Baby, it's cold out there...

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Baby, it's cold out there...

Post by Photoguy »

Daytime temps have been averaging in the low 20's with occasional single digits over-night for the last few weeks around here. Makes me really miss the warmer weather and the ability to ride. I've seen only a few bikes on the road since the late fall, a fully decked out GS last week and a few Harleys with the really big touring screens that likely provide some shelter.

So, my bike has been put to bed for a while. Battery tender is plugged in and is anxiously waiting for the next few months to pass.

I came across this chart which I found interesting, especially the differences in cold and hot weather 'adjustments'. Have to say I didn't understand why the 'feels like' temps went up on the higher end of the scale. Maybe it's just a completely bogus chart - LOL!!

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Baby, it's cold out there...

Post by kirby »

wind chill factor and man is it true! Get out on a 30 deg day and ride the slab at 80+ and...baby that's COLD! Miserable in fact, unless you have full electric above the waist minimum. I even have bat powered heated socks!

But in the states I never ride below freezing(unless there is no choice) 'cause of the possibility of ICE on the pavement.

I have ridden many miles in snow (dry) in Europe (alps), but that is slow going usually and chill factor not bad.

That chill factor can hurt you for sure.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I quite enjoy winter riding tbh.

(But then, I am a bit of a freak)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Interesting that in the hotter weather that the "feels like' like temp gets hotter than actual temp. That's one of the reasons I don't wear mesh gear.
Buckster '03R
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

When it gets really hot(100+) you need to protect yourself from the air while riding because its like being in a convection oven. So in these very hot conditions mesh gear that lets the hot air in will dehydrate you very quickly. Protect the exposed skin especially the neck 'cause all the blood in the body passes thru the neck to the brain then back.

Over 90 degrees I will not use any mesh.

Traveled in the arid areas of the planet for may years. Lesson hard learned. If you can't stand the heat...don't ride, drive.

FWIW
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

A soaked cool vest for high heat and a Warm & Safe jacket liner in the cold. Two of the best gear accessories one could have.
In Myrtle Beach right now, wishing I had a Motorcycle. Heading home to below zero temps.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

riceburner wrote:I quite enjoy winter riding tbh.

You've posted that pic before, yes? That pic and your muddy field pic are favorite R1150R "get out and ride" motivators.

Jan 1st I rode K bike in 27 degF on Interstate, taxed that bike's charging system with 90W electric jacket and heated grips full hot. Good wind protection helped. But battery wasn't happy and I was cold. Made me wish I had taken the Rockster, despite lack of fairing or windscreen, because of that big alternator.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I use a mesh jacket, when the heavier jacket is too hot .
I don't know if riders in hot areas like mine realize how hot the road surfaces are , on a typical 110 F, 43-44 C, fresh asphalt or freshly sealed asphalt, in the late afternoon can have a surface temp of 195 F, 90-91 C .
Old gray looking asphalt, 165 F, 74 C.
Fresh white concrete 145 F, 63 C, old brownish concrete 155 F ,68-69 C .
So, I ride with protection, from abrasion injuries .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Props to you guys that ride in adverse conditions both hot and cold. For a moment I was inspired to take the bike out but then we got hit with a decent sized storm over the weekend (lots of snow and ice) and today's high was 6, so I'll wait patiently for some better conditions ;)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:
riceburner wrote:I quite enjoy winter riding tbh.

You've posted that pic before, yes?
LOL, yes - they're probably my favourite pics from riding my Rocksters. :D (Damn, wish I still had one).
sweatmark wrote: That pic and your muddy field pic are favorite R1150R "get out and ride" motivators.
For you? If so, then I am honoured to have been of inspiration. :)
sweatmark wrote: Jan 1st I rode K bike in 27 degF on Interstate, taxed that bike's charging system with 90W electric jacket and heated grips full hot. Good wind protection helped. But battery wasn't happy and I was cold. Made me wish I had taken the Rockster, despite lack of fairing or windscreen, because of that big alternator.
Yeah the big alternators on the R-Rs where fitted (apparantly if the bike isn't fitted with heated grips at the factory it gets a smaller alternator), are a godsend.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Photoguy wrote:Props to you guys that ride in adverse conditions both hot and cold. For a moment I was inspired to take the bike out but then we got hit with a decent sized storm over the weekend (lots of snow and ice) and today's high was 6, so I'll wait patiently for some better conditions ;)

There's nothing nice about riding in a heavy storm. I remember riding home one night: I was about 10 miles from home when the entire sky in front of me lit up with a massive lightening strike, and I realised the sky was one huge black cloudmass of surging, roiling, spite, all for me......

What did I do? tucked my neck and rode on..... ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life