One heated grip

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

One heated grip

Post by Barista »

Today was the first time to try the factory heated grips on this bike and only the left side works. Any tips on what things I should check to track down the issue with the right side grip?
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Re: One heated grip

Post by Photoguy »

Not sure if this is of any help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBX2qWHfHHc

If you do find yourself having to cut off the rubber grip to get inside, replacements are available, there's a few threads about them.
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Very likely, a broken wire around the steering head .
Looks like it's time to remove the fuel tank and start looking for the broken wire, most likely the metal conductor will be broken, not the insulation, the fun begins !!
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

If I remember right at the top of frame just several inches down from the steering head there are several wiring harness connections (tank off). There are two small small ones (2 conductors in and out) one to left grip and other to the right. A good place to start checking voltages.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Funny that - it's usually the left side HG that goes first, because it's the grip that you haul on to lift the bike up onto its centre-stand.

Yes, I'm afraid it's the Tank Off job - only thirteen screws, four fuel line connectors, an electrical plug and a large Torx-head bolt to remove for that simple procedure, which of course is after you've moved away the two side fairings - thanks Fritz for your innovative design. Same for if you simply want to get at the battery for replacement.

Seriously, coming off the white connector strapped to the top of the backbone are 2 short feeds to 2 separate black twin-wire connectors. Those connectors are switched by your handlebar 3-position HG switch. That's where you play about with your voltmeter.

https://i.postimg.cc/XvQ4cx8Y/Mo_GSA_Un ... ectors.jpg
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Barista wrote:Today was the first time to try the factory heated grips on this bike and only the left side works. Any tips on what things I should check to track down the issue with the right side grip?
Back in the day, the common R1150** problem was wire break at outside end of RHS heated grip: not enough slack in the wire inside handlebar, wire break due to throttle tube rotation.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Aaaahh, you hit the nail on the head sweatmark.

Last Spring when I played about for hours with the duff HGs on my Rockster, before I noticed that the wires heading down to the under-tank area had simply been lobbed off and hidden in there by a previous owner, I DID notice the lack of elbow-room in the in-tube wiring. The way the wires go to the outside edge of the throttle and double back in is daft - like so many of our Teutonic design engineer friends' ideas. They live in a separate fantasy microcosm.
By contrast, look at the simplicity and elegance of the Oxford-brand 3rd party HG design.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

Finally got the tank off and found the problem. You guys were right, syskospain, sweatmark, towerworker, and AZBMWRIDER. The wires are both broken somewhere between the connection under the tank and the right side grip but there's no place where the insulation looks damaged enough to cause a problem. There's some disfigurement to the insulation where the too-tight zip ties were, but otherwise they look like they should work fine. I pulled the connector apart and then stuck a safety pin into the wire an inch from the grip to test for continuity. None. So I cut the wire where I had pierced it with the pin and re-tested on the bench with more certain connections. Still none, in either of the wires going to the right side grip. On the plus side, there was good continuity on the up-stream side of my cut, so thankfully the grip itself isn't a problem. Tomorrow I'll solder in a new section of wire and life will be good. Thanks guys!
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Barista wrote:Finally got the tank off and found the problem. You guys were right, syskospain, sweatmark, towerworker, and AZBMWRIDER. The wires are both broken somewhere between the connection under the tank and the right side grip but there's no place where the insulation looks damaged enough to cause a problem. There's some disfigurement to the insulation where the too-tight zip ties were, but otherwise they look like they should work fine. I pulled the connector apart and then stuck a safety pin into the wire an inch from the grip to test for continuity. None. So I cut the wire where I had pierced it with the pin and re-tested on the bench with more certain connections. Still none, in either of the wires going to the right side grip. On the plus side, there was good continuity on the up-stream side of my cut, so thankfully the grip itself isn't a problem. Tomorrow I'll solder in a new section of wire and life will be good. Thanks guys!
Nice troubleshooting!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I had a failed left grip for a couple years. Finally got around to troubleshooting this past summer. Burned heating element within grip. I was replacing the worn out grip covers anyway, it wasn't difficult to find the burnt and severed wire on the grip tube and do a splice/repair. New ones are expensive, the repair wasn't.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint