Leaky fuel disconnect

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Leaky fuel disconnect

Post by sstein »

Replaced my plastic ones with the SS ones from BBY like 7 yrs ago. I've noticed some seepage from the disconnect that comes from the fuel pump line. Not bad, sort of comes and goes. More a nuisance than anything else.

Anyone experience this issue?
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Hyja1
Lifer

Re: Leaky fuel disconnect

Post by Hyja1 »

If the disconnect itself is seeping, it could be the O rings. You might want to take a look at them and give them a very light coat of Vaseline before reinstalling. Or better, replace them with a new set.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

If the disconnect itself is seeping, it could be the O rings. You might want to take a look at them and give them a very light coat of Vaseline before reinstalling. Or better, replace them with a new set.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
sstein

Post by sstein »

I did notice the o-rings and thought about replacement. Thanks fur that good advice. I'll call BBY and see if they carry those.
2002 R1150R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've cycled my QD's (Beemer Boneyard's) countless times over the years from maintenance, tank off and on etc. I've always smeared a light coat of silicone grease on the o-rings each time. So far so good.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sstein

Post by sstein »

Towerworker, by "cycled" do you mean you've replaced them multiple times? Have you ever changed only the o-rings?
2002 R1150R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Sorry to be so late in responding. I don't consistently get notifications. No by "cycled" I simply mean plug....unplug, and so on. I don't think I've ever replaced them but I am careful to put a small amount of silicone grease on the O-ring each time. 92K and counting.

I'm referring to the brass/chrome ones sold by Beemer Boneyard. The oem's by BMW seem to be good for only a year or two. My '03's snapped at 16K and '04 a year or so longer. (And that was while I was riding!) They're junk.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Sometimes, what seems to be a leak at a QD can actually be the fault of a pinch-to-clamp-tight OEM hose fixing that's got tired, or the rubber it's holding on to has deteriorated. Remember BMW Motorrad only guarantees the rubber components on its vehicles for a mere five years, and that a good-condition fuel pump in the tank can send juice to the injectors at nigh-on 3 bar pressure.

To repeat what a Spanish tecnico once told me:
He put his finger over the end of a boxer-bike's injector to check flow, turned on the key and the old-type single-shot injector fired the fuel into his finger so hard that it cut him.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike