new R1150R owner---best torque wrench range?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Calidor67
Basic User

new R1150R owner---best torque wrench range?

Post by Calidor67 »

Hey all, just bought this R1150R, which is a motorcycle I've wanted to own for years, and I'm trying to get it to pass inspection. I'm going to take off the front wheel for a new Metzler and I realized I don't have a torque wrench. As these can be spendy, does anyone have a recommendation on maybe ONE torque wrench I can use for most bits, for now? Looks like the brake calipers are 20 Nm, I think axle pinch bolts are 30 Nm but I'll check these both. I want to clean up the disc bolts from some rust too, so I'll want to remove them as well. What range of wrench capability is best for this motorcycle? (In a pinch, I may be able to borrow one from work, but tools keep walking off so there's a crack-down on loaners, and I'll need this tool frequently anyway).
Thanks in advance for reading and responding.
swamper
Basic User

Re: new R1150R owner---best torque wrench range?

Post by swamper »

I'm using sears/craftsman, 3/8 drive usually has the range you'll need.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

Tough to have just one but I have a suggestion to help you decide, AVOID using torque wrenches in the bottom and top 10% of their rated range, typically inaccurate, for example, I used to use a 36 ft-lb torque driver which went down to 3 ft-lb but torque calibration proved it was off, so we would convert 3 ft-lbs to in-lbs or in-oz and use the appropriate torque driver for those units with adjusted value...

Also when converting torque, use a torque calculator to do it if you are not used to converting torque, they're on line, best of luck...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Are you in the US or UK? (or elsewhere).

I have a Halfords 20-110Nm (iirc) and it does most of what I need on the bike.

I will admit though that I only use it on a few particular bolts, mainly because I copaslip most bolts, which means torque readings will be off. So I use the old standard of 'Good and tight enough'. I've had Rocksters sine 2004 though and always done my own work, so I know now which bolts are likely to strip the thread* and which are fine for whanging up tight. Most of the time I find using fingers only, about half-way along the tool (Allen/Torx Keys especially) is pretty much the right torque. There's a reason spanners are different lengths. ;)

* rocker cover bolts 8Nm is virtually 'finger-tight'. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

swamper wrote:I'm using sears/craftsman, 3/8 drive usually has the range you'll need.
Same here. Reasonably priced. I'm happy with it.
Buckster '03R
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

Another Craftsman 3/8” owner here. Wrench is 30 years old and I still trust it. Remember to zero out the wrench when putting it away. I really believe it helps to preserve the accuracy of the wrench over time.

I also have a Tekton 1/2” and a cheap harbor freight 1/4”. If only one, go with a 3/8”. And if you can’t afford a 70.00 or so Craftsman, the tekton at half the price should work for you. I trust the craftsman more but the Tekton build is decent. Of course Harbor freight can be had even cheaper but not the best quality. Congrats on the R1150R.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

Hyja1 wrote:Remember to zero out the wrench when putting it away. I really believe it helps to preserve the accuracy of the wrench over time.
+1
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer