R1150R frame pivot removal - is it possible?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

klaustukas
Basic User

R1150R frame pivot removal - is it possible?

Post by klaustukas »

Hello,

I'm new here and actually don't own R1150R but I am repairing my brothers bike. He is BMW fan :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have tried it and was fun to ride on it whole day but for me sport bikes are closer. But to maintain this bike is quite difficult if you compare with traditional Japanese sport bike :doubt:

The problem I found is failed clutch slave cylinder. I removed it but to put new is quite difficult because frame pivot interfere with it and there is very little space.

Can I just remove the frame pivot? I don't want to brake anything because it looks that all the load will transfer to gearbox bolts and the rest of engine mounting bolts.
Please see attached link to the picture for better understanding what about I'm talking :)
In picture is view from the rear (removed: exhaust, rear wheel, slave cylinder). With red arrow I marked pivot I need to remove.

https://ibb.co/jjkSjf
Last edited by klaustukas on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
klaustukas
Basic User

Re: R1150R frame pivot removal - is it possible?

Post by klaustukas »

I put in place this slave cylinder without removing pivot.
But for the future would be nice to have an answer about this situation. Is it possible to remove pivot without any damage to bike ?
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've never replaced mine but it's probably a good idea. Mine is a 2004 with about 93K. I've been on this board since 2003 and I've never heard anyone say they needed to remove pivot. So would it damage bike? My guess would be no. But it's a guess.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

It's not called the Frame Pivot. That's the rod under the end of the tank, directly above the Telelever pivot which allows the rear frame to be swung upwards for serious wrenching on these bikes.

No, the rod in your foto is the Rear Frame Cross Member.

I think personally that it's essential to remove this crossbar whenever the slave cylinder needs attention, but many others disagree and prefer to wriggle the item out from behind it. Me, no.

All you do is slide back into the air box the 2 air-inlet tubes connecting the throttle bodies to that air-filter box.

Then remove the two forward-facing 5mm screws at its RIGHT HAND end, slightly lift up and strap-up the rear frame after removing the rider's foot-pegs so as to reveal each end of the rod.

Then slide it out of the bike towards the RIGHT. Don't lose the big washer / distance piece at its left-hand end !

Then you have much easier access to the slave cylinder and the oil seal deep in the cavity which the cylinder sits in at the back of the gearbox.

https://postimg.cc/mzpF4Bv7

I always temporarily replace the rod when hauling the complete transmission-and-rear-wheel unit to and from the motor crankcase. It's a handy handle to ease the lifting and pulling and alignment operation.

AL in s.e. Spain, currently visiting the cold, wet, dull, miserable Divided Kingdom until such time as I can get back to the sunshine for Christmas.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
klaustukas
Basic User

Post by klaustukas »

towerworker wrote:I've never replaced mine but it's probably a good idea. Mine is a 2004 with about 93K. I've been on this board since 2003 and I've never heard anyone say they needed to remove pivot. So would it damage bike? My guess would be no. But it's a guess.
the problem is if it fails it makes big mess because it starts to leak fluid (brake fluid DOT4). In my brothers bike about one year ago was some problems with clutch so in workshop it was bleeded and it was like OK. But after some kilometers then the bike become warm the clutch handle becomes soft and almost not possible to change gears. On cold was OK until it become completely failed.

Then I took to repair it. At first I checked master cylinder but it was OK but I noticed very dirty clutch fluid with some sediment.
After I removed the slave cylinder it was already late. Lots of dirty brake fluid inside. I took apart the slave cylinder and one of the seals on piston was gone and the cylinder walls was damaged so no possibility to repair it. Ordered new.

What is interesting the clutch fluid didn't leak and always was on good level.

Also this slave cylinder has small ball bearing and how I understand you can not buy it because it is made by some kind of special BMW order.

My advice if you see some problems with clutch - check the slave cylinder and if you see any damage on it or bearing just replace with new one.
Last edited by klaustukas on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klaustukas
Basic User

Post by klaustukas »

sykospain wrote:It's not called the Frame Pivot. That's the rod under the end of the tank, directly above the Telelever pivot which allows the rear frame to be swung upwards for serious wrenching on these bikes.

No, the rod in your foto is the Rear Frame Cross Member.

I think personally that it's essential to remove this crossbar whenever the slave cylinder needs attention, but many others disagree and prefer to wriggle the item out from behind it. Me, no.

All you do is slide back into the air box the 2 air-inlet tubes connecting the throttle bodies to that air-filter box.

Then remove the two forward-facing 5mm screws at its RIGHT HAND end, slightly lift up and strap-up the rear frame after removing the rider's foot-pegs so as to reveal each end of the rod.

Then slide it out of the bike towards the RIGHT. Don't lose the big washer / distance piece at its left-hand end !

Then you have much easier access to the slave cylinder and the oil seal deep in the cavity which the cylinder sits in at the back of the gearbox.

https://postimg.cc/mzpF4Bv7

I always temporarily replace the rod when hauling the complete transmission-and-rear-wheel unit to and from the motor crankcase. It's a handy handle to ease the lifting and pulling and alignment operation.

AL in s.e. Spain, currently visiting the cold, wet, dull, miserable Divided Kingdom until such time as I can get back to the sunshine for Christmas.
Big thanks for your answer !! ;)