Access to battery terminals? USB outlet wiring & mounting.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Access to battery terminals? USB outlet wiring & mounting.

Post by Barista »

I've ordered a USB outlet. Thinking I'll mount it on the frame just behind the left fork tube. Now I'm wondering what is involved in getting access to the battery posts for connecting the power leads. Really hoping this won't require complete removal of the tank. Is it possible to just raise the rear of the tank a bit to get the leads bolted down on the battery posts? What all is involved in this process? I'm sure several of you have done this before, any advise appreciated. It seems like BMW could have made access to the battery easier.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Access to battery terminals? USB outlet wiring & mounting.

Post by kirby »

You should have a power plug by the starter on the left side. It shouldn't be very difficult to make a plug in power terminal.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Barista
Basic User

Post by Barista »

I could do that. I'm looking to use GPS on a handlebar mount and would prefer the cleaner look of something wired internally. That way would leave the plug by the starter free for use when the bike is sitting still.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
kirby

Post by kirby »

You can remove the cover and tap into the power behind the cover, how hard could that be? then you still have the plug. Its a way to access power without going to the terminals on the battery.(which is a pain and bad idea.)
Use your imagination, the power is right there.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Or you could easily tap one of the fuses in the electrical box...either ignition switched or always on are both available.
Rich
ADIOS!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

R1150R tank removal is important rite of ownership. Follow along with my YouTube DIY, the removal and reinstallation are easy to do.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Unfortunately, sweatmark is correct. Tank removal will be required. without a doubt, the most annoying thing about this bike is the battery, and it's location. After a lifetime of Honda's, I could not get my head around BMW's design decision to hide the battery like this.

I have a jump start battery kit, that I have to take the starter plate off if I have to jump the bike.

The upside, is that his video is stellar for the job.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

It's very difficult to only raise the 'back' end of the tank in order to fiddle with the battery terminals. Yes, battery access on these models is a real no-no, which the firm corrected on the newly-designed 1200cc models from 2013 onwards. Just lift the seat and pull some Tupperware.

I did once try the rear-end of tank lift, but scraped my knuckles and got alarmed by the possibility of short-circuiting the battery by fumbling with a spanner / wrench because of my worsening tremor, which is making routine dismantling for service ever more of a PITA. Now with a Shorai Li-Po starter battery, which is half the size, that method is slightly easier because the top of the battery is so much lower, requiring however as a downside a bodge of the rubber hold-down strap.

No with our boxers, it's essential to lift off the fuel tank, which means you have to undo the thirteen bolts, four fuel pipes, and an electrical connector - as detailed in sweatmark's excellent how-to video. On my R-Rockster of course the tank-side oil cooler radiators are an additional pain to leave dangling whilst you heave off the tank, which you no doubt topped-up with loads of fuel only the other day.

When wiring onto the battery terminals, even for a very low-draw feed like a USB outlet, it's sensible to get one of those made-up lead pairs which includes a fuse holder protected with a plastic cover.

I once shorted out a battery on my first K75 - you stand back in horror as the plastic insulation on the wiring flames like Sylvester's bomb-fuse, before you suddenly come to your senses and run away.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

Barista wrote:I could do that. I'm looking to use GPS on a handlebar mount and would prefer the cleaner look of something wired internally. That way would leave the plug by the starter free for use when the bike is sitting still.
You can use the power plug by the starter on the left side for your USB / GPS. Use a Hella 90 degree and it won't get in the way of your boots.
You will only use the GPS riding the bike. I do. While in the garage the power plug is available for whatever, charger for example.
I really don't see any advantages for a separate permanent connection for your USB connector.
A friend of mine sent me a Whatsapp today, that he forgot to take the Garmin GPS out of the power plug and left it in there for 3 days. His battery was dead. And you want a permanent connection to your battery for your USB whatever! :roll:
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
Barista
Basic User

Post by Barista »

Do a lot of you ride with a power cord running from the left-side power plug to the handlebar area? Does the cord flop around or get in the way? That's what I thought I'd want to avoid by running a line under the tank to the yoke. If the externally run cord doesn't cause any problem, and the plug isn't in the way of anything, then YES it would be much simpler to just plug into the existing outlet.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

I use a ram mount for my Garmin.

From the Garmin it goes down under the fuel tank over the oil cooler lines and then back to the seat. The cable is a bit long, so I fold to the right length under the seat.

This is where it goes down from under the seat to the left side connector.

No flopping cable. I have size 12 boots and no problem with the Hella 90 degree connector.
I have used it this way for over 5000 km and never a problem.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
Barista
Basic User

Post by Barista »

Thanks for the photos Easybee, that helps a lot. Much simplier than what I was planning. Good to know that it won't flop around or get in the way like that. I'll do the same, except I've got my Ram mount on the left-side handlebar with the U-bolt beside the clutch reservoir.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

The system I had on my Rockster was a relay that was switched on by the circuit that powered the instrument lights (so, only on when the ignition was on), which then turned on the high-voltage circuit direct from the battery.

I also had a push button switch in the low-voltage circuit, so I could turn the whole accessory wiring loom off if necessary, very handy. All of the wiring was from a PIAA supplementary lights package that I had previously had on the bike (ie = this: http://www.piaa.com/store/p/948-PIAA-Wi ... ctors.aspx - it's a pre-assembled accessory lighting loom with everything you need - just connect to the bike in 3 places: battery+, battery-, and a live feed to turn it on (in my case, spliced into the instrument lighting power plus cable)).

Yes, It meant I had to remove the tank, but once you've done that a few times it becomes easy.

BTW - I'd recommend getting a USB socket with a waterproof cover and mounting it pointing DOWN.
The waterproof cover wont be (for starters), and if you ever get caught in the rain the socket WILL get rusty.

For my system, any exposed sockets were always buried under the tank where the rain couldn't get at them, and over the 7-8 years I had them fitted, it reduced corrosion markedly.

BTW - I ride in all weathers, my bike is a tool first, a plaything second, and I often don't have a car. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

kirby wrote:You should have a power plug by the starter on the left side. It shouldn't be very difficult to make a plug in power terminal.
I don't believe that is stock. I had to have my access plug put in.

Removing the tank isn't that bad as long as it's not for purposes of charging or jumping the bike. For the former you can connect the typical access wire lead to the terminals, for the latter I would have that plug by the starter put in.

For everything else, it's just two fuel line removals, an electrical connector removal, and two hose removals. Make sure on the hose removals you indicate which hose went where.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
kirby

Post by kirby »

Stock on a rockster and have never seen a 1150 w/o one.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

The outlet became standard equipment on RR's in 2004 even though its wiring harness was included since 2002 making it easy to install one.
Rich
ADIOS!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I agree with sweatmark......learning to confidently removing tank is a quickly learned skill. And necessary. I bet I've had mine off 30+ times in near 92,000 miles. I can remove it in 10 minutes or less. First time I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Took over an hour.
If I could meet the engineer who is responsible for that design I'd smack him. Besides that it helps to remove tank when it comes time to service the antifreeze radiators.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Sunbeemer wrote:The outlet became standard equipment on RR's in 2004 even though its wiring harness was included since 2002 making it easy to install one.
My new/old Rockster is build date 0203, without accessory socket. Previous Edition 80 (build 0303) had socket as part of the package.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote:Stock on a rockster and have never seen a 1150 w/o one.
IIRC two of my Rocksters didn't come with it. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Quote : "Besides that it helps to remove tank when it comes time to service the antifreeze radiators." - Towerworker - will you please stop it ! ? !
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike