Toot...toot.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Re: Toot...toot.

Post by Photoguy »

Updating...I ended up ordering the Denali. While it's not as loud as the air horn, I think it might be enough to get me beyond the anemic sound of the stock horn. Also, it was cheap enough and installation seemed like a simple switch-out without the need to add or alter anything. I'll give an update once it's in.

Thx all again for the input, really appreciate it.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

The horns on my three vehicles serve to mostly tell my grandchildren that I'm waiting out front. (except for the bike----their grandma has laid down the law)
My use of a horn has always been sparingly. I try to be patient with a distracted driver in front of me at a red light who doesn't see that the light has turned green. I really dislike the driver behind who immediately lays down on the horn. So I give them some time to wake up. I remember riding with my Dad as a young teen. He was patient, understanding and gentle. Did his best to teach me the same. I don't always measure up. But I try.
If someone tarries way too long at a light I try to give a short gentle tap on the horn. I have a little difficulty with the placement of the R's button. You're pushing "up" which is difficult for me because of lingering hand issues from my being fully paralyzed 9 yrs ago. But I manage a bit, just not quick for me. That being said, my Stebel horn arrived Thursday. I'm mounting two new tires today so doubtful I'll get to the horn today. But when I do I think there will be an additional horn button. I want two levels of "attention getting". One that says "Hi!".........the other.."HEY!! WAKE THE HELL UP!!"
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I would like the lunch truck tune on my horn, wish there was one for a bike.
We put Denali Horns on our bikes when we went to Alaska, sold those bikes and left the horns on them.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

When Driving in multi-lane heavy traffic I keep my left thumb on the horn button and my right index and middle finger on the front brake lever.
I make it a point to try to stay out of blind spots. I can't count the number of times I'll see someone glance at their mirror and start to merge on top of me.
So YES my horns on Motorcycles and Cars have prevented many a accident. Every Motorcycle gets upgraded Horns. I've had good luck with Hella's.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Installed the Stebel today. Tucked it into where the ABS pump once lived. Had originally wanted it on a separate switch and keep the oem horn as well.
I couldn't easily (or quickly) find a suitable aftermarket water resistant horn button. So decided to use the oem horn button and basically ditch the factory horn. Wow this thing is loud! I agree with what others have said. It needs to be thoughtfully and carefully used. One of my neighbors a few houses up the street keeps his beautiful bright red Kenworth road tractor parked in his driveway when he's home on weekends. The sound quality and level from the Stebel tucked under my fuel tank seems to rival the twin air horns on his truck.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Towerworker, did the horn include a relay and did you install one for your Stebel?
I left my original horn hooked up and just spliced the relay coil lead into the horn switch wire.
This produces a tri-tone blast that will overcome a hermetically-sealed SUV with the AC blasting, the JBL speakers blaring, and the driver arguing on the cellphone.
Rich
ADIOS!
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Good morning Sunbeemer, yes it did come with a relay. Pretty little red one. Was thinking about my oem horn last night. I'm sure there will be times I don't need the ear piercing blast from the Stebel, but just the beep-beep from the oem. I play with electronics a bit (maybe a lot...amateur radio for 40+ years) so I was thinking of building a circuit that would let me use both horns separately with the same horn button. Found these adjustable time delay relay boards all over the net. The idea will be to keep the oem horn wired in as normal. But tap 12v from the horn button trigger to go to the input of this device. You set the time delay to whatever you want since it's adjustable. Lets say you set it to trigger at .5 second. So if you give the horn button a quick tap you get a quick beep from the oem horn. Hold the button down past .5 seconds and it sends the same horn trigger to the Stebel and everything goes off. This board is small, looks like it wouldn't be a problem to put it into a small plastic case to protect it from weather. I'm thinking this relay would trigger the Stebel relay. So I ordered one and plan to give it a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264361699452
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Towerworker: Great idea! =D> It gives an offender a more gentle reminder initially, but if they're still oblivious then they get the full Monty. The only problem is when you might need to instantly let an audibly-challenged cager (as more and more are nowadays) pulling out in front of you that you are there! :shock:

Thanks for linking to the time-delay relay board; I've been looking for something like that for another project.

BTW: Cold snap's coming this weekend, time to change the RR's antifreeze :-k
Rich
ADIOS!
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Just updating for posterity...I went with the Denali as a first try since it was cheap enough and installation seemed easy enough. Just found the time this morning to install. Couldn't have been more than 10 minutes and most of that time was trying to find my 9mm wrench and trying to figure out the rotation so it wouldn't interfere with any wires/hoses. I did order the wiring adaptor so that I could use the OEM plug without the need to cut any wires. A simple before and after test- it now sounds like a car horn. Can't say exactly how much, but it is louder than the stock.