Purchased 2004 R1150R yesterday, suggestions neeed

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Purchased 2004 R1150R yesterday, suggestions neeed

Post by Barista »

New member here, just want to say thanks to you guys for this board and all the info I've been soaking up here. Yesterday I bought a 2004 R1150R ABS with 5,200 miles. Totally stock condition except for upgraded tail lights. I've been away from cycling for about 15 years but anxious to get back. I'm dying to improve the ergonomics and lowering the foot pegs is my number one priority. I'm 6' and long legged. With my feet on the pegs it feels like I'm squating. Not worried about scraping, I corner like a Grandma. From what I've read on this board, it sounds like the Wunderlich peg lowering kit should be my first upgrade. I'll do most of my own mechanical work and maintanence, but also thinking a trip to the local dealership to get to know them and have them check it over would be a good start. Thoughts?

Other definite priorities after the pegs....windscreen, throttle lock, saddle bags, phone mount OR tank bag with window-pocket on top.

Also considering....Tall seat, bar risers, signal canceling, power outlets.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Purchased 2004 R1150R yesterday, suggestions neeed

Post by kirby »

Looks like a winner and a great find. The '04s seem to be a good year, I have one and I know two other riders that have '04s and we all have had very good luck with them.
It being not modified except for a minor light change is defiantly in your favor!
I wouldn't buy one that somebody has modified.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Congratulations, and welcome! It's a great bike that will do most things well, imo (I'm on my 3rd variation after a short hiatus).

I'm in the middle of a foot peg lowering thing myself. If you scroll down a bit you can see the thread of where I am at the moment. There's also a tall seat available as you know-they do show up on eBay...and bar risers will open up the riding position some. Sadly they did away with the adjustable seat that was on my r850r as it offered the option of changing heights by changing a few bolts underneath- quick and easy.

Also, fwiw, my bike came with the sport shield which works well without being as big as the touring screen. Your taller so you may want more height depending...

My bike's previous owner also installed a usb power outlet on the bars. So far I haven't used it as I don't have a phone/gps mount but intend to add that at some point after a few other things.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've an '04 with about 91,000 miles. Love it and a great bike. Let me make a maintenance suggestion. That bike obviously spent a lot of time sitting. Annual ABS system service is a MUST! Involves bleeding the entire system. Not difficult but can be a bit tedious. The iABS system pump (you hear a whining sound when you hit the brakes---that's the system pump running) is very unforgiving of lack of service. And currently that pump is not rebuildable. A new pump is in excess of $2400. I'm not sure what a dealer charges for the service but I'd guess $300.00+ so it's not difficult to learn how to do it yourself. I'm on a lunch break so no time to find and post the service links but I can do it later if someone doesn't in the meantime. But it's well worth the effort to research. The i in iABS stands for 'Integral".

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

Thanks Wayne, that sounds like good advise and I'll look forward to seeing that service link for the brakes. When I asked the original owner if he had any maintenance records he said "I did have the brake fluid changed once and got new tires when the originals were about 5 years old". I'm taking it very easy on these 9 year old tires till I can get them changed, (soon).

I didn't notice until after I got it home but the cam that adjusts the front brake lever is completely missing. There's just a hole there, and the brakes seem to grab with just a slight touch. From what I've read, the grabby brake might be a normal characteristic of this bike but I also wonder if this missing adjuster cam is adding to the problem.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I have a 04 also but without the ABS. Never had any brake grabbing type problems, they might just need to be used a little to get the moisture out of the pads.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Here are some links:
http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick/Br ... 4-'07).pdf

Bleed funnel
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... mber=10156 (I followed this procedure--correction on my earlier statement....I think BMW recommends every 2 yrs instead of annually.)

There are several pages out there concerning ABS service, my bike sat unridden for 3 years while I was recovering from an illness. This was from 5/10 to about mid 2013. Shortly after resuming riding I had ABS warning/failure lights. A system bleed did not correct the issue so I ended up removing the system and re-plumbing to standard brakes. And to comment on the "grabbiness" of the brakes......pretty much normal. The iABS system is actually a power assisted system so it takes much less brake pressure on the lever. Another reality.....the brakes are linked. So when you pull the front lever you are applying braking forces to both wheels. You do NOT need to brake as you probably learned i.e; first rear brake followed by front. I did that when I first bought the '04. Within 18,000 miles I went thru two sets of rear pads and a rear rotor. After learning to leave the rear pedal alone my rear pads (and rotor) lasted 50K. Rotor is still good.

(oh....one other thing.....look into an antifreeze change as well) --- tankside radiators......
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Just to add my usual caveat - please guys who are regulars on here forgive my harping on and on about the same possible fault scenario....

The hydraulically operated single-plate dry clutch
A fault-prone and out-dated design which BMW Motorrad used continuously from the Second World War right up to the total revision of the boxer motor back in 2014, when they outsourced a Chinese multi-plate wet clutch, along with loads of other Chinese-made components.

Hidden in front ( as you sit on the bike ) of the rear wheel suspension strut and hard to access right behind a transverse stiffening bar, bolted to the back end of the bell-housing is a tiny under-specified slave cylinder made by the Slowak firm "Magura", who intended it for use on modern push-bikes, not in a heavy-duty motorcycle. Its tiny bearing, spinning at motor revs. when you hold in the clutch ever, seizes up and dies for fun. It then lets fluid creep forwards along the actuating rod to ruin the dry friction plate.

If the ridiculously-low displayed mileage on your bike is genuine, it's obviously been stored for several years. So the hydraulic fluid in the clutch system will have gradually absorbed moisture, leading to corrosion in the mechanism, especially in that pesky, inadequate slave cylinder.

My oft-repeated advice is to IMMEDIATELY investigate the condition of the slave cylinder and if there's any doubt, replace it and do a complete fluid swill-out. This will avoid any chance in the future of your clutch lever action suddenly becoming ineffective. There are many U-Toob vids on this subject, especially by the colourfully-spoken Chris Harris.

And another thing....
BMW Motorrad dealers vary widely in quality of workmanship, expertise, shop charges and honesty. These bikes are a doddle to DIY-maintain, so don't be too keen to hand over wads of loot to a local BMW Dealer.

And may I add a note to fellow contributor 'Towerworker', regarding his comment about anti-freeze...

1150cc motors are OIL and air cooled. Not glycol/water. That came later with the total redesign of the boxer motor.

Buena suerte,

AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

sykospain wrote:Just to add my usual caveat - please guys who are regulars on here forgive my harping on and on about the same possible fault scenario....

The hydraulically operated single-plate dry clutch
A fault-prone and out-dated design which BMW Motorrad used continuously from the Second World War right up to the total revision of the boxer motor back in 2014, when they outsourced a Chinese multi-plate wet clutch, along with loads of other Chinese-made components.

Hidden in front ( as you sit on the bike ) of the rear wheel suspension strut and hard to access right behind a transverse stiffening bar, bolted to the back end of the bell-housing is a tiny under-specified slave cylinder made by the Slowak firm "Magura", who intended it for use on modern push-bikes, not in a heavy-duty motorcycle. Its tiny bearing, spinning at motor revs. when you hold in the clutch ever, seizes up and dies for fun. It then lets fluid creep forwards along the actuating rod to ruin the dry friction plate.

If the ridiculously-low displayed mileage on your bike is genuine, it's obviously been stored for several years. So the hydraulic fluid in the clutch system will have gradually absorbed moisture, leading to corrosion in the mechanism, especially in that pesky, inadequate slave cylinder.

My oft-repeated advice is to IMMEDIATELY investigate the condition of the slave cylinder and if there's any doubt, replace it and do a complete fluid swill-out. This will avoid any chance in the future of your clutch lever action suddenly becoming ineffective. There are many U-Toob vids on this subject, especially by the colourfully-spoken Chris Harris.

I'd agree - I had clutch failure at high mileages (70K IIRC), the slave push rod actually friction welded itself to the plate.

sykospain wrote: And another thing....
BMW Motorrad dealers vary widely in quality of workmanship, expertise, shop charges and honesty. These bikes are a doddle to DIY-maintain, so don't be too keen to hand over wads of loot to a local BMW Dealer.
Yup - as in all markets, some are good, some are lazy.
sykospain wrote: And may I add a note to fellow contributor 'Towerworker', regarding his comment about anti-freeze...

1150cc motors are OIL and air cooled. Not glycol/water. That came later with the total redesign of the boxer motor.

That's all you know. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

My motor coolant has never frozen up, thanks to Towerworkers timely annual advice.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

One of my sons years ago decided to help out his girlfriend of the time by topping-up her car's brake fluid. Only he put the DOT4 in the screen-wash bottle. When she found out she kicked him all the way down the driveway. End of a beautiful relationship.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Markhilken
Basic User

Post by Markhilken »

Regarding seat height, I am also 6' and the only way I am remotely comfortable is when I'm sitting on an old carrhart winter hoodie folded up that adds more than 4" to seat height. Considering there are no seats with that height available I'll be custom making my own.