Fuel Pump

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Fuel Pump

Post by riceburner »

I could have sworn I already posted a thread about this - but I can't find it anywhere (on any forum I inhabit!)

So - the "new" Rockster has a very whiney fuel pump, and power seems down, especially at higher speeds. The bike runs fine, although tickover is a little hesitant, but at 60 plus it doesn't pull in the way I'd expect.

This could be me comparing it unfairly with a K1200R, but I'd hope that after 13 years of Rocksters I'd remember what they're supposed to be like.... ;)

According to my factory workshop manual (R1150R-G), the pump is a "Bosch EKP-13.5".

A quick ebay search led to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-FUEL-P ... 3665454202
which is currently 'winging'* it's way here.

Fingers crossed I will be able to disassemble the fuel-plate assembly without breaking anything and the pump will slot straight in. :)

I'll try to remember to take some photos.

Has anyone else had fuel pump issues in the past?

* in the sense of the last lame dodo struggling up the beach of life, attempting to escape the incoming tide of extinction, deliveries these days can take ages. :(
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by Tigcraft »

No but at 60+ it should absolutely fly like mine rockets. Good luck with the strip down.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

If the EFI doesn't have the correct pressure it won't run at all.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

swamper wrote:If the EFI doesn't have the correct pressure it won't run at all.
well exactly - i think the pump is not producing enough pressure.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Probably goes without saying, but I'll say it: be sure to change the fuel filter while your there. How is the air cleaner/filter?
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

swamper wrote:Probably goes without saying, but I'll say it: be sure to change the fuel filter while your there. How is the air cleaner/filter?
I've just done a major service, all liquids and filters. I thought the pump whine might be the fuel filter, and indeed it was knackered, but the pump still whines like a lost puppy.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Bollox
Bought the wrong pump

P/n of the original is 0 580 453 495

Damn.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

riceburner wrote:Bollox
Bought the wrong pump

P/n of the original is 0 580 453 495

Damn.

Hmm - well - I went ahead and swapped the pump in anyway, if for no other reason than it was a good way to figure out HOW to do the job. Surprisingly easy actually once I got my head around it.

Motorworks don't seem to like breaking up the entire assembly (https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... Q=TAT50461 - see their comments), but with the right tools it's simple.

Sorry I didn't stop for photos, but here's the drill:

Remove the assembly from the tank, making sure you note the breather pipes connections which you need to remove in order to work on the assembly away from the tank. (The breather pipes internal to the tank can stay there).

Remove the fuel line from the output pipe of the pump. I used a small flat-bladed screwdriver to loosen the crimp-clamp on the hose to achieve this.

Remove the electrical connection from the pump (easy)

Remove the outer strainer mesh from the base of the pump: To do with this without breaking anything, I used gently applied leverage to the plastic fitting with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and eventually it popped off. There is a metal c-clip type arrangement that tightens around a pin that protrudes from the pump body - you need the leverage to work this c-clip off the pin. Just go slow and gently and you can lever it off.

Remove the pump body from the assembly: This is achieved using a pair of plumbers pliers / slip-joint pliers or similar. The plastic ring that holds the pump in place has 3 clips 'below' the metal ring in which it sits - you need to depress these clips towards the pump body, while using the plumbers pliers with 1 jaw on the upper part of the metal ring, and the other jaw under the lower half of the plastic ring (NOT on one of the 3 depressable clips). With the pliers providing a squeeze - the plastic ring slides out of position quite easily. Just do 2 or 3 squeeze operations in different places around the ring and you can remove it easily. There's also a rubber o-ring between the pump and the lower metal ring, don't lose it.

In the immortal words of our good lord Haynes... "Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal". ;)

The hard part is getting the damned mesh strainer on without breaking any part of the plastic lug. I ended up GENTLY using a large-ish G-clamp to provide the appropriate pressure to get the damned c-clip in the strainer assembly to go over the pin on the pump.

End result - although the new pump is still whining slightly, the bike responds MUCH better than it did, and will pull 3 figure speeds just like my old bike (ahem, on private roads, naturally ;) ). I may still invest in a John Gemi chip once I get the rest of the bike sorted out, but I'm happy with the new pump now. :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

RESULT!
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

What you didn’t say was how much the pump robbed you and who supplied it?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Tigcraft wrote:What you didn’t say was how much the pump robbed you and who supplied it?

I got it from ebay- £35. As said it's not quite the right one, but it's working at the moment. If it seems to deteriorate at all, I'll find the correct one (they're about £90 on ebay or more) and swap it again.

It was this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173665454202

However - these are the correct part number: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... s=HP17+8QN

It could be that the one I've got is a lower spec one (the price difference would seem to indicate so), so I may have to do that in the future anyway.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Congrats on messy job completion. I've got a filter change in my immediate future - as much as I enjoy pulling the tank off, pulling the innards out is not fun.

I've been happy with the AF-XIED as means to revised fueling, but I don't know if anyone has done a side-by-side comparison with the Gemi chip. This afternoon I will put the 3rd tank of gas in Rockster2 since I installed AF-XIED, marking enough time & miles for the ECU to adjust. Did the same with Rockster1 with 20k miles riding following AF-XIEd installation. Oilheads really do benefit from the fueling change.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hmmmmm.

Bike is still hesitant across most of the rev range.

Thinking it might be the dreaded coil caps I pulled the plugs, see pics below.

Even though they're firing at different temperatures (by the looks of it) all 4 are firing well, so its not the coil caps.

Just checked the breathers as well and they're both fine.

Sooooo... it looks like I'm still not getting the right fuel flow through!

Going to have to see if I can afford another fuel pump I think. (the correct one!)

I suppose it could be the injectors, but I'd expect them to be an "either/or" (working or not).

Any other suggestions?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Run a couple tanks with added TECHRON cleaner, may help.
IBA#7147
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

swamper wrote:Run a couple tanks with added TECHRON cleaner, may help.
Is that just an injector cleaner, or anything special about it?
Not sure if I'll find it in the UK.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

It's a gasoline additive, that's recommended by my dealer, it actually does some cleaning of the fuel system, injectors.

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us ... eaner.html
IBA#7147
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I stuck a bottle of STP injector cleaner in it today, and a tankful of Super unleaded (slightly higher octane).

Odd thing is..... the bike appeared to be running better BEFORE I did that.

Yesterday I also took out the vast majority of the slack in the throttle cable.

The bike is still hesitating slightly on full throttle, but overall it's much better than it was.... even though I didn't really do anything. Weird.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
bMdeW
Basic User

Post by bMdeW »

"Remove the outer strainer mesh from the base of the pump: To do with this without breaking anything, I used gently applied leverage to the plastic fitting with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and eventually it popped off. There is a metal c-clip type arrangement that tightens around a pin that protrudes from the pump body - you need the leverage to work this c-clip off the pin. Just go slow and gently and you can lever it off".

I have been fidling with this thing while swapping the fuelpump. The plastic clip and the attachement to the base of the pump. And the "sief" kind of pre pump filter, don't know how to call this part. It isn't straight a forward job. And where to find a new starlock ring that tightens around the pin that protrudes from the pump body.

Has anyone got experience with this procedure?