Neutral Light

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hottech
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Neutral Light

Post by Hottech »

Haven't been riding much lately and on my last adventure I noticed my Neutral light is not visible at low idle speeds. If I rev it up I can see the light so I know it is not the bulb. Was thinking maybe my alternator belt needs to be tighter but have investigated it as of yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :-k
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Neutral Light

Post by kirby »

You may indeed have a electrical problem. If you have a accessory plug put a meter on the center of the plug (+) lead and then to ground. Start the engine and raise the idle w/the start leaver or throttle lock and see what the alt is putting out. (or pull the seat and go directly to the batt terminals). Check that they are tight.

Should be in excess of 13 V.

The alternator belt would almost have to be completely almost gone to have the problem you describe. + other symptoms of electrical nature.

WAG (wild ass guess)

Lose or more likely corroded connections somewhere even in the light bulb socket or Batt connections?

Or the Battery/alternator/regulator going bad.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Hottech,
It very well could be the bulb. Most bulb failures happen when the coiled spring filament breaks in a "burned thin" area, breaking the connection. Then the larger broken end filament waves around with the vibration, or not. When you raise the RPMs, that likely makes the filament move enough to re-connect to the broken section and light up the bulb as the current flow lightly welds it to its former half. This will NOT last very long and the bulb will soon go dark for good.
Remove the bulb and take a look at the filament. It will look like it is old, burned and crinkled. I bet the clear glass has a black cloudy stain on the inside. Replace it.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

It's a well known fact that broken frayed wires in the are of the steering head area, due to plastic cable ties being installed too tight at the factory . I'd try turning the key to the run position and wiggle the wire harness around the steering head and see if you can duplicate the failure .
You may have a wire with one or two strands of wire still not broken and it needs more power to get the light to illuminate .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .