Sidecases - Really Stumped On This One

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

jbtex
Basic User

Sidecases - Really Stumped On This One

Post by jbtex »

I may need some help:

I've now gone through two purchases of pannier sets for my 2004 R1150R on eBay. As far as I can tell, everything on the bike is stock, including exhaust and the side case mounts. However, both sets of panniers I purchased from sellers claiming that they fit the R1150R ended up not fitting.

The part numbers listed in the eBay posts are those of the lid, turns out. It seems to me that they fit several different model panniers, which might explain the dilemma I ran into.

Could someone who has the factory panniers on their R1150R confirm the part number of the bottoms for both the left and the right side? I looked at the microfiche on Max BMW, but that brought up more questions than answers.

I appreciate the help!
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Sidecases - Really Stumped On This One

Post by kirby »

suggestion,
Call Beener boneyard. They are the best I know to sort these things and are usually happy to talk!

I could not find any #s on my case inner.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... -to-r1150r

Several different BMW case configurations during that era - the above topic thread includes photo (that I had downloaded years ago as reference) showing differences in left side cases. Right side cases differ also, as the position of case "hooks" and bike turn signals (plus case mounts) are not "one size fits all".

Unless cases being sold are proven to come from a specific 1990s-2000s BMW, I wouldn't trust the seller to recognize the case differences.

Remember too that there were 3 case lid options for that family of BMW System cases: regular, huge, and City (skinny) lids.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

I bought new BMW cases just last month for a 2004 R 1150R from Bob's BMW during a 25% off sale. They fit like a charm but the price was hard to swallow. You'll need two side mounting rails and a rear rack, left and right case bodies (different sizes to fit around the exhaust), two locks, emblems, reflectors, and with the standard size case lids you'll be spending well over $1000 for new stuff. I don't think the universal-mount after-market stuff can compare in fit, finish, and function but you pay for it.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
Barista
Basic User

Post by Barista »

The part numbers on my cases are 4654-2317 627 and 4654- 7 660 288.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

FWIW
Mine have been flawless for 14 years. I think its the best system out there or at least the best I have ever used. They aren't water proof but almost. If your planning a long trip and expecting to encounter WX, its a good idea to use plastic bags for the contents. I use the heavy duty plastic grocery bags and heavy rubber bands when I am expecting to get into heavy rain.

They do make liners but I prefer the individual bags. (and they are cheap).
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Barista
Basic User

Post by Barista »

Just checked Bob's BMW site and noticed that the part numbers there are slightly different there from what is in the cases I received. On the site they are 46542317623 (left) and 46547660300 (right). Only the last three digits are different. I'd guess that those just represent the date of manufacture.

Other info from their site:
Additional items must be ordered separately: Red Reflector #46542300047 (1 per case), BMW Badge #46542300045 (1 per case), and lock cylinders #51252307618 (set of 2 matched locks when ordering L & R cases together), or #51252313284 (1 lock when ordering a single case).
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska