Disappearing posts, twice this week

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Disappearing posts, twice this week

Post by Barista »

I posted twice this week seeking advise on getting longer hydraulic lines to raise my bars. Both disappeared after a day. What's the deal with this forum?
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
Bogdan
Basic User

Re: Disappearing posts, twice this week

Post by Bogdan »

Makes me reluctant to post new threads. List managers blamed the Russians. One more thing I don't understand. But then....If I were smarter...I'd be richer.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I think I will take a 1 week moratorium fro cleaning up the bot garbage twice a day, and in a few days I think it will become clear what is going on.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

sjbmw wrote:I think I will take a 1 week moratorium fro cleaning up the bot garbage twice a day, and in a few days I think it will become clear what is going on.

I understand that we're being hit with spam posts by bots - but I'm uncertain as to what is going in behind the scenes to mitigate the issue and what is being done by the mods. Obviously I'm not a mod, so I am not privy - but I think you're rolling back the database each time? Is that right? If so, then that would completely explain why legitimate posts are going missing.
However, I can't help but wonder if there's a different way to alleviate the bot traffic?
I don't know what powers and permissions you have SJ, but are you able to simply delete the bot posts? Or is it that it's a lot of effort to find them in order to delete them? If so, then I don't blame you at all for taking the simpler path of rolling back the database.

The main issue for us (the users) is that we're not aware of when the database gets rolled back, so we just see posts disappear and it feels strange and worrying.

Obviously thank you for all the hard work in keeping the boards free from spam!!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sjbmw

Post by sjbmw »

The issue is that when trying to bulk delete spam posts, unpaid members do not have a user name in color, so they are harder to spot. sometimes these posts get caught up in that. I am trying to look at each post to insure that it's spam, but there are mistakes being made, and they are my fault.

RB, we can use another mod, what say you?
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

sjbmw wrote:The issue is that when trying to bulk delete spam posts, unpaid members do not have a user name in color, so they are harder to spot. sometimes these posts get caught up in that. I am trying to look at each post to insure that it's spam, but there are mistakes being made, and they are my fault.

That's a very flattering offer.
I'll give it some thought - I'd hate to let you guys down by not being able to commit enough time to the job.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sjbmw

Post by sjbmw »

riceburner wrote:
sjbmw wrote:The issue is that when trying to bulk delete spam posts, unpaid members do not have a user name in color, so they are harder to spot. sometimes these posts get caught up in that. I am trying to look at each post to insure that it's spam, but there are mistakes being made, and they are my fault.

That's a very flattering offer.
I'll give it some thought - I'd hate to let you guys down by not being able to commit enough time to the job.
whatever time you got!