Please help!! Starter issues! MAYDAY!!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Kevin
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Please help!! Starter issues! MAYDAY!!

Post by Kevin »

I looked through some of the old posts for starter problems, and what I saw seemed to deal mostly with low batteries. My problem: I took my '02 R for a 50+ mile ride today without incident, and parked in the driveway when I got home. This was not my first ride of the year, as I have been riding through most of the winter and had ridden to work Monday through Thursday last week. Later, when I went to put it in the garage, I turned the starter switch to on, and apparently didn't wait long enough before hitting the start button. The starter motor noise had not finished, and when I hit the button, it made a loud rapid clacking noise like an electric machine gun, similar to what I have read on the other posts. I turned everything off, and then retried it, after waiting for the appropriate time, and still am getting the same noise. The lights dim as this happens, and the starter motor noise returns after I release the button. I obviously am not very mechanically inclined, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin
'02 Black Beauty R1150R
'98 (slightly banged up) Kaw Vulcan 500

Life is good.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

starter noise

Post by towerworker »

You say you turn the starter switch to on---Do you mean the ignition switch? The noise I hear when I switch the ignition to on (as long as the gear selector is in neutral) is the fuel pump in the tank. It makes a "whirring" sound for a second or two. Is this what you are hearing?
When I hit the starter button the headlamp goes out while the motor is cranking and comes back on when the engine starts and I release the starter button. You say your headlamp dims--I need some clarification if you can.

Wayne
03r
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

It sound like your battery is low..or maybe died.

I would try again..don't worry too much about that nasty noise.

Maybe rock the bike in gear..and put it back in neutral and try again.

If you have a hill you could roll start it..in second or third gear..stand on the pegs and drop your butt onto the seat as you drop the clutch.

Once it's started take it for a good half hour run and then see how it goes.

You may need a new battery.

Let us know how you go.

DJ
Kevin
Basic User

Post by Kevin »

Yes, sorry. When I turn the ignition switch to on, and after it finishes whirring, I hit the ignition button and there is a loud rapid clicking sound, while the light dims considerably. Originally, I apparently did not give the fuel pump enough time to finish whirring before I hit the igniton button. Since posting the start of this thread, I tried push starting the bike from just a few feet in 2nd gear (all the room I had in my garage as it is raining outside) and the bike didn't turn over but did make the fuel pump whirring noise again, as soon as I let go of the clutch.

Thanks, in advance.

Kevin
'02 Black Beauty R1150R

Life is good.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

is it the original battery? Do you have an ABS model?

A 4 year old battery will get flaky, especially on the ABS models.

My battery is toast after 3 years I think. spoke to a dealer mechanic and was advised that there are goofy things that can happen with a unstable battery.
especially on ABS models with the computer electronics. He said 3 year life on a ABS model, maybe more without ABS.

For instance, the new gel chargers won't charge a dead battery! I got a error light and no charge. The charger itself audits the electronics on the bike.

The machine gun sound is familiar. It's the battery, probably not holding a charge anymore.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
dragonmojo
Basic User

Battery

Post by dragonmojo »

Ah, a sound I know all too well... been there many times. The last time was because of a battery whose time was due. Other times it was mainly from not riding long enough between idle time in my garage (I run electric apparel during cooler months). When in doubt, I throw a Battery Tender on my bikes the night before a ride.

Alan
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

starter noise

Post by towerworker »

Kevin--

Sounds like a dead battery to me too. I just replaced mine yesterday with a maintenance free Odessey from a link on an earlier post. Mine (03) was still starting fine but being a little over 3 yrs old I figured it was time.
Good luck!

Wayne
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Some Other Things

Post by MikeCam »

Depending on your level of expertise, here are some things to check...

Battery - I agree it is the most probable cause of that noise. Take it out and individually check each cell for specific gravity. Maybe salvagable, maybe not.

Also, be more careful in your start-up sequence. Turn key, wait for all self-tests to finish, then push starter button. Warning Lights should be all out (except maybe oil pressure and GEN) but those should go out as soon as the starter engages. Dirty fuel filter is unlikely, but a fuel system fault could cause a starter safety cut-out.

Other things....

Kill switch- jammed/faulty/on; side stand switch- dirty/jammed/faulty; 1st gear/neutral sensor confused-same as side stand switch; fuses, starter bolt (tight connection), ignition coil, overall condition of ground wires here and there; inadvertant short; alternator belt tension.

But it's likely just a weak battery.

Best of luck.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
jtbraun
Basic User

Is your kickstand up?

Post by jtbraun »

I recently learned that if the sidestand is down, and the bike is in gear, even with the clutch pulled in, the bike will not start. You have to put the side stand up, or put the bike in neutral.
Kevin
Basic User

Wheww!!

Post by Kevin »

Just wanted to thank all who posted for your helpful insights and suggestions. I ended up getting a battery tender, and after charging overnight and showing full charge, the R started to turn over before going back to the rapid clicking sound. SO I got a new battery - a maintenance-free from West Co. and installed it myself. I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the other threads and seeing how invasive it is to do, but it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be. No scratches, drops, kinks or explosions. Only one left-over lock washer that I noticed half-way through the re-installation process and realized it was from the negative terminal.

Anyway, it started right up after getting everything back together and is still doing well 160 miles later. Thanks again for the advice, and the thread that showed detailed pics for the tank removal process was especially helpful. This truly is an informative and helpful site to turn to in times of need and want.

Ride on!!
'02 Black Beauty R1150R

Life is good.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Glad

Post by MikeCam »

On behalf of Roadsteristas the world over, we are happy the situation was resolved to your satisfaction. Coolio!
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
acejones
Basic User

Post by acejones »

Dead battery; loose cables- Probably battery gone to battery heaven.