Fuel Starvation

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Fuel Starvation

Post by Bogdan »

It happened twice. First time, maybe 2 years ago. I hit reserve a mile from home and parked the bike. A week later my 04 wouldn't start - exhibiting signs of fuel starvation. I thought there was enough fuel but I poured in another gallon. After much reving - like when you add gas after running out - it started and ran fine. The second time was last weekend. The bike was parked with 74 miles showing on the trip meter - set to 0 the last time I filled up. A week later it wouldn't start - again, signs of not getting gas. I poured in a gallon and this time it started right away. I rode straight to a gas station and filled up; it would only take .8 gallon. So I had only used 1.8 gallons and the bike acted like it had run out of gas. I'm stumped....I've never owned a motorcycle with a fuel pump before. Why was the engine not getting gas ? More mysteriously....why did pouring in a gallon fix things when there was already plenty of gas ? Would the fuel sloshing around the tank, somehow, activate the pump ? Anyway.....any thoughts will be appreciated. In the 3+ years I've owned this 2004 R, these are the only instances I couldn't press the button and ride away.
Confused in Colorado.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Fuel Starvation

Post by kirby »

Since it SEEMS to be related to fuel.....

I certainly don't have an explanation for what you have described but as a WAG, I'd say the fuel pump might intermitly be working 'cause you have to have over 50 psi if I recall for normal ops.(not an out of gas problem).
Check the connections to the tank for corrosion and pull the fuse and clean. When it doesn't start turn off the key and listen while you turn it back on for the pump to run. It will till the pressure comes up.

Reset the ECU.

You may have a pump going south, or slight chance of plugged filter or ign glitch...it does have a chance of being unrelated to fuel at all.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

I agree with the last comment of kirby's.
It sounds to me like a not-fuel-supply problem. Something else perhaps.
Does the pump make its comforting whirring sound when you turn on the key in the morning ?
If so, it's not the pump. Could be a blocked fuel filter. A bit of sh*te can possibly float around in there among all the turbulence and occasionally come to rest in a particular spot so as to block off the exit pipe completely.
The fuel pump's pressure is about two-and-a-half Bar - strong enough to knock your wig off.
And remember that the Greedy Berlin Pig only guarantees the rubber-compnents on its vehicles for a total of FIVE years. They only have a certain service life; after the end of it, they crack, crumb apart, perish and variously deteriorate.

You can check the fuel supply system quite easily by undoing the Quick Disconnect union in the 'return' fuel line just above the right-hand-side cylinder. See foto.
Switch the bike on but don't start it. Push a thin pencil or something into the return pipe to open the one-way valve in there and fuel should belt out of that union at a rate of knots into your face, up your sleeve, into your pocket or preferably into a well-placed bucket, having been squirted out of the tank by the force of the fuel pump, down into the throttle body injectors, and back up to the tank via the line which you've just interrupted.

That's the method I use to empty my fuel tank before I lift it off to get at the battery or whatever, instead of trying to heave a half-full tank around my back yard.

The other regular fault option on these four-spark-plugs bikes is of course the dreaded Ignition Stick Coils. They fail and produce symptoms of hesitation, total motor cut-out mid-ride, or general rough-running and all sorts of other 'carburation' hassles. They fail for fun. The stick coil is the long rubber thing that sits on the top of each main spark plug. About 100 snoojits each to replace.
Foto :-
https://i.postimg.cc/y6pdyB67/Fuel-Lines.jpg
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Much thanks...Kirby and Syko. I'll act on your advice next time this happening rears its' ugly head. Don't know when - of course - since it's been 2+ years between occurrences. Hopefully it won't be in some lonely spot far from anywhere. Many places are great to ride in but not great to break down. One thing I thought of.....could this be a venting problem ? Maybe opening the tank caused the fuel to flow again ? I had that problem with my klr - a crimped vent line. I don't know how the tank vents on the R1150.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

That's a possibility, I had a mud-plug in the end of my vent tube that prevented my tank from venting properly. When I'd go to refill the tank, the cap resisted opening and I heard air being sucked into the tank. You can check the ends of the drain hoses behind your right footpeg for plugs, or disconnect them at the unions under the right side panel (under the front seat) and blow through them (both ways) with the tank filler cap open. The only restriction should be in the hose going to the solenoid and then to the charcoal canister. Maybe the solenoid is not letting air into the tank to replace the fuel used?
Rich
ADIOS!
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I had a similar issue, and did the canisterectomy. Bike ran fine after that.

Also had a fuel filter clog and leave me on the side of the road, but was able to be back up and running a couple of hours later.

on the 4 spark bikes the stick coils are a pain but shouldn't leave you stranded. It just doesn't run as smooth and is a bear to try to sync. The coils that I have had go bad all looked a little swollen(like with moisture) compared to the new ones. I have a bit of luck that seems to make it rain hard whenever I travel by motorcycle.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!