Burnt Rubber Smell Solved!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

JeffEd65
Basic User

Burnt Rubber Smell Solved!

Post by JeffEd65 »

I kept getting a burnt rubber smell after a ride. Checked for rubber hoses and washers on top of the catalytic converter but nothing found. I then noticed a smaller than expected clearance between the paralever arm and tire sidewall. Bingo! Wrong tire installed 3K miles ago! It’s supposed to be a 170/60/ZR17. Instead, my local shop installed a Metzeler Roadtec 01 180/55/ZR17 back tire. It’s too wide. It’s also too late to do anything about it. These tires are stupid expensive. The rub is so slight you can’t see any evidence on the tire itself. However, it is leaving a black mess on the paralever and even some on the swing arm. I hate that both I and my local shop missed this. We both checked the size before buying. Not sure what happened. I’m gonna keep the tire pressure up and live with it for now. I don’t see as a safety issue as the rub is very light and way out on the sharp edge of the sidewall. But still...grrrr.
Hyja1
Lifer

Re: Burnt Rubber Smell Solved!

Post by Hyja1 »

It seems that 170/60/ZR17 tires are harder to find these days. Not sure why manufacturers are eliminating this size from the model line.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Hyja1 wrote:It seems that 170/60/ZR17 tires are harder to find these days. Not sure why manufacturers are eliminating this size from the model line.
180 is becoming the standard for "big" bikes, the 170 is an odd size, it was never that popular.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

JeffEd65 wrote:I kept getting a burnt rubber smell after a ride. Checked for rubber hoses and washers on top of the catalytic converter but nothing found. I then noticed a smaller than expected clearance between the paralever arm and tire sidewall. Bingo! Wrong tire installed 3K miles ago! It’s supposed to be a 170/60/ZR17. Instead, my local shop installed a Metzeler Roadtec 01 180/55/ZR17 back tire. It’s too wide. It’s also too late to do anything about it. These tires are stupid expensive. The rub is so slight you can’t see any evidence on the tire itself. However, it is leaving a black mess on the paralever and even some on the swing arm. I hate that both I and my local shop missed this. We both checked the size before buying. Not sure what happened. I’m gonna keep the tire pressure up and live with it for now. I don’t see as a safety issue as the rub is very light and way out on the sharp edge of the sidewall. But still...grrrr.

What was the tyre that was on previously? (make/model/size)

It could be that one 180 is slightly wider than another.

IIRC the R1150R is fitted with the 5" rim - which means a 180 won't fit properly anyway.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

No problem over here, 170/60/ZR17 widely available.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

The big retailer mototyres in the UK lists no less than sixty different tyres of that size 170 by 60 by ZR17 - all the major EU brands including the well-recommended Shinko from the Far East. Average cost a hundred snoojits.
Almost every European patrol bike needs that size for its rear wheel, so no way is production going to be curtailed.
AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike