall. Any other thoughts?
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Ummm...overfilled oil?

Post by kirby »

You should always measure the amount of oil you put in. W/filter change its close to 4 Qt. *(no more!!)
The coolers will hold 1/4 or so. I usually put in about 3 and a quarter qt w/filter full before install and then ride it. When it is up to normal temp you should see oil in the window, if not add a bit. I shoot for about half way up. So after the change and the engine up to operating temp put it on the center stand and check that there is oil showing in the window.

Even w/ a bit of over fill it shouldn't be leaking out anywhere. Check the airbox drain on the left side rear of the box and drain it any is in there.
Unless you have had the valve cover off and not tightened it properly(or damaged the gasket) it should not leak. The filler cap is prone to leaking if not seated properly or high miles, worn out. There is a huge amount of pressure from the crankcase pulsing neg and pos when engine running.

Start the engine sometime without the plug and it will surprise you!!!

As far as riding it with a bit of an overfill there is not likely to be any harm. But don't do it for long as hard on the seals.
Its common for riders to over fill the boxers until they understand how to service.

If no leaks ...ride.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

Just done mine. 3.75l in after draining a hot engine. Ran at idle until the chain tensioner quietened then revved a bit and shut off.
Sitting smack in the middle of the window a couple of hours later. As Kirby says, measure the correct quantity out as the starting point. Some topping up may be needed after the first run, but I've never seriously overfilled.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I agree; there was probably oil trapped in the coolers when you drained your oil that dropped into the crankcase after you'd refilled with the correct amount of oil. I think you've got it sorted out and wouldn't expect there to be any damage from the slight overfill for a short time. Excess oil gets blown out the crankcase breather tube and ends up in the air filter box, and can be drained by removing the plug at the bottom left corner of that box.

Your leaking "head" gasket is hopefully just a valve cover gasket (or donut gasket) that needs replacing.
Rich
ADIOS!
martinjmpr
Basic User

Post by martinjmpr »

I made the same mistake last year and ended up getting some nasty smoke and blowing oil out through the airbox. Not good! Had it drained and cleaned and now it runs like a top and I'm very careful about topping off oil.
Martin AKA Zapp Branigan (on ADV)
Littleton, CO
2002 R1150R, 2002 Triumph Bonneville 790
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Remember that excess oil will be fed via the half-inch rubber tube from the crankcase that vents excess oil pressure, into the bottom of the airbox, which you can drain by undoing the turn-button at the left-hand lower rear side of that box. Check that rubber vent-tube 'coz it often breaks at the fixing arandela, jubilee or OEM, located on the r.h side of the motor just under the little side-panel that's fixed with one screw and a grommet-plug-in. This often accounts for the oily smell emanating from a well-used 1150.
Then undo the air-inlet tube on both sides of the motor and wipe the black misty deposit out of them. Kushtie.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike