Starting problem

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Cohiba54
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Starting problem

Post by Cohiba54 »

2004 R1150R
Battery is dead, hook up the charger but it indicates the battery is full. Turn on ignition with charger hooked up indicator shows no voltage but yet shows 5 amps. Hit the start button nothing not even a click. I have tried using the start boost with the ignition on and did get clicking sound when I hit the starter button but no starter turns.

Any input on what is happening would be helpful
BTW
I have a video but don’t know how to put it in the post
Rene
See Ya Down The Road!
04 R1150R
02 R1150R
00 K1200LT
88 Concourse
72 Bonnie 650
72 CB750K
Cohiba54
Basic User

Re: Starting problem

Post by Cohiba54 »

Rene
See Ya Down The Road!
04 R1150R
02 R1150R
00 K1200LT
88 Concourse
72 Bonnie 650
72 CB750K
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Simple stuff first:I would hook up your multi meter and see if the battery reads 12 volts or l more. If it doesn't then your battery is bad. If it does show 12 volts then you probably have a broken connection between the battery and the starter. I'd start by cleaning the terminals.
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

I would start from making sure the bike is in neutral gear (or off the side stand with clutch engaged) - you should hear the fuel pump working for a second after ignition is turned on,

then check all the fuses,

then VERY IMPORTANT: connect healthy battery (or sufficient jumper) ,

then move under the starter cover and check the presence of "+" on starter solenoid (thinnest black wire, not 2 bulky positives) when you push the start button. It should jump to "+" once you push the button with consequent starter solenoid engagement and attempt to rotate the engine. If there is a jumping '+' on the solenoid and no sound from the starter (or solid click and no rotation) - you have a bad starter, if no '+' - then start tracing the black cable from starter solenoid backwards to the battery checking all components along the route, starter relay, side stand switch, start button in this sequence.

It should not be that difficult to figure out and troubleshoot. Motronic brain is not involved in the process of initial engine rotation by the starter, most complex component to deal with is a starter relay. Good luck.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

A simple voltmeter will only read a "no load" voltage. You mentioned in your video the voltmeter on your charger went blank when you switched on ignition. My guess is that your battery is toast. You didn't say how old it was. A small load on the battery and it dropped to basically unreadable. That's a darn good sign your battery is bad. -
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Cohiba54
Basic User

Post by Cohiba54 »

ok finally got to time to mess with the bike. I got it going with a new battery starts up and runs and drives just like normal, but! Now I have almost zero rear brake, front brake is perfect. I do hear the buzz when I squeeze the front break leave but no buzz from a press of the rear break peddle.

Any idea what is happening and how to fix what ever is messed up now?
Rene
See Ya Down The Road!
04 R1150R
02 R1150R
00 K1200LT
88 Concourse
72 Bonnie 650
72 CB750K
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Uh - oh....
Sounds like the dreaded iABS failure.
But take some condolence from the fact that at least you discovered the real reason for the no-start. With the help of our colleagues on this forum.
Dead battery.
If you have the loot and the inclination, before plumping for yet another old-fashioned lead-acid or gel or matte battery, take a look at the price and availability of the fantastic Li-Po models.

in the last few years, I've had three Shorai Li-Po batteries on my various bikes. What a revelation. Spins that starter like gangbusters. And never self-discharges during non-use. Just like your Li-Po-battery-powered portable drill.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike