fuel quick disconnects again

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hyja1
Lifer

fuel quick disconnects again

Post by Hyja1 »

In 2002, two months after I bought my r1150, I was stranded on a coast road. My bike stopped running and fuel was dripping down. I called for a tow to a dealer, (closed on Sunday) and the tow truck drive gave me a ride home. Picked up the bike the following week and the dealer told me that he had replaced these “disconnects” and I would not have any more problems......

After learning about these disconnects, I finally ordered a metal set from the boneyard, but never installed them. I thought maybe my disconnects would be ok.... well, yesterday morning, while warming up my bike for a Saturday ride, guess what.... fuel dripping down from the disconnects. Canceled the ride and this morning went to work to install new disconnects. Discovered the male plastic piece had cracked and a slight pushed snapped it completely off.

I couldn’t get the stock clamps to come off without using a dremel to cut them off. A little dicey with sparks flying around fuel vapors.... and then it took a lot of swearing to get the old parts to come out of the tubing... installed everything and all is well. A good feeling looking at the new disconnects and proper clamps.

Moral of story. If you havent replaced your plastic disconnects, do so because they WILL fail and probably not close to home where I was lucky the second time around......
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Re: fuel quick disconnects again

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Sage advice indeed. If you are still running the stock connectors it's not a matter of if, but when they will leak.
One of the first mods performed on the 2002 when purchased.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Thx for the heads up. I haven’t had the chance to even look under the tank of my new-to-me ‘03. Assuming if I understand correctly that the bike came with plastic disconnects that are destined to fail? I’ll have a look maybe I’ll get lucky and find that a P.O. already swapped them out.
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

You’re lucky if they only start leaking — mine let loose with a high pressure spray that soaked my right leg in seconds. Change ‘em now.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650