Is it my bum, or is it the seat?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Parkblu
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Is it my bum, or is it the seat?

Post by Parkblu »

Riding over from Fort Lauderdale to Fort Myers for service on Saturday (160 mi one way), I again realised how uncomfortable I am with the stock seat. I currently have wooden beads on it, but they don't help me that much. Perhaps my bum is just plain weird (6.1, 200 lbs/183 cm, 92 kg)

I'm not in the position right now to buy an aftermarket or BMW comfort seat. Between wood beads, sheepskin, airhawk aircushion, gel pads (what did I forget?): what is your experience/recommendation?

TIA!
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by 1150929 »

It's your bum. :wink:

Actually, great question. Hopefully someone has tried some of this stuff.

I'm ok with the stock seat, for 4-6 hours max. The admittedly few guys I've spoken to with aftermarket seats say that they are better, but still have a limit, albeit slightly higher. Worth the big bucks, I dunno!

Ideally would be something I can throw on the existing seat once the butt starts to hurt. Anybody know whats best?
Rui
'03 R1150R silver w/abs,black motor,bags,backrest,givi
'00 CBR929RR
'08 Road King Classic
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

I must have a German bum. Thousand km days are no big deal, and my only luxury on really long trips is a sheep skin. A few more weeks and I leave on a 15,200 km three week ride around Australia, with a stock seat and my sheep skin. That's how good I think the stock seat is. Then again, I have a bit of natural padding in that area and have perfected my riding gear over the years.

A few hints - Avoid undies with seams or short legs. They irritate and rub. I use long 'trunk' undies (bit like unpadded bicycle shorts) that have no seams across the ass cheeks that are in contact with the seat. I then wear an outer pair of polytec long-johns. Again, no seams. Then I wear my armoured bike gear - BMW Savanna 2 pants. Works in hot and cold conditions.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
KHaynes
Lifer

Seat

Post by KHaynes »

I think every bike has a range bums that don't fit the seat. My RT seat is wide but hard but my bum seems to be contoured quite well to match the shape. I do do some long hauls without too much soreness or numbness.

No rider should buy a custom seat on impulse or without testing a seat. It's like buying shoes, they just have to fit to be any good.

Link up with others who have custom seats and try them for comfort. You'll not need to ride the bike but spend some time sitting while the bike is on the centerstand. If you try it for about 15 minutes, you should get a good idea.

Until then, you might want to try some lambswool or other soft cover. On the really long rides, I place a folded handtowel under my bum and shift it around periodically to relieve any pressure points.
Keith Haynes
R1150RT
Wheelcaps
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

Parkblu

I have the "middle" seat on my `03. I have had no problem doing 2 or 3 hour legs on the bike. I use the Alaska Buttpad, a sheepskin pad that does help. I have read that those wooden bead pads actually work well as they keep you from having pressure points. I may not have the seat problem you describe because on long rides I change position and move around on the bike a lot. I use the rear footpegs, prop my boots on the cylinders, and various other methods to keep my knees from locking up. And it works. I know Rich's up in Seattle makes a fine living installing those gel pads in seats. I might consider one of those rather then a full on custom seat.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I must be a real 'Hard arse' because I find the stock seat fine...I also know prevention is better than cure.

I've done many all day rides..but because of my road and mountain bike experience I know the importance of getting off your butt every now and then.

Just a second or two every 20 minutes lets the blood flow or something..if you just sit there still I'm sure it would start to hurt after a few hours.

Also...Charley Boorman told me that the best thing and a must for long rides is the Air Hawk seat cover..he said he's not paid to say it..but he loves it.

DJ
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

I recently had a thread going on similar topic...

I will get a custom rebuild on my seat on Wednesday of this week
I AM looking forward to the new seat...but...I have to be honest...
the more I ride the better the stock seat feels... or rather the more I ride... I hate it less....what think I am saying is that my butt has gotten conditioned. It is very much like I experience on my bycycle each year. I will "ooch" and "ouch" for a day or two but then find my way with it.

I agree with the comment about the undies...
we can skip the details, but Seams in all clothing is something I consider when I ride. You probably do too.
I am really fussy....
Waist bands, cuffs, necklines etc. I choose clothing that has minimal seams and feels good either alone or layered up. I also try to remember that little area on my back where the pants may gap a little and the jacket may not completely keep the wind out.......I wear a long soft shirt tucked into my polyprop long johns. (this time of year in the northwet)

I am sure it is weird combinations of colors and fashion but it feels good.

Hang in there with the seat. A lambswool seems easy enough to try and less expense than a rebuild or custom. You may find that you hate it less.
Carol
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!
12bar1
Lifer

Post by 12bar1 »

I had the Alaska Leathers Sheep Skin But Pad on my stock seat for about 15,000 miles and it was pretty good. About a week ago I got a Sargent seat :D , huge difference 3 to 4 hour rides no problem.
Yer wanted by the police and my wife thinks your dead.
Parkblu
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Parkblu »

Message avalanche... fore!

:D

Thanks for the great advice so far. Das Forum at it's best. Ja ja.

Subject on hand: aftermarket seats are the ticket, because they don't have to comply with the average derriére. I had a Corbin on my Honda and loved it - great seat (though the worsest company to deal with. Not worst, worsest. I'd rather sit on a 2x4 than ever buy a Corbin again). But as I mentioned, a Meyer etc. is not in the budget for now.

From what I remember from Motorcycle Cruiser, Airhawk came across the best covering solution, though costly at US$150. Sheepskin, recommended here and elsewhere, runs at approx US$50 (Alaska Leather) for our bike. I think I will give that a shot then.

I recently rode with padded bicycle shorts, but that pair may have been a size to small. I also heard the tip about unpadded ones, and since I have a pair, I'll try those out on my next ride.

Many thanks thus far, everyone - and ride safe!
bikermeow
Lifer

Post by bikermeow »

The previous owner of my R muz have lowered the seat by reoving some sponge from the seat's crotch region. Question is ... should I pad it up again? I find myself leaning into the crotch area .. not too comfy ... :cry:

In my town, it's cheap to modify seats, something like US15 to US$30 to re-skin and remove/add sponge

Cheers

Meow
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

Everybody's butt is different. There is no way a manufacturer can come up with a seat design that accomodates everybody. If you're lucky then the factory seat is fine for you. If not then it may get expensive trying to find an aftermarket seat or upholstery that would work for you.

I'm lucky that the factory seats work great for me. Although on my Aprilia, I did require the Sargent seat for comfort.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
jetblack
Basic User

Post by jetblack »

I think that riding regularly is the only answer, having had both R1100 and 1150 I prefer the old 1100 seat and thats what i have on my R850 classic/comfort in fact the seat was one of the reasons I got rid of my yellowjacket and bought a new 04 R850R.
tor1150r
Basic User

Post by tor1150r »

Both my wife and I are real light-weights. So the stock seat hasn't posed much of a problem. We usually stop for a stretch/water at around the 150km or 60-90 minute range anyway.

As for alternatives, I've just ordered a set of beadriders (beaded covers) for our 22k km trip this summer. We'll have results by end of June, after our first leg of the trip.

I have heard great things about beaded covers and sheepskins though.
07 R12GS - Granite
04 R1150R - Black (sold)
Member #468
Alannc
Basic User

Stock Seat

Post by Alannc »

I'm with the group that doesn't mind the stock seat. Have ridden over 700 miles in a day without any problems. 500 plus several times, I've got 47,000 on my 02 R. From the comments the seat must work better for small, light folks - I''m 5'9", 160#. I do have barbacks, have more problems with shoulders hurting.

I do as others have mentioned: Stand on pegs for a mile or two, use rear pegs, shift weight from one cheek to the other, sit on passenger pad, move feet on pegs from balls of feet to heels, lay on tank, sit straight up.... you get the idea.

Hey, lets face it, the longest you are going to ride is about 200miles before you are forced to stop anyway.

Alan
Alan
02 Black R1150R
51 BSA D1
55 BSA D3
67 BSA A65L
76 Triumph TR6
78 Triumph T140E
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Seat

Post by TicTac50 »

Parkblu.
Welcome to the club of the bad BUMS :D :D :D
I had the same problem you having now and did spend or should I say wasted money on the different gadgets to make the ride better, but nothing helped.
I did not like the idea of buying the seat without trying it first.
I found my BMW riding buddies in Ft. Lauderdale and almost all of them have an aftermarket seats. You are welcome to come and ride with us. We meet at 7:30am every Sunday at the Nub Hill Road, two lights north of 595 at the gas station by the CVS pharmacy. You will have a chance to test at least 4 or 5 different brand names of aftermarket seats. After checking all the seats I had available to me, I picked Russell and I am very happy with my choice. Hope to see you this coming Sunday.
TicTac50
rock712
Lifer

Post by rock712 »

On the stock seat I lastest from, NJ to VA about 6 hours (including the 4 refuels) before I HAD to get off the seat, I recently gotg a Sargent seat and I'm only doing short hops but I def think this will help me out.
You think chicks dig guys who look like road-grimed astronauts and have interesting x-rays?
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Stock seat = 200 miles.
Sargent seat = 500+ miles.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
gagator79
Lifer

Post by gagator79 »

Sargent seat makes a huge difference...short or long hauls for me. Biggest difference is that I don't notice the seat most of the time.
Don Purvis
'02 1150R (Atlanta Blue)
AndyfromPoland
Basic User

Post by AndyfromPoland »

I've found the stock seats on all the BMWs (RR, KRS, CS, GS12) I've had work fine, even for many hours. Maybe it's just me. However, they can take a long time to break in. Good aftermarket seats are very, very expensive plus (no disrespect to our cousins from over the pond) they tend to be made for the US market where, ahem, bums can be fairly expansive.
Member #69
Feeding the Rat
joel
Basic User

no bunk in this junk

Post by joel »

Well my ass is not on the, ahem, large size. Size 32 waist, and the stock seat murdered my ass on long rides. Just took delivery of a sargeant seat, and although I haven't taken a 100+ mile ride yet, the sargeant is definitely a big improvement in my opinion.