Battery neg pole connector

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Battery neg pole connector

Post by sykospain »

My bike has suffered at the hands of a few previous Weekend Warriors, who basically p*ssed about with it, to no obvious positive purpose, when they were bored, the weather was awful and they couldn't go out for a ride.

Like simply lobbing off the wire feeds to the Heated Grips because they didn't realise that the non-working condition was simply due to a blown Fuse # 7. Investigating the reason for that blow would have been far more constructive than simply abandoning the heated grips facility altogether by slicing through the cable feeds. They live and breathe among us.

Take for instance the connector on the end of the Neg cable to the battery Neg post. Surely it shouldn't be a right-angle bracket with a captive bolt like in the picture ? Simply a ring-terminal connector, just like the Pos.... Am I right ?

https://s26.postimg.cc/bo2zzf23d/Batter ... nector.jpg

I need to establish this before I replace the current year 2007 AGM gel- battery and invest in another one of these :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shorai-LFX-L ... Xqp3K#rwid
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Re: Battery neg pole connector

Post by Sunbeemer »

This is the same connector that was original on my '02. Maybe it's engineered to keep it from contacting the underside of the tank?
I don't know why that should matter since the frame is negatively grounded (no sparks), but you know the Germans are belt and suspenders Manner :)
Rich
ADIOS!
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

sykospain wrote:My bike has suffered at the hands of a few previous Weekend Warriors, who basically p*ssed about with it, to no obvious positive purpose, when they were bored, the weather was awful and they couldn't go out for a ride.

Like simply lobbing off the wire feeds to the Heated Grips because they didn't realise that the non-working condition was simply due to a blown Fuse # 7. Investigating the reason for that blow would have been far more constructive than simply abandoning the heated grips facility altogether by slicing through the cable feeds. They live and breathe among us.

Take for instance the connector on the end of the Neg cable to the battery Neg post. Surely it shouldn't be a right-angle bracket with a captive bolt like in the picture ? Simply a ring-terminal connector, just like the Pos.... Am I right ?

https://s26.postimg.cc/bo2zzf23d/Batter ... nector.jpg

I need to establish this before I replace the current year 2007 AGM gel- battery and invest in another one of these :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shorai-LFX-L ... Xqp3K#rwid

If your asking if it the Shorai will work with that connector, mine does. I also use their charger.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Nice to know that Mike - Apparently Shorai have European representation these days. A few years ago when I first got one, it was about five weeks' delivery and I had to pay an extra bunce to the Boys at the Border for topping up their Holiday Fund.
And yes, Rich, thanks for confirming that the connector must be one of the few things that wasn't fiddled with by the P.O.(s)
But that extra length would be MORE likely to touch the underside of the tank maybe ?
Thanks for your comments fellahs. I await my Germany-supplied Shorai with interest and anticipation.
AL in sunny Andalucía
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

I don't know why that should matter since the frame is negatively grounded (no sparks), but you know the Germans are belt and suspenders Manner :)[/quote]

In Britain, that implies something quite different about the German predelictions. :lol:
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

And my Austin Healey BJ8 leaks like crazy in the rain and the defrosters/wipers are almost! useless.
Go figure in one of the wettest climates "over there" it was designed...Makes me remember my old Brit bike days...Lucas "prince of darkness"

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER