New Clutch feels different / sensitive , normal?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

New Clutch feels different / sensitive , normal?

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Happy Sunday all!
I had my clutch replaced on my 2011 R1200R Classic. the bike feels stronger but different in the clutch feel I was used to. Bike has 40,000 Miles..first clutch replacement. I am second owner.

Not sure if this is just something to get used to but the clutch doesn't actuate till I get very close to the grip --maybe around an inch. Stalled the bike a few times while taking off from start but nothing major.
Starting from a stop requires a lighter touch than before, almost feathering it. otherwise pretty normal. it's been hot in NYC Is this fairly normal? Anything I should look for?

Thanks for any input!
winkeldc
Basic User

Re: New Clutch feels different / sensitive , normal?

Post by winkeldc »

Not really sure, but maybe they messed with the clutch lever adjuster on the handlebar? Is the setting different than when you took the bike in? I noticed riding my brother's r12r that he had his lever set on the shortest setting, so the clutch engagement difference between the shortest on his, and the widest on mine was different enough to trip me up every time I switched, and his felt like you are describing. I am not aware of any ability to affect the engagement point on the hydraulic system, so that's all I can think of.
LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by LeonardoNYC »

actually yes that's it..I switched it back and feels 90% better and the rest I think it's just getting used to a new clutch feel.
Thank you for the suggestion.
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

Nice, glad that worked out. That makes sense. It's amazing how used to degrading performance I get used to on things that wears so slowly. Every time I change a clutch or even tires, I notice how bad I let let the quality of the ride go before addressing it--- and without fail, every time I replace the offending component, I am amazed at the difference. You'd think I'd learn by now.