Power commander

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Power commander

Post by sstein »

A friend recommended that after changing to a Y-pipe I should add a power commander to change the fuel/air maps.

Huh?

Is this necessary? Do I do harm if I choose not to? Is it difficult to add the PC? Benefits? Does this forum recommend it?

Thanks

Hopefully this thread stays active long enough for me to see the response.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Power commander

Post by sweatmark »

No, you don't need to change anything. Engine management system will adjust fueling via oxygen sensor feedback.

But theres a different question: can you benefit from change to air/fuel ratio? My answer is yes - the R1150 does run better with modest addition of fuel. And the easiest way to achieve this is with AF-XIED unit. Beemer Boneyard has them.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Thanks. Just checked BBY - pricey little gadget...
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

I think it could definitely benefit from a power commander. as any bike with mods or even stock, as long as its tuned properly. I removed my cat also and installed a y pipe and had a pretty horrible running bike IMHO. I Had a Wideband O2 controller handy and a Wideband Sensor so what I did was re-program the Controller to trick the ECU into thinking that 13.5 was 14.7. Actually it also has a input switch so I can change between 13.5 and 14.5 AFR gives a bit better economy when cruising...

When I switch the switch I can see the ECU hunting towards the new value via the LED meter on the dash.

So with stock muffler/y-pipe/K&N and now running about 13.7, it is pretty sweet. Just the slightest hesitation on full throttle at about 3000rpm but it is not at all bothersome.

AF-XIED is pretty neat and easy and makes the most of the narrow band sensor.

this is what I have http://www.wbo2.com/2y/default.htm its a Kit but the next cheapest is http://www.wbo2.com/2j/2j9.htm

bit of a pain and you need to have some technical knowledge.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:No, you don't need to change anything. Engine management system will adjust fueling via oxygen sensor feedback.
Assuming (IIRC) that the lambda sensor has been fitted to the Y-pipe. I think the Motronic still needs that info to be fully closed loop?
sweatmark wrote: But theres a different question: can you benefit from change to air/fuel ratio? My answer is yes - the R1150 does run better with modest addition of fuel. And the easiest way to achieve this is with AF-XIED unit. Beemer Boneyard has them.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Yes, the oxygen sensor must be retained... unless attempting the rare backwards conversion to carburetors for post-apocalypse EMP-proof zombie escape Moto.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Doebeck also makes a controller for the 1150/1200. I have one on my 2002 with a Y pipe and slip on Muffler.
Runs perfectly.
I’ve had power commanders on two previous Motorcycles and have two Doebecks on current ones.
They come preset with the proper inputs. You can call them up and discuss your set-up with them too.
Small and fairly easy to install with all the right connectors to go between the injectors and the ECU.

http://www.dobeckperformance.com/viewpr ... icleid=457
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao