Final drive bearings

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Final drive bearings

Post by riceburner »

The rear wheel is definitely moving relative to the final drive box.

Bah!

Do I need special tools for a full bearing and seals swap?

I've never done this particular job before.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
UberZogster
Basic User

Re: Final drive bearings

Post by UberZogster »

I just got the main bearing for my r1100s and haven't needed anything special so far. All I've done is take the easy bits apart though. I talked to the shop and they said all you need is a press for the main bearing. My other bearings look good so I'm leaving them alone. The drive shaft seal is leaking a bit so I plan on replacing it too.
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

I thought this was pretty good - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r110 ... ement.html

Some have used and oven to get the bearing on, freeze for the other part, said bearing just about dropped on, this one does all the rear suspension bearings - https://advrider.com/f/threads/shade-tr ... nt.234400/
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

BadToTheBown wrote:I thought this was pretty good - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r110 ... ement.html

Some have used and oven to get the bearing on, freeze for the other part, said bearing just about dropped on, this one does all the rear suspension bearings - https://advrider.com/f/threads/shade-tr ... nt.234400/

This!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

On closer inspection.... It's BOTH a weeping crown gear seal, AND the pivot bearings. So it's going to be a full monty change EVERYTHING job.....

Just what I didn't need this month. :(
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

How many miles on your machine?

On another note......I looked a bit thru "A Rockster Life". Incredible photos, and such beauty and history. I can't imagine what it's like to
travel where you have.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote:How many miles on your machine?
48,000, it's an '03
On another note......I looked a bit thru "A Rockster Life". Incredible photos, and such beauty and history. I can't imagine what it's like to
travel where you have.
Thanks, i was lucky with certain life circumstances. But travel isn't hard, and beauty can be just around the corner of you keep your eyes open. :)
I haven't even travelled that far, just South Western Europe. Thats a tiny part of the world in reality
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Thanks Towerworker and Riceburner. I did not realise that clicking that link would open up anything, never mind those fantastic photo albums.
As a random comment, I have visited the Massif Central- Mont Dore area on a camping holiday. A round of the European Speed Hill Climb championship was on and I spent a day watching the cars on the long 10k? climb.
I had that final drive bearing done by a main dealer, cost several hundred pounds iirc. A big saving to DIY .
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

gregor wrote:Thanks Towerworker and Riceburner. I did not realise that clicking that link would open up anything, never mind those fantastic photo albums.
As a random comment, I have visited the Massif Central- Mont Dore area on a camping holiday. A round of the European Speed Hill Climb championship was on and I spent a day watching the cars on the long 10k? climb.
I had that final drive bearing done by a main dealer, cost several hundred pounds iirc. A big saving to DIY .

I would do it myself, but I've not got a huge amount of mental space at the moment, nor the confidence in my own ability (I don't like messing with bearings). Imo a good mechanic knows when to get help in. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

i beat my crown gear bearing off with a claw hammer and a cats claw.

then froze the bearing and baked the gear, slipped almost all the way on, and did a little tap tap with the inner race from the cratered unit
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K
Riverside
Basic User

Post by Riverside »

I recently discovered a nearly imperceptable bit of play in my rear wheel. A couple of suggestions from some members sent me on a research frenzy where I found these very interesting pieces of information. I bought a couple of standard tools to make the adjustment to the pivot bearing and if that addresses the problem, I will then order the Emerald bushing set to replace the bearings. If not I will remove the drive unit and take it to San Jose to swap for a rebuilt unit..... or I know a machine shop that might do it for me.

https://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/me ... e=TRA11094
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBt6ftaJ_0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_j8SuiFQI

There is also a UTube on rebuilding the final drive, but, Chris recommends against that to reduce stress and frustration. Apparantly it's a real pain in the area your seat is responsible for.
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

i wound up using a cat's claw (carpenter nail extractor) to remove my fragged bearing from the crown gear.

that was special
:badgrin:
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K
racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Post by racurley »

I used a HF puller to get mine off. I don’t recall it being too bad. Have used on other things doing car repair since then. I only had to replace the crown ring bearing. My only concern with my repair is that I just used the spacers that were already in it. The procedure to get the perfect height with my home tools was not in the cards. Hopefully the factory height was not the issue.
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!