Updating on the alt belt replacement

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Updating on the alt belt replacement

Post by Photoguy »

...that I asked about last winter. Finally got around to switching out (or attempting to) the alternator belt. I had a chirp on cold start up that came from that area.

I was originally going to attempt to adjust the tension bolt from the back side as some do but I struggled to get my old Craftsman torque wrench on it. I didn't want to spend the $40 on the BMW adjusting tool to make the tension adjustment from the front but got some pointers and ideas here for making a tool- which I did. That was pretty easy and worked like a charm.

A couple of issues I had. When I removed the alternator cover I saw that the belt had been installed incorrectly. Instead of the belt sitting within the top pulley, one of the ribs on the belt was outside of the pulley. That means the belt was slightly crooked. Maybe that was the chirp? Otherwise the belt was in good condition. A little rubber dust in the area but nothing broken, no pieces of belt lying around. I had a replacement belt- same part number as the one that was on the bike - Continental 4 PK 611 ELAST but there was no way this was going on, it was way too small. A quick YT search and I see that there's 2 belts available and one of em is a little longer. Not entirely sure why the same part number belt would't go on, but when I watched a YT video and a guy literally slipped it over both pulleys by hand I knew something was up. And despite having the same part number it's hard to imagine that the original belt had stretched that much when comparing the two side by side.

Anyway I decided to re-use the old belt since it looked OK. Will order one of the longer ones when I sort out the part numbers.

The other issue I had was accessing the torque bolt with my wrench. It's pretty tight in there. Maybe compounded cause I used a hex head bolt as the drive point of my tool. I finally got it by coming up through the front tele lever arm.

Anyway, here's the tool. I took some advice that was posted here and tweaked it a bit. The hex head bolt is short enough to allow the coupling nut to snug down on the tensioning bolt without bottoming out on the bike. The spring was based on the BMW part. Not sure but I think this allows tension to keep the adjusting bolt from slipping backwards and having the cam come out of the track on the backside. Not sure it was necessary, but it only added 2.00 to the 6.00 total for the part.

Bogdan
Basic User

Re: Updating on the alt belt replacement

Post by Bogdan »

I had the parts guy a the local dealership order my belt. He, of course, ordered the one that matched my model and year. It was very hard to get on - definitely didn't just slip on. ( Why is it the video dudes never encounter the problems I do when tackling the same job ? ) But....the old belt was crazy hard to get off - which is why some advise cutting it off. Two size belts with the same number....news to me. Could both my new and old belts been too small ? But..thinking out loud....The old belt had to be the original. I got the bike with 20k miles.
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

I thought I was going to be good to go with the new belt as it had the same markings as the old. The old belt came of pretty easily with the alternator lowered. Trying to put the new belt on and it wasn't going. Tried a few different approaches and still no go. Maybe if the all of the 'other stuff' wasn't in the way there could be a way to get some leverage to at least walk the belt onto the pulley. That's when I took the old belt and lined it up with the new one. Considerably longer. I wasn't sure if that was from being stretched or if they were in fact 2 different sizes. but since the old belt still looked pretty good I just decided to use it.

Agree about the YT videos...they always seem to have a cut right at the point of installing something then cut back after it's already on ;) One later video I watched though did show putting the belt on and that's when it occurred to me there must be a longer one available as his slipped right in place with virtually no effort. And since the belt is being tensioned by lifting the alternator, why wouldn't a longer belt make sense?!

Funny also the videos that show the engine out of the bike and on a bench. then when I go to do something I run into all the other things that are attached to my bike. Kind of like I did here- trying to find a way to position the torque wrench so it would work :)
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

There are two BMW belt sizes, depends on the year or vin #. Our 2004 was suppose to take the later belt, smaller one. We found the same number on the original belt, but it wouldn't fit. Ended up using the other BMW belt no problem.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thx swamper. I'll order the other longer belt. I'm pretty positive that'll fit.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

This seems to be helpful. Anton is in the Charlottsville, Va area and is well known for his work.

http://largiader.com/articles/altbelts/
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Got to thinking....yes, sometimes a risky way to spend time. The basic design of our motorcycles is sound and even special. I can't think of a contemporary model that would better meet my needs. However....those fabled German engineers can be sloppy with the details. The exploding connection between the tank and fuel injectors is just one example. I'm confidant the very tight belt I just changed was original; the belt I replaced it with was also tight and thus absurdly difficult to install. The parts guy didn't give me the option of a looser belt with the same number. I wonder if BMW got feedback from frustrated dealer techs and came up with a belt easier to install. For some reason, not all know of the change.
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I replaced my belt at about 60,000 miles three years ago, got a replacement belt at the local auto parts store for about $10US .
It was a Continental belt .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Finally got around to installing the alternator belt that was in the garage.
80,000+ on the old belt, it wasn't frayed, no cracks and wasn't making any noise, likely would have went another 80,000.
The 34mm socket and nifty little gates belt tool were a waste of money. Went back to a large adjustable wrench and a piece of 3/8 plywood to hold the new belt on the pulley.
The big socket gets in the way when your putting the new belt on and the gates tool, might have been pilot error but I've been working wrenches for well over half a century and usually don't get confused.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358