R1150 Swingarm Question.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

InternetMechanic
Basic User

R1150 Swingarm Question.

Post by InternetMechanic »

Good morning! I am currently looking to do a swingarm conversion on one of my bikes. I was able to get a R1150 swingarm pretty cheap, and was planning to use it to test fit and fab everything up before committing %100. That being said, the shock mount is not centered on the swingarm. How is that set up on the R1150 itself?

Does the center line of the wheel line up with center of the shock, or does it line up with the center line of the swingarm ?

Thanks for any help, I just don't want to have to spend all the money on wheels, final drive, and shock just to see if maybe it will work how I want.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: R1150 Swingarm Question.

Post by CycleRob »

InternetMechanic,
What bike are you building and what model R1150 did the swing arm come from?
You have so many unknowns here that you'll need to actually be hands-on with an R1150R to take your own measurements.
I would say nothing is "on center" because it doesn't have to be. What's important is the designer's need to integrate all components into the available spaces.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
InternetMechanic
Basic User

2004 BMW R1150R, I am just curious about the relation between the wheel, swingarm and shock. As it is the midpoint (bearing to bearing) of the swingarm, is not inline with the midpoint of the shock mount (on the swing arm). What I am curious about is if the center of the rear wheel (I will be using R1150R wheels) runs along the centerline of the swingarm (midpoint between bearings) or if it runs along the centerline of the shock mount.

I've attached the photo that will hopefully explain what I am trying to say, it is a simple thing to solve if I just had a bike to look at, but I haven't been able to find myself a good picture online to help me. If I know where the centerline of the wheel is in relation to the swingarm, it will allow me to fabricate the frame or in my case decide if it's the arm I want to use without spending too much money to find out.

Thank you!

https://imgur.com/rAUMQPQ
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

The center of the tire on my 04 r1150 lines up with the centerline of the shock mount.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
InternetMechanic
Basic User

Barista wrote:The center of the tire on my 04 r1150 lines up with the centerline of the shock mount.

Awesome! Thank you very much! Just what I needed!