Hello from new owner and questions!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

shahrkster
Basic User

Hello from new owner and questions!

Post by shahrkster »

Hey guys...just wanted to say hello to the fellow R1150 riders here and introduce myself and the bike.

Came across this 2004 BMW R1150R with 28K miles on it. My mind was like [-X [-X but my heart was :o ;) :D :). Not that I needed another bike...but what’s not to love about this styling right??? :D :D Non ABS and came with the side bags. Picked it up for $1550. Decent shape but it has been sitting for a while...I can tell. And it’s not been sitting in a garage either because there is cosmetic degradations - has been some degradation of the plastic and the bolts are rusted in a few places. Generally in good mechanical shape though. Electrically sound with all signals and lights working. There seems to be a lose connection on the tachometer for the red line bulbs but nothing unfixable or can’t live with.

Rides smoothly although there is a noticeable vibration when idling and starting from a stop. It smooths out pretty good around 3500rpms and I can cruise at that all day without a problem. However, at around 4000-4500rpms they come back...although not nearly as noticeable at pickup from a stop. Is this normal?? :?: :?:

I have noticed some oil leakage on the right fork so might have to check that out. Hoping for just dust in the seal.

I had trouble getting it in 3rd when doing the test ride but a little lube in the shift links fixed that.

Anywhere I can find the electronic version of the manual? I saw links around the forum for the AScyles but it errors out.

What are the oil change frequencies and types? Looks like this bike uses all kinds of different oils for the engine, tranny and final drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R