Excessive Heat ?! Please Help

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

JTC101
Basic User

Excessive Heat ?! Please Help

Post by JTC101 »

Hi Guys,

So I've been busy with a rebuild on a crash damaged 2004 R1150R.
(Not to sure what would be the easiest way to get some pictures posted on here?)
Now everything is mostly sorted and upon starting and running the motor the exhaust right at the top where it connects to the motor, gets way too hot!
As in a min idle will get that pipe to within end of the world hot.

Now a couple of things has been done that could / will affect this.

1. Freeflow exhaust fitted (and wrapped if that makes a difference)
2. Airbox removed and cone filters fitted

Now obviously the air/fuel mixture isn't what it's suppose to be, but i'm 90% sure it's not too far off
(well anyway not far enough off to cause that much heat i think?! :-k )

Not sure what else could be the result of that much heat being forced in such a short amount of time???

ANY help or guesses would be greatly appreciated!! [-o< [-o< [-o<

Regards,
With the wind in my hair..Oh sh#t forgot my helmet..
'96 Harley Davidson
'04 R1150R Cust. Café Racer
swamper
Basic User

Re: Excessive Heat ?! Please Help

Post by swamper »

That area is always fairly hot, why do you think it's hotter than should be? These engines aren't good being stationary in hot weather.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Pretty well documented those header pipes near the jugs will get glowing red hot pretty quickly without airflow over the cylinders. If you're going to run the engine anything at all over a minute or so you really should place fans in front of the engine.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Tigcraft »

As little as 20 seconds sees the down pipes untouchable and it’s not good to run stationary.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote:Pretty well documented those header pipes near the jugs will get glowing red hot pretty quickly without airflow over the cylinders. If you're going to run the engine anything at all over a minute or so you really should place fans in front of the engine.
This.

It's an AIR-cooled engine (with some oil cooling) - that means it needs air-flow over the heads and barrels to stay less hot.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

I run a 2 ft fan in front of my bikes when tuning them. Suggest you do the same and see if you still think it is too hot. Bike will get hot even with fan but I've played with mine in mid Maryland summer (hot air with humidity) for up to a half an hour. It would get hot but never too hot and felt like it would seize...Just an idea to try...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

Sorry, forgot to mention that was with a fan running!
It gets absolutely glowing red hot way to fast. Now what i've tried to find out is that the original airbox has a sensor fitted.
But someone told me that this is only a temp sensor and not a airflow sensor, but i'm starting to doubt this as being a fact???

If that is in fact not a airflow sensor, where is the sensor indicated as it must have one?
'96 Harley Davidson
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

I Have a feeling that the mixture is not correct... Be it the sensor that is not fitted, or the actual adjustment that needs some tuning i'm not sure.
Logic (which can be dangerous) tells me the petrol in there is exploding and not burning as it should.
BUT bare in mind, I am 100% a newby to this bike and boxer motor, so all and any help would be appreciated!
'96 Harley Davidson
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

BadToTheBown wrote:I run a 2 ft fan in front of my bikes when tuning them. Suggest you do the same and see if you still think it is too hot. Bike will get hot even with fan but I've played with mine in mid Maryland summer (hot air with humidity) for up to a half an hour. It would get hot but never too hot and felt like it would seize...Just an idea to try...
Running half an hour with things as is.... I'm pretty sure i might burn down the garage #-o
Something is definitely wrong, but not to sure what it might be! Suspecting the sensor, but i'm not sure!
'96 Harley Davidson
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

There is no sensor. The thing your looking at atop the air box is where you hook up a computer to get codes. Get a 9-11 and use it.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

I had a similar problem on an old car, I could get the first four feet of exhaust orange in colour and the car floor was so hot it was ready to set on fire! It was an ignition problem if I remember and it was too advanced. Back in the days of condensers and points.
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

swamper wrote:There is no sensor. The thing your looking at atop the air box is where you hook up a computer to get codes. Get a 9-11 and use it.
Confused now. Not talking about the round Plug, there was a sensor (looks like a mini car antenna, about 3-4cm long)
that was screwed into the airbox. With the little research and some peoples input it sounds like a temp sensor, but all
fuel injection engines need a airflow sensor?? Or am I missing something?

Where is the airflow sensor then positioned? According to my limited knowledge there is basically no way the computer can
give the right fuel input if the airflow sensor isn't giving the correct reading?? :-k :-k :?:
'96 Harley Davidson
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

What is the easiest way to get some pictures posted?
'96 Harley Davidson
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

^ Upload to a third party hosting site and copy and past the image link here. That's what I do anyway...I use tinypic, but there are many others.

And fwiw, I'm always surprised at how hot my bike is when returning from a ride, even a short one. The last couple of minutes before shutting it off I can feel and smell the heat rising that goes un-noticed when I'm riding. It always catches me a little by surprise but it's always been that way. In fact this is R no. 3 and I'm pretty sure they've all been the same. I don't think my pipes glow or anything like that but the heat is noticeable.
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

Photoguy wrote:^ Upload to a third party hosting site and copy and past the image link here. That's what I do anyway...I use tinypic, but there are many others.

And fwiw, I'm always surprised at how hot my bike is when returning from a ride, even a short one. The last couple of minutes before shutting it off I can feel and smell the heat rising that goes un-noticed when I'm riding. It always catches me a little by surprise but it's always been that way. In fact this is R no. 3 and I'm pretty sure they've all been the same. I don't think my pipes glow or anything like that but the heat is noticeable.

Thanx, will try and upload a couple pics.
These pipes will get glowing hot in a very short time! Definitely hotter than they should!
'96 Harley Davidson
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Trying a picture from my new Tinypic account:
Last edited by swamper on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBA#7147
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Wow, that was easy, been trying to post pictures for a long time on this forum. Towerworker I hope sees this. Forgot the bike in the first picture.

Thanks Photoguy for the tip.
Last edited by swamper on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBA#7147
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I'm wrong, there is a sensor: 05 13 62 1465108 Temperature sensor air 1 $60.99

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/microfich ... GroupID=13
IBA#7147
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

Don't pass off the air-flow mixture as not terribly important. If you're running lean it's going to make a big difference in the heat it puts out. Since you've removed the airbox and put on a free flow exhaust those both could contribute to a lean condition. I'd mainly be concerned with a leak around the injector. If it's sucking air somewhere it's going to run hot. My old uncle used to check his Chevy motors for a vacuum leak by using a squirt gun filled with water and squirting it all around the base of the carb and manifold. If you heard a stumble in the idle you knew there was a leak. I've also heard of people using an UN-lit propane torch around the connections and listening for an increase in idle. That might be risky considering the heat on the exhaust being so close.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
JTC101
Basic User

Post by JTC101 »

Hope that picture comes out right!
That is the sensor im talking about...
Last edited by JTC101 on Wed May 29, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
'96 Harley Davidson