Out in the cold (well for the UK)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

dark_knight87
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Out in the cold (well for the UK)

Post by dark_knight87 »

Me and my R1150R had a bit of a cold journey into work this morning (around -1 Celsius) - nothing like the cold you get over in some US states but it was worth a small video!

https://youtu.be/LQK6B8Hp9u0

Regards,
Russ
sykospain

Re: Out in the cold (well for the UK)

Post by sykospain »

Thank Goodness we don't have to put up with that kind of awful weather and those treacherous road surface conditions here on the south-eastern coast of Spain, in Andalucía. The only discomfort we have in January is the stunningly dazzling bright slanting sunlight flashing across the eyes in the morning and early evening hours when riding, or having to put on a pullover whenever we go out at night for a swalley in the local bar !
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

That was a fun video to watch, felt like I was there and have to admit that my instincts would be to be on the right side of the road. How much traction in that kind of a ride- I've never taken my R out in the snow and was just wondering if you experience much slippage?
dark_knight87
Basic User

Post by dark_knight87 »

Photoguy,

The R1150R is surprisingly good in those conditions, the weight is low down so as long as you are moving its OK, the trouble is if you have to pick it up if you drop it!!!. I was going uphill in the video so that is why I lost traction a couple of times but it was controllable.
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

God to hear, thanks. I suppose that in a relatively light snow the tires still make contact with the pavement and would be much like a rainy day wet pavement scenario? At the moment the roads in my town are snow and ice packed so there's very little chance of tires contacting any pavement below. Even my 4WD Tacoma has some difficulty...for the time being, anyway.
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

Dark knight, I feel for you, done commuting plenty of times like that and it makes you feel like the only biker for miles. Sometimes I wonder if a ‘winter’ tyres can be bought for bikes not referring to trail tyres but real soft compounds with lots of those squiggly small cuts for ice like for car winter tyres?
It’s not just the bike that get caked in muck but as a rider I find I’m peppered in road salt and winter grime too.