Tire Repair Kit

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Tire Repair Kit

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Checked tire pressures on the R today, rear tire 15 psi found a small bolt imbedded in it .

Tried using the repair kit that came with the bike, the rubber cement was hardened and the plugs broke when I tried to insert them into the tire using auto repair cement, I guess 17 years of desert heat degraded these parts .

Any suggestions on what to use for plugs now, get OEM or an after market plug ??
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Re: Tire Repair Kit

Post by Sunbeemer »

I had a motorcycle shop vulcanize rubber, mushroom-shaped plugs on a few of my rear tires that held perfectly for the life of the tire (one had run only ~400 miles when it got holed). These plugs have a ~1/4" diameter stem attached to a ~1" diameter patch. The tire has to be removed to vulcanize the patch to the inside with heat. Sorry, I don't know the brand, but a shop will. Many shops have stopped plugging tires at all due to liability issues, but some indies still do it. Good luck.
Rich
ADIOS!
Mrclubike

Post by Mrclubike »

If I had to choose between the Dynaplug or the Stop&Go I would go with the Stop&Go
82 R65
04 R1150R
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I've used most of them in the past, with varying levels of failure.
Whatever you choose, get the tyre plugged properly asap, by a reputable shop.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

Last Saturday, I had a flat on the highway and was able to safely pull over to the shoulder. I had my emergency kit bag which I carry in my riding backpack always. The 8”x8”x 3” bag came with my micro start lithium battery. I added a mini air pump and a slime tire plug repair kit and it all fit in the high quality bag.

I attached the pump to the rear flat tire, connected the lithium battery (to save from draining the bike’s battery) and using spit on my finger, found the bubbling hole in the middle of the tire. I used the reamer tool to prep the hole, and attached a strand plug to the insertion tool. Coated it with the cement and pushed it into the hole. It went right in and I pulled out the tool. I used a razor blade (which I added to the kit) and trimmed the plug. The tire pumped up in a few minutes and I was good to go.

I think any of the strand type plug kits available from amazon or revzilla will work, but I know for a fact that the Slime brand kit works beautifully.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I have the string type but unless you need to plug to get where you are going, I would replace the tire.
Buckster '03R
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

Absolutely agree. In fact, revzilla just dropped off my two new Michelin Pilot power tires today. I’m really bummed about the front tire. The manufacture date says 3/3/16. That’s almost four years old. The front tire has a date of 9/10/19. Should I complain to Revzilla about getting such an old tire, or is this not unusual?
‘02 R1150R black
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

On the 4-yr old tire, hope it was discounted. Generally speaking you want the tires manufacturing date to be within 6 yrs, so if your going to ride it now, I wouldn't sweat it...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

I sent Revzilla a note and I’ll see whether they give me any credit for the age of the tire. I’m planning on switching both tires. Going to take the wheels down to the MotoTireGuy guy to install and balance the tires.

Is there anything I need to do for safety sake when I remove both wheels at the same time? I’ve only done one at a time before... I’m planning to tie the front up to the garage rafter and use a floor jack under the engine. (don’t want to screw anything up).
‘02 R1150R black
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

I sent Revzilla a note and I’ll see whether they give me any credit for the age of the tire. I’m planning on switching both tires. Going to take the wheels down to the MotoTireGuy guy to install and balance the tires.

Is there anything I need to do for safety sake when I remove both wheels at the same time? I’ve only done one at a time before... I’m planning to tie the front up to the garage rafter and use a floor jack under the engine. (don’t want to screw anything up).
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Hyja1 wrote:I sent Revzilla a note and I’ll see whether they give me any credit for the age of the tire. I’m planning on switching both tires. Going to take the wheels down to the MotoTireGuy guy to install and balance the tires.

use a strap to tie the centre-stand forwards (around the exhaust balance pipe will work fine). This will prevent the stand collapsing.

Put the front spindle back through the forks and rest it on an axle-stand (NOT a jack).

Put a few blocks of wood under the final drive. (Jack if necessary).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

Sorry about the duplicate posts. Thanks riceburner. Will do.
‘02 R1150R black