Installing Engine Guards HELP NEEDED....

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Installing Engine Guards HELP NEEDED....

Post by RadicalR1150R »

I've got engine guards I'm trying to install.. I pulled the bolt above the shifter lever, it was kinda tough coming out.. Now before I put the Required bolt in,(it looks bigger dia anyway) I wanted to make sure the stock bolt would go back in... It don't wanna go back in..
Is it the un sprung weight of bike ? being on the center stand? I put some anti seize on the bolt & tried.. tapping on wratchet when turning... You guys that have had your frame's apart? I may have to loosen bolts that are left on enabling it to align?
Thanks for any help.
Steve
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Installing Engine Guards HELP NEEDED....

Post by towerworker »

I assume you're talking crash bars? I installed Hepco Becker bars a few years ago on mine. A couple of the attachment bolts are basically holding the engine to the frame so care must be taken. You only do one side at a time. It may help to put a small hydraulic jack under the engine (the $30 jacks at parts stores) and gently lift it. May help with the possible shifting of the bolt holes. I would not loosen any other bolts I don't think. Do you have specific installation instructions for your bars? What brand are your guards?
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
RadicalR1150R
Lifer

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Hey Wayne... Tower... Thanks for the get back.. yep I got a set of Hepco Becker & yep thankfully I didn't do the other side at the same time. One side is bad enough.
But I'm hoping now I haven't stripped the threaded case hole... above the shifter.. I got the bolt out & before I went further ahead I tried to re install it.. It wouldn't go... So after researching & asking for help I've noticed the recommended jacking up the rear of engine or rear passenger peg to align the holes.. I've put it off till tomorrow when I'm fresh..
Now I want to find out if that link that the bolts go in is replaceable IF I stripped it. It goes from one side of bike to the other. Or is that the transmission case? Man I hope not... It' might be listed in Max parts fisch.. 02 23 71 7 653 810 CONNECTION PIPE, FRAME.. I've learned not to go tearing into stuff hap hazardly but apparently not well enough.. What can be so hard about taking a bolt out hey?..................Well that remains to be seen.. Talk to ya later.
Steve..
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Steve if the bolt wouldn't go I doubt you stripped it. The case has just settled a slight bit when you removed the bolt. I think I remember having the same issue with mine but after a slight bit of help with the jack it went in.

My guess would be that it's ok.

And while you've got it apart.........go ahead and do a radiator flush and replace that winter antifreeze.....
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

IF you pull out the big bolt(s) on the top of the foot peg brackets, they are locktighted in and carry weight of the bike, so they are tight, I had to cut one of them, looking back a heat gun with jack under the backend of the engine oil sump would have been better...load path-wise those bolts take the full weight of the bike in the rear, so you need to support the rear weight of the bike when taking them out, or so it felt to me. Remember the shock is connected to the swingarm (I know you know this) and that weldment subframe, so the weight of the bike is trying to push the swingarm down and the shock up against that subframe, I have 2 jacks supporting my work, if the front tire is supporting the front end, you only need one jack...

bolt in top of the this red bracket is one I'm referring to...

My cheap bike jack that bolts to front of engine made from angle iron and Nissan Sentra car jack...

Here it is installed...

Here's my Harbor Freight jack installed under the oil sump (more rear the better) to support the back of the bike while I figure out my ABS line routing...

Hope this helps...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
RadicalR1150R
Lifer

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Got it :D ....... Thanks to your guy's advice.. A jack under the shock did it..Thanks Tower & Badtothebown
Now to get to those crash bars.
Steve
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

RadicalR1150R wrote:Got it...A jack under the shock did it...

Glad it worked out... :-)
RadicalR1150R
Lifer

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Excellent.. I've got both sides installed now...All done.. had to adjust the jack a couple times on the rear brake side...
Whats next? lol
thanks again. Steve
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

I just want to say, I'm grateful for this forum. I have crash bars sitting in the garage right now, ready to install. This post saved me troubles I hadn't even considered but surely would have run into. Thanks guys!
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
RadicalR1150R
Lifer

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Man.. I hear ya... I'm just grateful I caught in in time..& didn't unbolt both sides or something worse..
Good people here......
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

RadicalR1150R wrote:Excellent.. I've got both sides installed now...All done.. had to adjust the jack a couple times on the rear brake side...
Whats next? lol
thanks again. Steve
Antifreeze...........
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

If you figure out how to use that antifreeze on your bike, I have a radiator cap and a muffler bearing I want to sell you... '-)