Brake Failure

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Brake Failure

Post by Matt »

On my 08 R12R with a mere 14k miles I have the Brake failure warning light on, the GS911 reads the fault "Power supply to pump motor faulty" . What is the chance of it being the battery? with the engine and ignition off the battery voltage is 12.8, with the ignition on it drops to 12.4 and with the engine running it increases to 13.8.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Re: Brake Failure

Post by jkhomes »

I would say the chance of it being your battery are good. On my previous R bike, the ABS was very sensitive to the motorcycles electrical issues and the brake light always preceded any other idiot lights.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

Thank you. I have read of these AGM batteries having sudden death, I will order a new one on Monday [-o<
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I have been very happy with the MotoBatt MBTX12U Battery I ordered from Amazon for $80. Your battery voltage seems okay though. Could be something else...
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

A faulty battery would be the best outcome but I suspect it is the ABS motor at fault. The light came on today within a few minutes of riding and the voltage was 12.8v, so the battery does appear ok.
racerb
Basic User

Post by racerb »

strangely enough my 2008 with 4,000 miles did the same thing 3 days ago. brake fail lamp on and NO abs. cycled the switch returned after about 10 miles. I have other BMW's and one , an 03 clc, is real sensitive to abs faults due to battery voltage. Any how I put in a new battery and viola. Fault returns. SO as many have gone before so goes my out of warranty ABS module. I certainly hav e no intension of buying a new $2200 part when in fact all that is wrong with mine is poor quality control on the brush holders. I will disassemble mine and fix it. It's just aggravating that the newest bike and least ridden bike I own has so many issues. Fuel pump, EWS, Brake Lines, Fuel level strip, Now ABS MODULE. My K75rt Gives Zero problems for going on 20 years. I would be terrified to purchase the latest offering in the techno race from Belin, Those guys (bmw) just don't get it.

Imagine round the world on a NEW R12R in 2008. "It caught fire and burned to the ground in Scotland. Good Cause the brakes were gonna fail in Africa."

BOTTOM LINE if you got a Brake Fail lamp 0n cut to the chase send it to Module Masters or tear in to it yourself. :roll:
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

Thanks for suggestions and help. I did remove the ABS unit and the culprit was a sticky brush, It is all reassembled now and a 60 mile test ride returned an all clear :D
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Matt - search for ModuleMaster - they rebuild the ABS motor/unit for less than $300 with quick turnaround and offer a 5 year warranty on their work. I know quite a few people who've had them work their magic, and so far - everyone has been quite happy with the outcome.

FWIW - the failure code you're seeing is the motor failing. It is not uncommon on any of the '07 and newer hex/camhead BMWs.

RacerB - you must have gotten a lemon. My '07 R1200R has had quite a few fuel strips fail (7 I think by last count..) but other than that, only normal wear/service items have been required (a lot of tires and a lot of gasoline..) It's been vastly more reliable and more pleasurable to ride than the K75S that it replaced. And it has never required a clutch spline lube (currently at 88,600 miles now..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
racerb
Basic User

Post by racerb »

Well Don I don't know about a lemon but all those items were brought to my attention by BMW . even the brake module problem, even though that is out of warranty. I own a euro bike repair shop . So the process to fix the abs motor is really pretty easy. I just get angry with BMW when every one of those faults is due to supplier Quality. By the way I really do enjoy the R1200R and would buy another just prolly not the latest stuff from BMW. As they get more complex electronically it appears they out source more and seam to have trouble from their suppliers. (their excuse not mine)
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

deilenberger wrote:Matt - search for ModuleMaster - they rebuild the ABS motor/unit for less than $300 with quick turnaround and offer a 5 year warranty on their work. I know quite a few people who've had them work their magic, and so far - everyone has been quite happy with the outcome.

FWIW - the failure code you're seeing is the motor failing. It is not uncommon on any of the '07 and newer hex/camhead BMWs.

RacerB - you must have gotten a lemon. My '07 R1200R has had quite a few fuel strips fail (7 I think by last count..) but other than that, only normal wear/service items have been required (a lot of tires and a lot of gasoline..) It's been vastly more reliable and more pleasurable to ride than the K75S that it replaced. And it has never required a clutch spline lube (currently at 88,600 miles now..)
Hi Don, I did check out ModuleMaster but they are a the wrong side of the pond and I didnt want the bike out of action so I did it myself.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Matt wrote: Hi Don, I did check out ModuleMaster but they are a the wrong side of the pond and I didnt want the bike out of action so I did it myself.
Curious how you remounted the motor to the hydraulic modulator.. I know there are some directions on the Interwebz to do it, just wondering how you did it..
jc481bikes
Basic User

Post by jc481bikes »

I own a 2007 R1200R which I bought new. It has covered approx. 17k miles.
I decided to take it and fill up with fuel before a recent trip to Snetterton. To my horror the brake failure light did not go out when I set off up the road.

The brakes worked fine but I assume with no ABS.
The brake failure light did not flash when the ignition was turned on as it is supposed to.

Had a look at the internet, as one does, and everything seemed to point to sticking brushes in the ABS Modulator motor. One suggestion was to lightly tap the motor case with a hide mallet. I tried this and the light started flashing which seemed to confirm the sticking brush diagnosis. I also checked the fault codes with my GS 911 which showed 2 codes described as faulty electrical supply to ABS Modulator which were no longer present when the brake failure light started flashing again after 1 tap with a mallet. Breathed a big sigh of relief, deleted the fault codes and prepared for a test ride. The brake failure warning light lit up and stayed on immediately so back to square one.

This is where it turns ugly. No one at BMW or the main dealer network accepts that the ABS modulator can be repaired. All they offer is a new unit at well in excess of �1k plus VAT plus fitting plus VAT. In all you are staring at a bill in the vicinity of �2k!! Ouch !! All because of sticking brushes! Even people using main dealer servicing once out of warranty were reported as being offered goodwill of the order of �300 towards the cost which is not a generous offer in my view.

Back to the internet and I discover that this is a significant problem widely reported by other riders with bikes fitted with the "integral" ABS system. Obviously becoming more common as the bikes age. The problem therefore applies to a wide range of bikes. There were several reports of BMW refusing to accept that there is a problem!

Life is too short to start arguing with the talking heads at BMW so I start searching for an alternative approach. I find a post on U-tube of a guy who has fixed the problem himself by separating the motor from the valve unit and opening it up to access the brushes. That is too high risk for me!

I find a guy in the USA that fixes the problem with better quality brushes and gives a 2 year guarantee. However the cost of postage, insurance, re-import vat and duties makes it a lot more expensive than at first appears. Then I found a firm at Rochester in Kent called BBA - Reman which is an international concern that fixes ABS units along with lots of other things for all sorts of vehicles. They provide a complete rebuild service and deal with known "issues" on specific units to a point where they give a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the vehicle. I used them to sort out my unit. Removal and replacement of the unit was fiddly but straightforward with the right tools. Draining and bleeding the brake lines was straightforward but a little tedious.

Unit fitted and test driven and all good, for about a quarter of the price BMW wanted. My GS911 confirmed that no faults were present and the brake failure light goes out once the bike exceeds 5mph. Plus I have a lifetime warranty and I have not bought a new unit which has every chance of the same problem recuring once out of warranty!

I have no connection with BBA - Reman other than as a satisfied customer. I have gained a great deal of personal satisfaction in not adding to the revenues of BMW by buying a product which ought to last the life of the machine.

The reason I keep the bike is because I enjoy riding it, despite several recalls and work being necessary under warranty that could fill another posting - but that's another story.
One additional point which needs to be born in mind if anyone is thinking of buying a replacement unit, whether new or used. These units are electronically "linked" to the bike they are fitted to. If you fit a replacement then you will need to go to a BMW Dealer to have the unit "introduced" to the bike. Of course there will be a price to pay for that service!!
It is my understanding that only BMW Dealers have the necessary equipment to carry this out at present but I could be wrong. I would expect that a firm capable of repairing these units would sooner or later be able to do this too but I don't know that this is the case for sure.
Good luck!
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Good outcome!

Who is the "...guy in the USA that fixes the problem with better quality brushes and gives a 2 year guarantee?"
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
jc481bikes
Basic User

Post by jc481bikes »

The people I discussed the repair with were Module Master:

http://www.modulemaster.com

 2006 S. Main, Moscow, Idaho 83843, USA

 888 892-0764 (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm Pacific)

[email protected]

Hope this helps.
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

Thanks.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

David,

Last I heard MM was giving a 5 year warranty.. that might have changed though..
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
Matt
Basic User

Post by Matt »

I just peened over the metal to hold the motor. It doesnt look as nice as the original job but it has held for know. Another possible aproach would be to drill a small hole through the Ali post and use a roll pin to hold the motor, your could push the pin back and take the motor off witout removing the valve block, not sure if the post it is long enough.
deilenberger wrote:Curious how you remounted the motor to the hydraulic modulator.. I know there are some directions on the Interwebz to do it, just wondering how you did it..