Tire Mileage

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Tire Mileage

Post by Bogdan »

Well worn topic (pun) but tire choices change. Looked at my rear Pirelli Angel GT. Yup...the wear bars in the center tell me soon it's time for a change. I have just over 8k miles on this tire.
FWIW I'm in St. Louis - road here from Colorado to avail my son of an extra pair of hands. I've been proven a liar, yet again. I swore I'd never change another tire. But...I'll be off to Chicago in a week. My brother in that, not so fair, city, has a real tire change set-up - not the cheap Chinese contraption I used for years.I was so happy when I gave it away.
I need to choose and order a set as my front tire is also well along. What kind of mileage have you guys been getting? I have no complaints as to the Pirellis but I thought I'd get more life out of them. Naive? People rave about the Michelin Pilot Road 4; is it worth plopping down $300, American for a set. I could get a set of Pirellis' for $100 less. My son likes the Conti Motions on his 650 Ninja. Anyway...is 8k miles all I should expect on a 2004 R1150R? I'm not a super aggressive rider but compared to what?

swamper
Basic User

Re: Tire Mileage

Post by swamper »

Stick with the Pirelli Angel GT or try the new ones, but they are more expensive. I got the same mileage as you but my front wore out first.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
two wheel tango
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by two wheel tango »

Subjective... But some data points for your consideration. I'd give the Angel GT2 a shot.

I've been through many sets of tires over the past 2-3 years. At least 2 changes per year. Consistent riding style on consistent roads.... 4-6 hours through my favorite loops most weekend mornings during the riding season. Very spirited runs.

If I get 6000 miles out of a set I'm doing good.

1. Dunlop roadsmart 3. Neutral.... Feel/confidence just ok. Not great. Changed around 6.2k but could have squeezed out 7K. Decent in the wet. No oh poo moments that I can recollect. Used once only.

2. Angel GT. Great feel/confidence, turn-in. Solid in the wet. Close to wear bars around 5K. Done by 6K if that. But went through several sets... 3 or 4. Excellent choice. Go to tire. Suits this bike.

3. Pilot Road 4. Not impressed. Never faltered... But feel/feedback was far from great. Close to wear bars by 5k.. done by 6k. Used once only.

4. Roadtec 01. Great feel confidence. Slightly slower turn-in than the angel GT... But very stable and excellent feedback and grip. And lousy mileage. At the wear bars between 4-4.5k. and done by 5K. Good in wet too.

5. Angel gt2. Outstanding so far... Only got 2.5K but exceptional all round upgrade from the regular GT. Grip/feedback/feel/turn-in/wet all exceptional. Will see how long it lasts... My eye is reasonably well calibrated... I'm guessing 6.5-7k. I'll report back....
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I'd be pretty happy about getting 8K from a pair of Angel STs (not tried the GT).

Bear in mind that bike tyres need to be a LOT softer than car tyres, so you're going to wear them out MUCH faster. Especially if you ride in any way enthusiastically (which I do. ;) )
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I used to get 8500 out of metzlers for years... switched to pilot roads and got a little more...
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Thanks Gentleman, These posts clear things up. I was out of the street tire loop for 20 years when I lived with a dual sport KLR. Dual sport tires are a different game. Before the KLR ( I'm moto-monogamous ) I rode a BMW airhead - also used to get 8000 out of my rear Metzler Marathon. I thought with tire development since then, I'd get more.I guess, with more power and weight, I'm in the same place. I ride about 5000 miles a year; half of that, the kind of ride Tango described, except mine is in the Colorado Mountains. The other 2,500 is my yearly, relaxing trip to St. Louis and Chicago. It makes sense that I get a couple of K more miles then those whose rides are mostly spirited. I've decided - big spender that I am - to go with a set of Angle GT 11s.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Tire wear seems to depend on several factors including rubber composition, riding style, road surface, and temperature. This was dramatically demonstrated when I moved to Mississippi from Florida and the mileages I got riding the same rear tires in each state (Bridgestone Battleax BT-023's) rose from 7696 to 12889. With the same tire I suspect cooler temperature is at least as important to tire longevity as road surface and riding style. I never got more than 9000 miles out of a rear tire in Florida (including Z4, Z6, Diablo Stada, BT-56), but am now getting 50+% more mileage in MS. Of course, I am slowing down (a little:-) these days!
Rich
ADIOS!
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Sunbeemer wrote:Tire wear seems to depend on several factors including rubber composition, riding style, road surface, and temperature. This was dramatically demonstrated when I moved to Mississippi from Florida...
I would think the sidewall wear would increase moving from Florida... :lol:
Buckster '03R
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

After running Metzelers for years on my R1150R and getting about 6000 miles out of them, I decided to try the Michelin Pilot Road 4s. The only version of this tire that fit my bike was the PR4 GT. DO NOT MOUNT THESE TIRES ON A 500 LB MOTORCYCLE! On the GTs, my bike rode and handled like a garbage truck. It was so bad that I initially thought there was something wrong with the suspension or running gear, but it was just the tires. They are completely unsuitable for this bike. I’m back to the tried and true Metzeler Z8 interacts, and all is again well.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I would think the sidewall wear would increase moving from Florida... :lol:
Definitely have narrower chicken strips here! :smt041
Rich
ADIOS!
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I personally think that the Michelin Pilot Road 1 was the best all around tire for the 1150R, unfortunately the got wise and upgraded them. I had one set of Pilot Road 2 and they scalloped like the old original Macadams. Metzelers were ok, but I ended up getting the Bridgestone 021, then 023, and then the t30. They were significantly cheaper than the others, and the front tire wore evenly. I would get about 9k miles on the front t30 and about 5500-6000 on the rears. But the cost worked out better and the performance was never lacking.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

The mileage isn't going to be the greatest but Metzeler M7RR are great tires on these bikes.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
two wheel tango
Lifer

Post by two wheel tango »

Follow up on the Angel GT II’s.... ended up with 6700 miles. So roughly 10% better than its predecessor. Great tire and would go to it again... but wanted to give the Conti Road Attack 3’s a shot first; just got them mounted this weekend.

two wheel tango wrote:Subjective... But some data points for your consideration. I'd give the Angel GT2 a shot.

I've been through many sets of tires over the past 2-3 years. At least 2 changes per year. Consistent riding style on consistent roads.... 4-6 hours through my favorite loops most weekend mornings during the riding season. Very spirited runs.

If I get 6000 miles out of a set I'm doing good.

1. Dunlop roadsmart 3. Neutral.... Feel/confidence just ok. Not great. Changed around 6.2k but could have squeezed out 7K. Decent in the wet. No oh ----- moments that I can recollect. Used once only.

2. Angel GT. Great feel/confidence, turn-in. Solid in the wet. Close to wear bars around 5K. Done by 6K if that. But went through several sets... 3 or 4. Excellent choice. Go to tire. Suits this bike.

3. Pilot Road 4. Not impressed. Never faltered... But feel/feedback was far from great. Close to wear bars by 5k.. done by 6k. Used once only.

4. Roadtec 01. Great feel confidence. Slightly slower turn-in than the angel GT... But very stable and excellent feedback and grip. And lousy mileage. At the wear bars between 4-4.5k. and done by 5K. Good in wet too.

5. Angel gt2. Outstanding so far... Only got 2.5K but exceptional all round upgrade from the regular GT. Grip/feedback/feel/turn-in/wet all exceptional. Will see how long it lasts... My eye is reasonably well calibrated... I'm guessing 6.5-7k. I'll report back....
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I guess I'll put in my 2 cents. I've been running Shinko 009's for years. Switched to their 705 dual sport tire for some off pavement traction. Currently have about 14K on the front and 11 on the rear. Rear is almost done. Lots of tread left on the front but some cupping so it makes a little noise (other than the usual). Grip has been great regardless of surface and conditions.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

i got 13K from my stinko 009
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K
maccraith
Lifer

Post by maccraith »

I went through PR3's and PR4's on my '03 R1150R in about 6,500 K. I was happy . . . until I put on some Angel GTs. What a positive difference! As Two Wheel Tango said, "Excellent choice; suits the bike." I don't know what the milage will be. However, if it is slightly less than the PR's and I can have this kind of performance and predictability, I will be way happier than I was. :)
'03 R1150R
Riding year around in central Mexico.
Don't believe anything you hear; find out!
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I've been getting good mileage with the Angel GTs, 6-7K. Front wears out first for me on the R bikes. I noticed that Pirelli has a new Angel GT 2, hope they don't stop the original Angel GT.
IBA#7147
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

I replaced a set of GTs ( got close to 10K miles ) with GT 2s - they were a bit more expensive. The sidewalls were very stiff - and thus, they were a bear mount.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I'm waiting on some snow here in Virginia so I can try these 705's in some really good deep stuff. I'll report back from the hospital.............
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I have to say I like the Angel GTs, just as good as the Diablo Stradas that came before.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life