I return with a $2200 bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

CNorris
Basic User

I return with a $2200 bike

Post by CNorris »

When a lightly used '02 R1150R appeared in the local Craigslist, at $2200, I knew I had to go look. I was not looking for another Oilhead, or bike in general, since I already own a 1985 R80 mono that I like a lot. Plus, I really don't have the money (I've got 2 teenage daughters...)

I showed my wife the bike, coincidentally on our 25th anniversary, and she said, "You always loved that bike. Go look. Raid your retirement account if needed. Use it while you're young." Don't wonder for a second why we've been married 25 years. She rode to Newfoundland on the back of a K100RS.

I went, not expecting to buy. I thought I'd find something wrong. Well, ok, the PO took the iABS off, so it has regular brakes. Took a careful look, then took it for a spin, slamming the brakes on. Yup, no abs, lol. But they work great! No doubt disconcerting to the seller but hey. Got off and said, "I'll buy it!"

It had 30,700 on it, so I did a basic 6,000 mile service on it. It runs strong but still has a touch of surge. I'll dial in the TPS, which worked wonders for my previous R1550R.

Ok, my "new" Atlanta Blue" bike came with BMW cover, charger, heated grips, windshield, hand guards, and City Cases. The foot pegs are from a GS, so a bit lower, which I like. I was, literally, the first person to open the tool kit. I'm pretty sure this garage queen still has her original battery, if you can believe it. I don't think it was ever ridden in the rain. Shows literally no evidence of it. My wife nailed it when we picked it up, about the PO, "He's a nice guys but he's not a rider." No shade, just describing. He was off to buy a boat or something. When I told him I was going to ride it up to the ADK's and Bar Harbor, Maine, he seemed surprised (I live in Easter PA). No one here will be surprised, lol.

I am really digging this new ride and being back on an Oilhead.

Ride on!
Craig
'02 R1150R - second time around after 8 years away
'85 BMW R80 - I have a thing for Airheads
swamper
Basic User

Re: I return with a $2200 bike

Post by swamper »

Great buy, how old are the tires?
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
CNorris
Basic User

Post by CNorris »

Dunlop Sportmax with about 70% tread left. Yeah. SMH. I think I "stole" one here. Let's see how she sits after another 10K/end of season on her.
Craig
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

You did very well. Extremely very well!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
CNorris
Basic User

Post by CNorris »

Yes, thank you - agreed! It does need a new battery. This one works, but I don't feel good about it. Man, you've been here awhile, lol, since I remember you from when I had my original black beauty (paid full retail :shock: ). I am loving this bike.
Craig
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Sounds like a bargain! Enjoy-
CNorris
Basic User

Post by CNorris »

Roger that, sir! Put 62K on a brand new '02 R1150R before the spline output shaft went south :cry: In disgust I sold it for a ZRX1200R. However, I just couldn't get that good Oilhead vibe out of my head and when this beauty showed up, I pulled the trigger.

PS - Yes, I'll be doing a spline lube on this beast, lol.

Ride on!
Craig
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

You've peaked my interest re: the spline lube. It's been a while since I've owned an R and only vaguely recall the discussion/issue.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

The clutch plate is how all the torque of the engine is transferred from the engine to the trans to the rear.

The clutch plate hardly (a fraction or an inch) moves at all, you engage and it really just relieves the pressure and lets the plate slip. Over the years people have come to believe that by greasing the splines it will reduce ware or prevent the spline failures.

Doesn't have much to do with a failure of the spines.(if any)

The only real reason to grease the splines (and is a valid reason) is to stop OXIDATION of the shaft. When I pulled mine apart at 169K there was a slight bit of what looked to be residue from the factory assembly, but dry w/ almost no ware. (my machine lives mostly in arid Mojave desert.)

If you think that your shaft is rusting up by all means grease it. If it will make you sleep better..same,

FWIW
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thanks for the explanation. I do like a project (half the reason I own a m/c, the other is to ride it). Whether I'll undertake it is another matter, but it's always fun to think about and consider-
kirby

Post by kirby »

I find there is always a project to do on my moto, so much to do and so little time!!!

What ever you take off be sure and have plenty of thread locker when reassembly time comes!

BTW, that little picture you have up is exactly what I did at about 4 years old with a bobby pin, had curly hair till then..they say I was never the same after...don't know if that's good or bad.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

kirby wrote:The clutch plate is how all the torque of the engine is transferred from the engine to the trans to the rear.

The clutch plate hardly (a fraction or an inch) moves at all, you engage and it really just relieves the pressure and lets the plate slip. Over the years people have come to believe that by greasing the splines it will reduce ware or prevent the spline failures.

The only real reason to grease the splines (and is a valid reason) is to stop OXIDATION of the shaft. When I pulled mine apart at 169K there was a slight bit of what looked to be residue from the factory assembly, but dry w/ almost no ware. (my machine lives mostly in arid Mojave desert.)
Words of wisdom... and approx 200K miles on your Rockster without spline failure?

Welcome back CNorris. I'm about deliver my Rockster to brother, and already thinking about a replacement oilhead after I sell another bike. 20 years with oilheads gets under your skin.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I consider lubing of the splines the excuse to open it and inspect, so you can feel better and move on.

OP. SICK deal. Id buy a busted up 1150 for 2200 CONGRATS!
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
kirby

Post by kirby »

sweatmark wrote:
kirby wrote:The clutch plate is how all the torque of the engine is transferred from the engine to the trans to the rear.

Words of wisdom... and approx 200K miles on your Rockster without spline failure?

Welcome back CNorris. I'm about deliver my Rockster to brother, and already thinking about a replacement oilhead after I sell another bike. 20 years with oilheads gets under your skin.

In Knoxville Tn and just rolled over 260K. 300K on old heads and I can't think of an easier machine to ride and service although its a PIA to crab the frame. Once you do it couple of time not that hard.
Almost all the service can be done sitting on its centerstand.
All you need is a manual a good digital meter and hand tools, no dealer required. :D :biggrin:

And its no pushover in the bends!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

kirby wrote: In Knoxville Tn and just rolled over 260K. 300K on old heads and I can't think of an easier machine to ride and service although its a PIA to crab the frame. Once you do it couple of time not that hard.
Almost all the service can be done sitting on its centerstand.
All you need is a manual a good digital meter and hand tools, no dealer required. :D :biggrin:

And its no pushover in the bends!
Since we don't have "Like" buttons here...

:smt023

kirby, you and that ADV guy with 500k+ miles on R1100GS are inspirations!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby

Post by kirby »

Had a R1100 gs And I think it was much better for adventure 'cause it had the real low 1st from the R80 (r80/100 trans) !!you could crawl along and never touch the clutch!!
Some day we need to all get together out west and....

Yipee

Take care of your machine and get to know it and it will serve you!!!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
CNorris
Basic User

Post by CNorris »

The clutch plate is how all the torque of the engine is transferred from the engine to the trans to the rear.

If you think that your shaft is rusting up by all means grease it. If it will make you sleep better..same,

FWIW

Yes, you are correct. You have to forgive me, I own an Airhead too (and might be one, lol). I am very interested in the modified clutch plate that addresses the issue. I have been riding for over 30 years now and have never liked a bike as much as my R1150R. Hence the huge disappointment when my original one fragged. It is what it is. 62K of great riding. Anyway, at $2200 to buy in for this '02 R1150R, with 30K on it, I figure I'm ahead enough that if/when the spline thing happens again, I'll get the revised clutch and a new/used tranny, if needed. I still think I'm ahead on the $ even with that worst case scenario. Fingers crossed I'm a lucky one that goes 100K. I might go in there to look and lube next winter.
This site is a terrific resource for us and I appreciate the words of wisdom and encouragement.
Ride on!

C.Norris (no, not that one)
Craig