Front Brake Pad Replacement Question.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Front Brake Pad Replacement Question.

Post by RadicalR1150R »

I put new pads on the front of the R. Wheel has a slight drag when on the center stand.. Took it down the street & all is good, although rotors are just a bit warm.. Will this drag go away when the pads are bedded in?
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Front Brake Pad Replacement Question.

Post by towerworker »

Little bit of drag is normal. Mine (04) has always had a slight bit. I've 90K and have never had a issue.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Make sure the reservoir isn't overfilled.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

I don't think they should be dragging. Sometimes as you wear out a set of pads and brake dust and dirt accummulate on the pistons, then you push them back in further for the new (thicker) pads, the dust and dirt can make them sticky (don't retract enough when you let off the brakes). I like to clean up the pistons (brake cleaner on Q-tips) and put some silicon lube on them before pushing them back in. Just a thought...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
RadicalR1150R
Lifer

Post by RadicalR1150R »

OK thanks for the replies. It's all good.. My 11 mile ride in this am & rotors were cool to the touch, & back home too.
Guess I'm over worrying it. I did clean one side of caliper, other side yet to do. Drew off fluid from reservoir before pushing back pistons.

I've a renewed interest with the bike this season & have done a lot of the required with the helpful advice of the forum.
iABS module flush, speed bleeder's installed on calipers & clutch, engine oil & filter, clutch, FD, Trans, plugs/primary secondary/pads front, rear(pending), cam chain tensioner upgrade, right side pannier system case repaired, black exhaust wrap, K&N filter serviced.
Will adjust the valves soon also..
Thanks again everyone.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I guess I should clarify.....when I say a little bit of drag I mean I can hear the pads lightly rubbing on the rotor(s). But not enough to visibly slow the wheel down if on the center stand and give the wheel a spin.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

Yes, assuming the discs run true, there is little to push the pads/pistons back into the calipers. Maybe heating and cooling is normally enough to open a gap up.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Just watched José Castaño, my local expert bike mechanic in his workshop in Antas, Spain, renewing the fluid in Motorcycling Mo's 2004 R1150GS Adv. Fluid in brake and clutch circuits after only one year was like Nescafé.
Moral: change fluids O F T E N !
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Hmmm.....after one year the color of coffee...wonder why ? My bike's fluid - after two years - was mostly clear. I said mostly because the rear system's was slightly brown. Again...wonder why it varies ?
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Atmospherics maybe. Here in Southern Spain we get loads of talcum-powder-style fine dust from the Sahara Desert borne on the breezes that caress these shores. Coats everything, every horizontal surface and every human and animal skin and coat in a patina of ultra-fine dust. And hydraulic fluid sucks it all up.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

towerworker wrote:I guess I should clarify.....when I say a little bit of drag I mean I can hear the pads lightly rubbing on the rotor(s). But not enough to visibly slow the wheel down if on the center stand and give the wheel a spin.
You are correct Wayne. I don't know how this was missed, but here is a very detailed "education" on brake bleeding, fluid replacement and caliper tear-down cleaning, with specific instructions for an R1150R (near the end):
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30659

RadicalR1150R, I am sure that after reading the entire post, there will be a realization that the calipers must come apart to clean out the gunk. BTW, Re: your profile, I do not reload, but I do shoot.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
RadicalR1150R
Lifer

Post by RadicalR1150R »

WOW.......Thanks Rob. This is definitely required reading in the weeks ahead..
I will learn....