Excessive Heat ?! Please Help

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Excessive Heat ?! Please Help

Post by BadToTheBown »

swamper wrote:Temperature sensor air
+1
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

Barista wrote:...If you're running lean it's going to make a big difference in the heat it puts out. Since you've removed the airbox and put on a free flow exhaust those both could contribute to a lean condition. I'd mainly be concerned with a leak around the injector. If it's sucking air somewhere it's going to run hot. My old uncle used to check his Chevy motors for a vacuum leak by using a squirt gun filled with water and squirting it all around the base of the carb and manifold. If you heard a stumble in the idle you knew there was a leak...
+1 Leaned out fuel mixture will make for a hot exhaust...
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

There are a couple of pictures of the re-build so far!
Still some way to go in sorting all the little niggles but we I'm getting there slowly but surely...

With the wind in my hair..Oh sh#t forgot my helmet..
'96 Harley Davidson
'04 R1150R Cust. Café Racer
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

+1 Leaned out fuel mixture will make for a hot exhaust...[/quote]

Besides fiddling with the mixture screws and diagnostics is there any other sensors or anything that might give thru the wrong readings?

I can't seem to find a air flow sensor on this bike or on any parts page? Does it not have one? :-k :-k :-k
'96 Harley Davidson
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

swamper wrote:I'm wrong, there is a sensor: 05 13 62 1465108 Temperature sensor air 1 $60.99

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/microfich ... GroupID=13

Thanx Swamper for this link!! Will be a great help!
So i take it just fixing this sensor close to filters should suffice?
I don't see a air flow sensor on any of the parts? Does this motorcycle not have one?
Last edited by JTC101 on Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'96 Harley Davidson
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

Barista wrote:Don't pass off the air-flow mixture as not terribly important. If you're running lean it's going to make a big difference in the heat it puts out. Since you've removed the airbox and put on a free flow exhaust those both could contribute to a lean condition. I'd mainly be concerned with a leak around the injector. If it's sucking air somewhere it's going to run hot. My old uncle used to check his Chevy motors for a vacuum leak by using a squirt gun filled with water and squirting it all around the base of the carb and manifold. If you heard a stumble in the idle you knew there was a leak. I've also heard of people using an UN-lit propane torch around the connections and listening for an increase in idle. That might be risky considering the heat on the exhaust being so close.

I'll give this a go! Thanx! ( the water spray option will definitely be the safer option! )
'96 Harley Davidson
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

It's looking good. I sanded down the chrome instrument cover on ours and painted it black, think it would make your's look really good up front too.

This is our starting point, I didn't have any current pictures.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

JTC101 wrote:Besides fiddling with the mixture screws and diagnostics is there any other sensors or anything that might give thru the wrong readings?
Be careful here, by "mixture screws" I hope you mean the Big Brass Screws (BBS) which simply fine tune the air flow through the throttle bodies to balance them to each other. DO NOT screw with the throttle butterfly adjustment screws between the throttle bodies and the engine cases, you might regret that, they are set from the factory on a flow bench, real pain to do yourself, ask me how i know.
JTC101 wrote:I can't seem to find a air flow sensor on this bike or on any parts page? Does it not have one? :-k :-k :-k
I'm not aware of a mass flow air sensor on these, just the temp sensor on the intake that tunes richness (they sell a device that tricks the Motronics into thinking the intake air is cooler than it is to richen it up) which can also be replaced with a resistor if you do not have anywhere to put the temp sensor that is useful...Motronics on these bikes are set up to run open or closed loop, namely, they read the O2 sensor in the exhaust if closed loop to tune the fuel mapping, if the O2 dies, they go open loop and just run off a default engine fuel map that is a bit richer, not sure what happens if the temp sensor is disconnected, always ran mine...
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

JTC101 wrote: I don't see a air flow sensor on any of the parts? Does this motorcycle not have one?
Not used for Alpha-N fuel injection.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

[quote="swamper"]It's looking good. I sanded down the chrome instrument cover on ours and painted it black, think it would make your's look really good up front too.

Thanx Swamper, yes, the idea is to go all black with time. I actually have a aftermarket all in one speedo that a want to connect to get rid of the entire cluster op front but still not decided yet. I'm a bit scared if i take the cluster off it's going to look 'empty' .... Also still have to let a bracket be made to reposition the ignition. But I'll see what it looks like when everything is off and make the call then.
'96 Harley Davidson
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

sweatmark wrote:
JTC101 wrote: I don't see a air flow sensor on any of the parts? Does this motorcycle not have one?
Not used for Alpha-N fuel injection.

Thanx! Never knew that!
'96 Harley Davidson
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

[quote="BadToTheBown"]
Be careful here, by "mixture screws" I hope you mean the Big Brass Screws (BBS) which simply fine tune the air flow through the throttle bodies to balance them to each other. DO NOT screw with the throttle butterfly adjustment screws between the throttle bodies and the engine cases, you might regret that, they are set from the factory on a flow bench, real pain to do yourself, ask me how i know.

Yes, this isn't really something i want to do myself, but finding someone other than BMW workshops is SA is n nightmare.
So many fly by nights that will screw up the bike , and BMW will charge me more than the bike is worth just to get it running.
I know of one guy that might be able to help me, so if it comes to that he will be the one doing the fine tuning!

But thanx for the info! Do appreciate the input!
'96 Harley Davidson
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

Thank You for everyones input.

FYI for those who might want to know.

Couple of issues contributed to the excessive heat.

1. Mini Lambda Fooler installed into the new freeflow exhaust. (This seems to have been the main source of the problem)
Bike went into a semi 'limp mode' well, not actually a limp mode, but the pc apparently remembered the last known setting and never
readjusted, causing the over fueling and actually letting the fuel explode instead of burning it. The Lambda fooler sorted this out.

2. Air temp sensor was re-installed in one of the intake pipes with the new cone filter.
Not sure if this also contributed to the problem, but I suppose it's there for a reason, so I reconnected it. :lol:

3. Some fine Tuning with tha brass screws has her Idling like something out of a 1970's Romance film crossed with a Need for Speed movie and a bit of Son's of Anarchy mixed in between. :lol:

The Two Brother's Carbon fibre exhaust with the freeflow is PURE magic!
You can hear the beating of that Boxer motor, and sounds like she is suppose to be doing 200km/h while standing still....
She sounds like an absolute BEAST!!

Just busy connecting the aftermarket Speedo, and relocating the ignition, then she's done!

Will post the whole re-build with some before and after pics if anyone is interested.
Once again, thanx for everyone's input! Cheerz =D> [-o<
'96 Harley Davidson
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

swamper wrote:Wow, that was easy, been trying to post pictures for a long time on this forum. Towerworker I hope sees this. Forgot the bike in the first picture.
Resized this one:

Thanks Photoguy for the tip.
I was wondering why the image disappeared? Did you delete it? I hate to be recommending tinypic if it doesn't work properly.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Yes I deleted it out of my tinypic account. I didn't wan't to keep adding pictures of non importance.

I'll put something back up in place of the deleted ones so it doesn't look like a problem.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
CNorris
Basic User

Post by CNorris »

I'm pretty sure that's the air box temperature sensor, feeding the engine management computer info. I don't think that's your problem. You're either shockingly lean or timing is way off. Good luck with your project! What do the spark plugs look like?
Craig
'02 R1150R - second time around after 8 years away
'85 BMW R80 - I have a thing for Airheads
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

CNorris wrote:I'm pretty sure that's the air box temperature sensor, feeding the engine management computer info. I don't think that's your problem. You're either shockingly lean or timing is way off. Good luck with your project! What do the spark plugs look like?

Thanx for the reply. Having a friend help me out this weekend. Not to keen on fiddling with the diagnostics myself. It's most definitely over fueling as i'm currently on about 10km/L .... might as well be driving the V8 :lol: [-X
But she is running like an absolute beast, a bit too quick actually... Hopefully we'll get everything sorted this weekend.
'96 Harley Davidson