I saved $900 today....

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

jm1515
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

I saved $900 today....

Post by jm1515 »

...by NOT going to my dealer and buying a set of System City Cases as I have been wanting to do!
Are these prices nutz or what?? :shock:
By the time you buy the brackets, assorted hardware and the #$#%^ Roundel and reflector (NOT included??? Come on.....) you're at 9bills!
Ridiculous!! :cry:
For those of you who have Sys Cases...are they worth it??
Any decent, viable and NOT fugly alternatives??
I HATE to buy used stuff, and I kinda wanted to thro some cash my dealer's way on this, but.......
Somebody save me from myself, pulleeeze.... :roll:
j magda
TripleLifer Member 454
04 Black (the Classiest Color) R1150R
Deep in the OH wasteland...
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

System cases are worth it. Mine have been completely waterproof for nearly four years. I've had my cases on my bike for 90% of the 35k miles I've put on. And my dealer installed them on my bike for just under 700 bucks.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I got a "first 5 payments made by BMW" deal on my R1150R, so I financed the cases. They are WORTH it.

Waterproof and secure. I can park my bike anywhere and secure all my electronics.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Mega bucks..Yes...rediculus price..Yes...Are they worth it..Yes!

I got mine in a deal with the bike for their cost price (about half price).

It's not till you've needed them and used them that you realize just how good they are.

I went to the Formula One's yesterday..I had one system case full of a large cooler bag..full of drinks and food and heaps of ice..the other with hats,warm clothes and wet weather gear...it ended up raining..I'm so I'm glad I took all that stuff.. :D

Start saving.. :D

DJ
ebiker
Basic User

Re: I saved $900 today....

Post by ebiker »

jm1515 wrote:...by NOT going to my dealer and buying a set of System City Cases as I have been wanting to do!
By the time you buy the brackets, assorted hardware and the #$#%^ Roundel and reflector (NOT included??? Come on.....) you're at 9bills!
I HATE to buy used stuff, and I kinda wanted to thro some cash my dealer's way on this, but.......
Locks and keys.....don't forget the locks and keys--extra cost, too.

I have the full size RT bags by using the muffler lowering kit.

If I were to do it all over again, for the same price, I would go with Jesse Bags. They look weird, but will hold more goods and take more abuse.

Ed..
I'm outta' here!
bimrluvr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 429

Post by bimrluvr »

Only worth it if you can find them (and the brackets) used...otherwise, there are a few alternatives like Jesse's, also Pelican Cases, Givi Monokey. some places to try:

http://www.fieldtexcases.com/

http://www.moto-sportpanniers.com/

Oh, and keep an eye on the beemerboneyard.com and Internet BMW Riders ...they frequently have case sets.
#429 (in for life)
'06 Silver R1200RT
'04 Titan Silver R50R (3/05-9/10 was a good friend - RIP)
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I got mine used for $400 about 1.5 years ago. They are really worth it. Most BMW owners are somewhat obsessive/compulsive, so if you buy used BMW parts, they are usually in good shape. I have never been disappointed buying a used part -- system cases, fly screen, etc.

It is worth buying them, but used.

Now you want the City lids, which will be harder to find. Suggest you buy the regular lids, and take your time getting the City lids. I may also get them some day.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
orbea54
Basic User

Craigslist-San Francisco

Post by orbea54 »

Out here in San Francisco, Craigslist a huge bulletin board. I believe they ahve a Craigslist for your area too.

I got my cases for $350. They are out there used, you just need to be patient. I looked on IBMWR.ORG, EBay and Craigslist.org.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

check the buy/sell section, new cases for sale. NEW!
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
wncbmw
Lifer

system cases

Post by wncbmw »

I agree with most that have already posted.

Worth it! (dry stuff)

Buy used! (you will scuff them before long anyway)
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
GeoffJ
Basic User

Post by GeoffJ »

System cases are definitely worth the money. They integrate well with the BMW's styling; it's nice having a single key for the ignition switch and cases; and system cases increase a bike's resale value.

The best aftermarket alternative to system cases is Givi bags. They're well made, spacious and look nice. My only nit is the fact that they stick out so far from the bike. They look unusual from the rear.
'96 BMW R1100R
'05 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
rockstercliff

System cases

Post by rockstercliff »

To echo all the others, they are most definately worth it. You just need to do what I did and make them and the touring windshield part of the deal.When I bought my Rockster, and was dealing, got the dealer to "throw them in and then I will take the bike". He was glad to, and I was glad also. Have had system cases on 4 out of the 5 BMW's that I have had in my lifetime.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Definitely worth it . . . . especially if you buy them from Chicago BMW at 1-800-262-9150. They are 20% off BMW retail. Get the locks and re-keying kit so your ignition key will operate them. Talk to them, tell them what you have and what you want . . . there'll be no problem and quick service.

When I broke down and reluctantly bought them on my trusted BMW owner friend's advice way back in 2002, I thought they would be on the bike for only part time. After using them, they are ALWAYS on the bike. almost 4 years later and they are still waterproof, even after washing the bike. If you want them to carry a lot of stuff, then I recommend you lower the muffler and get the full sized left bag. If you travel lite and rarely carry anything, then the City lids and regular left bag (how I travel and what I have) will do fine.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

with the 20% discount bags with badges and locks were only $620 with local tax at chicago bmw.

Since they sell used for 400+, it seems like a good investment to me.

Bill
mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Post by mcooperstein »

There's a new set of bags (sans luggage rack) on our buy/sell/trade section for $400 (what a deal!!). Herb, one of the moderators here is selling them.

Mark
orbea54
Basic User

IBMWR.ORG

Post by orbea54 »

There is a person on IBMWR.ORG is selling a set of cases for $300 plus shipping. Thats a great deal!

http://www.ibmwr.org/market/adlist.php?cat=oas

And there is also a person on this sight selling Cathy's bag liners that are usually around $100 for $50 bucks.
The Kurch Man
Basic User

Re: I saved $900 today....

Post by The Kurch Man »

jm1515 wrote:...by NOT going to my dealer and buying a set of System City Cases as I have been wanting to do!
I wondered the same thing as I was getting ready to drop the $$ when I bought the bike. Well worth it. They attach and detach REAL nice. Find them used if you can. I was kind of anal wanting 'scuff free' but they all end up with some minor scuffs so if you get them used, don't let that bother you.
Dennis
2004 R1150R
Hiker
Basic User

Post by Hiker »

Also look on the ADVrider.com list.

They go in bunches. Got mine there.

Hiker
<Sonja>
2004 R1150R Silver

Does the noise in my head bother you?
username
Basic User

Post by username »

they're worth it, as long as you lower your exhaust. the left bag with the big cutout for the muffler is dopey. it's better to have a full bag there.

it wasnt worth it for me to get the bmw top case though. i wanted more capacity for long trips, so i went with a givi top case. the thing swallows helmets, and anything else. pretty sweet, and cheaper than the bmw case. plus, i don't plan to keep it on the bike all the time. (although i prolly will, i'm getting spoiled by the convenience.
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

Have you considered a givi trunk?

The E52N is 52 ltr. this is as big as both system cases (without the lowererd pipe). and the best part is that when I open it, all my stuff doesn't fall out:)..

But really, you can do the trunk with mounting for about $300, give or take. and if you lane split at all, it is alot easier.

Bill