2002 Front pads sticking after reinstalling calipers

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rogerbeemer02
Basic User

2002 Front pads sticking after reinstalling calipers

Post by rogerbeemer02 »

Hello!

I just replaced both tires on my '02 r1150r. Brake pads still in good shape, but brake pads stick after reinstalling the calipers.
Front wheel doesn't want to spin on center stand. Thoughts?

Thanks Much!

Roger
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: 2002 Front pads sticking after reinstalling calipers

Post by CycleRob »

Roger,
Being a 2002 model it is very likely the caliper pistons and caliper seals are contaminated with gummy old brake fluid residues mixed with brake dust. -and- have never been taken completely apart for cleaning (16 years!). Being new here (1 post so far) means you need a link like this:
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30659

It will give you dozens of helpful tips/instructions and most important, what NOT to do. Also, rather than sending a PM to the author, please post your questions here for all to read and learn.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

While replacing the rear brake pads on my 2002 I experienced brake drag.
The brake fluid was recently flushed after ABS removal. I pushed the pistons out (hydraulically) and cleaned them. Cleaned the pad slide pins, used Scotchbrite pads on the Rotor, cleaned with brake fluid, pushed the pistons in and installed EBC HH pads. The next ride was a hot day without much braking involved. So what did I do to cause the brake drag?
I never opened the reservoir since the fluid was so new. The new pads were thicker hence I had to push the pistons in further. This "overfilled" the reservoir reducing the required air space to allow for fluid expansion and forced the pistons out with the added heat. The fluid lever markers are there for a reason.
Lesson learned...... #-o
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Tundra Dweller,
You say you cleaned the pad slide pins, but did not mention that grease was put inside the rubber accordion bellows that the pins fit inside. Also, "Pushing the pistons out" may not be that they were actually removed so that the piston seals can be removed to clean gunk out of the seal trench groove and gunk off of the O-Ring's square section surfaces. THAT is where the gunk builds up over time, especially during tire removal and brake pad replacement. That's when some of the dirty brake dust that sticks to the exposed pistons gets pushed into the seal area and down and inside its' machined out rectangular trench. That stuff binds the pistons from moving and prevents the seals from flexing back, which pulls the piston(s) back after the brake pedal/lever is released. Then the brakes drag.
Recapping, it could be one or the other . . . . it's likely both areas doing the dirty deed.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--