Roadster Lazy Susan

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Roadster Lazy Susan

Post by towerworker »

I park my bike in my carport and have to share the space with my truck. Often times space is tight and it's difficult to turn the bike around without moving my truck first. I have seen another idea once of a turntable that a rider installed in his garage----neat idea but not practical for me or affordable.

Possibly someone has done this before but I had never seen it here. It seems to work extremely well with my R due to it being well balanced.
I bought a 12" lazy susan turntable from the local Lowe's Building supply for just under $10. I found a scrap steel plate slightly wider than the turntable and drilled and bolted the two together with 1/4" stainless hardware. (I think most any small hardware would suffice--I just had these on hand) I greased the bearings with some spray lithium grease (again had it on hand)

The bike goes up on the lazy susan easily on the center stand. I can rotate the bike in a circle easily with one hand. I pull the bike over the turntable and set it up on the centerstand. Then just spin the bike 180 degrees.

I am going to attempt to post a link to photos I have taken of the project. If I am not successful anyone can email me at [email protected] and I will send you the pics.

Wayne

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Very good idea and execution. Thanks for the tip.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
NorseMan9
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Holy Great Idea Batman!!!!!!

Post by NorseMan9 »

Reminds me of the Bat Cave

Da da da da da da da da da!!!! BATMAN!!!!! :D
Erik (a.k.a. Norseman9)
Lexington, MA

2002 R1150R (black, the only color)
Yankee Beemers
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Towerworker, Great Idea!!, Do you have any problem with the bike wanting to turn when putting it on the centerstand? Thanks Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
JCsman
Lifer

Post by JCsman »

Clever boy, Towerworker. I would steal the idea from you, but you can't swing a dead cat in my garage, let alone the Roadster. :oops:
- Bill #438, Lifetime
If I'm going to grow up, I'd better hurry.....oh well.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Good thinking....... 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I haven't had any issues with the bike wanting to turn on it's own. With the system cases it has some weight on the rear tire. I really don't leave it on the Lazy Susan other than just to spin it. It seems to spin very easily and smoothly. I remember watching my bike gently rock back and forth in windy conditions on the center stand when I first bought it in 03. (minus the system cases) Made me a little uneasy!

I pull the bike on the carport, set the device under the stand, spin the bike and then generally set the Lazy Susan out of the way. I know alot of machines are not as balanced as ours so it may be a bit more difficult for them but I didn't build it for them. Built it for me!

Wayne
Lobo1625
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 611

Post by Lobo1625 »

Very clever way of spinning the bike around! I've found that on smooth cement (garage floor) the Roadster is so well balanced, It can be spun on the center stand. I do like you 'Lasy Susan" much better though. Kudos!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

If you're not sure if you should go for a ride or not..you could just give it a big spin..and see which way it ends up pointing... :D

DJ
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

great idea.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Lobo1625 wrote:Very clever way of spinning the bike around! I've found that on smooth cement (garage floor) the Roadster is so well balanced, It can be spun on the center stand. I do like you 'Lasy Susan" much better though. Kudos!
I have a finnished floor and so I use a piece of plywood (1/2"), The bike and wood spin together, (leaving a small scar on the floor) But it really works well. I do like the "Lazy susan" Idea. it should work great on floors not quite so smooth or carpeted, etc: great idea, Den

We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

the Roadster is so well balanced, It can be spun on the center stand.
Caution!! A head's up for you guys that do the spin thing on center stand. I too did that for years with my old RS. Worked great, until one day I went to put it on center stand and the stand didn't catch and the bike fell over. Investigation revealed that years of spinning had gouged out the soft material that had the notch to catch the stand! I had to take the center stand to be welded up to work.

I suppose our bikes stands work differently than the old RS but be aware, it stresses things not meant to be stressed. Does no harm to do it occasionally but for regular spinning, do the "lazy susan" thing.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people don't do what's right, they do what's most convenient and then repent
2015 Honda PCX150
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

If you've got that much room in the garage....

YOU'VE NOT GOT ENOUGH TOYS!!!

;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

wncbmw wrote:
the Roadster is so well balanced, It can be spun on the center stand.
Caution!! A head's up for you guys that do the spin thing on center stand. I too did that for years with my old RS. Worked great, until one day I went to put it on center stand and the stand didn't catch and the bike fell over. Investigation revealed that years of spinning had gouged out the soft material that had the notch to catch the stand! I had to take the center stand to be welded up to work.

I suppose our bikes stands work differently than the old RS but be aware, it stresses things not meant to be stressed. Does no harm to do it occasionally but for regular spinning, do the "lazy susan" thing.
WNCBMW,, Your "Heads Up' got me thinking and I think you are right.I went out and purchased a "Lazy Susan" bearing (12"), I couldn't find a suitable piece of metal so I used a piece of 1/2 plywood, seems to work fine, The bike is very stable so I think I will just leave it on the turntable between rides. Towerworker, Thanks for a great idea, and Vann for the "Heads Up". Den

We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Your "Heads Up' got me thinking and I think you are right
My work on this thread is finished! 8)

Glad you acted before something broke. It was a sick feeling to watch my beautiful bike fall over when the center stand failed! :cry:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Hoof
Basic User

Re: Roadster Lazy Susan

Post by Hoof »

I've used one of these 12" Lazy Susans for a few years now - I pop rivetted a square of heavy grade checker plate aluminum on to it to give a wider surface and also drilled a couple of holes through two of the corners and into the garage floor. through which I drop a couple of 4 inch coach bolts - It stops the Susan from spinning when standing the bike on it. The bolts pull out (I put a couple of cord loops on the bolts) when it's time to spin the bike. So easy on a balanced BMW - even works on a thin carpeted floor.
Also works fine with other centre stand bikes - even the front heavy Ducati which needs a strap through the front wheel to lift the bike to the balance point to turn it. System seems indestructable - a great idea from whoever first suggested it.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I hadn't seen this thread in many years. Thanks for resurrecting it! And yeah it was my idea. I had no room to turn the bike around and it filled the need. A couple years later I saw a more refined version in a motorcycle magazine for about $180.00.

I still have the one I made so many years ago. Doesn't get much use these days, mostly because no more carport. Your idea is a good one. If I'm to start using mine again I really need to do like you and make the top a bit wider.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
MattPie
Lifer

Post by MattPie »

Heh, I remember this thread from when I was a regular too. Considered making one, but got used to rolling my bike out backwards. Driveway is downhill so it's just a matter of keeping balance.
Go Sabres!
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

MattPie...just in case you're watching, check your PM's :)