Setting the Clock

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

baffler
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Setting the Clock

Post by baffler »

What's with the stupid clock setting procedure? Why on Earth would BMW design a ridiculous clock setting procedure with ONE button when there are TWO buttons available. Am I the only one who has issues setting the time? I swear there are also bugs in the that software. I recently took 15 minutes to set the hour for Daylights Savings back (or forward, I can't remember) one hour. It was a process of complete frustration, even while following the manual step by step, at least 10 times before I could get it right.

Come on BMW, even Apple realized the one button interface is just not reasonable these days. Wake up and stop trying to be so clever!
Enjoy-Rider
Basic User

Re: Setting the Clock

Post by Enjoy-Rider »

I don't have any problems with it :-k
You just have to know how it works.
But yours might have a failure of course, don't know about that.

Good luck!
R1200R
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

baffler wrote: It was a process of complete frustration, even while following the manual step by step, at least 10 times before I could get it right.
Funny you should post this now. Not 1/2 hour ago I, too, tried to set the clock. I assumed such a simple thing would be intuitive, so I tried it without looking at the manual. It is anything BUT intuitive! I was in a hurry to get somewhere so I didn't pull the manual. I guess I'll RTF thing. @#$%#&
Last edited by famousperson on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
qfman
Lifer

Post by qfman »

Compared to the procedure on the R1150R it's a breeze. I used to have to squeeze my hand down between windscreen and instruments and push that tiny button about 1000 times to rotate through 13 hours. Each push would advance the minute hand only by 3 minutes.

I also had a VW golf which had the most frustrating and complex procedure for setting the clock on the stereo - I used to just leave it an hour slow through Daylight Saving. My new Mazda 6 wagon is not much better....

Tom
mechanic savant
Basic User

Post by mechanic savant »

Once ya got yer mit back there if ya held the button down on an 1150clock it would swing around quite nicely , it took a sec.or two to start the sequence but both my 1150's did it !!!
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

baffler wrote:What's with the stupid clock setting procedure? Why on Earth would BMW design a ridiculous clock setting procedure with ONE button when there are TWO buttons available. Am I the only one who has issues setting the time? I swear there are also bugs in the that software. I recently took 15 minutes to set the hour for Daylights Savings back (or forward, I can't remember) one hour. It was a process of complete frustration, even while following the manual step by step, at least 10 times before I could get it right.

Come on BMW, even Apple realized the one button interface is just not reasonable these days. Wake up and stop trying to be so clever!

That's funny, coming from a guy in a place known for it's time keeping... :roll:
RTFM. :mrgreen:
Get Lost!
qgaex
Lifer
Donating Member #: 647

Post by qgaex »

You are all crazy!

Why do you change the clock setting?

This bike is supposed to run on eternal summer time.
So the procedure is intentionally warped.

Cheers from Germany finally getting warmer

qgaex
+whojustdreamsofsummerwhenlookingattheclockinwinter+
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Why doesn't someone who finds it a job easily done just explain it step by step to the rest of us.
Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

celticus wrote:Why doesn't someone who finds it a job easily done just explain it step by step to the rest of us.
Mark
Sure..

Press and hold the button and something blinks. You can now change the blinky thingie with the button by doing multiple presses. Then you press it and hold to set that. (Or do you just wait? Mebbe it's wait.. whatever.. ) Move on to the next thing. Repeat. Start all over again when you hold the button too long or too short.

I can usually get it changed in less than 10 minutes. Usually. Well.. sometimes.

It is a dumb interface. :?
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

deilenberger wrote:
celticus wrote:Why doesn't someone who finds it a job easily done just explain it step by step to the rest of us.
Mark
Sure..

Press and hold the button and something blinks. You can now change the blinky thingie with the button by doing multiple presses. Then you press it and hold to set that. (Or do you just wait? Mebbe it's wait.. whatever.. )

yes, you press and hold it after it's on the correct time to set it.
Get Lost!
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

I just set mine, manual open in front of me. It takes a certain amount of hand/eye, fine-motor coordination to get it just right, things I don't have a lot of.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Thanks. =D> :mrgreen:
Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Bob41459
Lifer

Post by Bob41459 »

Funny I had to do this on Sunday and I got the manual out and had it done in a couple of minutes.I must be BMW interface literate. :lol:
2007 R1200R
beemerron
Basic User

Post by beemerron »

mechanic savant wrote:Once ya got yer mit back there if ya held the button down on an 1150clock it would swing around quite nicely , it took a sec.or two to start the sequence but both my 1150's did it !!!
Thanks for the tip. I bought an 1150R about 6 weeks ago and it didn't come with an owners manual. It took me 2 weeks to discover the fast idle lever. :D
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Pity the poor anal uncoes who have to cope with leap seconds.
The last one was 7 weeks ago, just in case you missed it.

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

The R1200R clock is undoubtedly the most unintuitive device I've run into in a while.

I know two people that made their living working on and with computers that spent almost half an hour in a WaWa (convenience store) parking lot trying to reset the clock (without a manual) and finally gave up.
It's all in the BOOK, you just have to read it, CAREFULLY.
#-o
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

You mean that you did not reset all you clocks to account for the leap second. How can you stand being 1 second off???? :D

Roger L
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

My 2009 F800ST has the same frustrating mystery button interface. Somehow I can't seem to remember the proper sequence. Try as I have for the 9 or 10 daylight savings time resettings . . . about 80 percent of the time I either reset the (important) tripmeter setting or get an undesired clock setting response, usually with the engine idling while getting ready to ride away.
I'm going to my bedroom nightstand drawer right now and RTFM, write down the sequence in the trunk stored notebook so the soon-2-be next time change is easy.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--