Installing the Odyssey PC535 in the R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

M249Joe
Basic User
Donating Member #: 931

Re: Installing the Odyssey PC535 in the R1200R

Post by M249Joe »

Ric wrote:What about the Deka ETX14 at $75 ? I see the PC535 is $135.
What finally sold me on paying a little more for the Odyssey was not only the technology of the battery but also the Odyssey battery slowly fails rather than the standard batteries that can fail suddenly.

I'm hoping to sense the Odyssey battery not cranking as well and then replacing it instead of being stranded.... But we know how the best laid plans end up some times....
07 R1200R, 12 S1000RR, 75 R90/6, 67 R50/2, 75 R90S
83 Suzuki GS1100E
07 Honda 450x
1978 Suzuki TS125
Ric
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Ric »

M249Joe wrote:
What finally sold me on paying a little more for the Odyssey was not only the technology of the battery but also the Odyssey battery slowly fails rather than the standard batteries that can fail suddenly.

I'm hoping to sense the Odyssey battery not cranking as well and then replacing it instead of being stranded.... But we know how the best laid plans end up some times....
On what vehicle have you experienced "Sudden" failure ?
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
M249Joe
Basic User
Donating Member #: 931

Post by M249Joe »

Ric wrote:
M249Joe wrote:

On what vehicle have you experienced "Sudden" failure ?
I have had few dead batteries in Jet Skis, Boats, and Motorcycles over the years. Sometimes you can "feel" they are going bad and other times you go to start and they are dead. I'm in Ohio and do keep trickle chargers on batteries during the winter.

Sulfation in conventional batteries slowly lowers the batteries capacity.
07 R1200R, 12 S1000RR, 75 R90/6, 67 R50/2, 75 R90S
83 Suzuki GS1100E
07 Honda 450x
1978 Suzuki TS125
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I think that the sudden failure is the way that the AGM batteries are failing. About a year ago I had one go in my car the same way. Everything was fine then one day -- nothing. Battery was fine, 12+volts, took a charge but as soon as it was under load (starter) it went open. After replacing it I attached a 55w driving light to it in the garage and it stayed on till I got tired of looking at it, about a day.

Ric - I think when Odyssey referred to their batteries being able to deep cycle I think they are saying that they can deep cycle without harm. If you notice on their site they carry a line of RV and Marine batteries (normally referred to as Deep Cycle). As far as the price you can go to Walmart and buy a lawn tractor battery for $29.95 that will start your bike. Same as some of the guys on this list, I've been in places where their was no cell phone service (or people) and the last thing (one of them) that I want to hear is one large click, and then nothing, when I go to start my bike. If it cost a few extra bucks to have a battery that is specifically make for bikes and has a great track record, I'll go for it. If the battery last 4 years the price breaks down to about the cost of a gallon of gas a month, and the difference between a battery and a really good battery is just pennies per month..
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Liam,
Thanks for your effort and the information you shared. Put my PC535 in today.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
TinkerToy
Lifer

Post by TinkerToy »

I have recently installed a PC 625...no case modification but iI did modify the positive terminal...The PC 625 has better specs,as I read them, the difference in the PC625 vs the PC535 is the height, about 3/4 of an inch taller There is plenty of seat base clearence although one needs to slightly move {bend} the "hooks" that secure the front of the seat. [I did the adjustment with a stout /large screwdriver] The positive batt. terminal extension was made from 1/4 inch copper tubing, flattened between two pieces of wood and squeezed in a vise, length aprox. 2". This places the positive terminal right over a frame member so a insulator was fabricated from a plastic PVC coupling,remove the internal stop with a rat tail file,and cut lenghtways past a center line so the finished insolater will snap onto the frame cross member. A lifting strap under the battery is a good idea, it will really help in removing the battery A slight rerouting of the leads makes it possible to put the PC 625 in the batt. box without case modification. There was a post on the AVID Rider site that tipped me off to this install Any one wanting help or more info call 865 696-4769
bmwbob
Basic User

Post by bmwbob »

late to the party . but i did have sudden failure on r1200r . i stopped
for gas when i tried to restart the bike . the lights came on but it
would not start total dead . though it was the ews ? ring took it to
the dealer . the battery was dead . so they do dead suddenly . second
battery working but sometimes it appears to be weak so been keeping
on a battery tender .
bob
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

TinkerToy wrote:There is plenty of seat base clearence although one needs to slightly move {bend} the "hooks" that secure the front of the seat. [I did the adjustment with a stout /large screwdriver]
Tell a bit more about this. If one moves the hooks, how do they still fit into the recesses on the seat base?
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

dbrick wrote:
TinkerToy wrote:There is plenty of seat base clearance although one needs to slightly move {bend} the "hooks" that secure the front of the seat. [I did the adjustment with a stout /large screwdriver]
Tell a bit more about this. If one moves the hooks, how do they still fit into the recesses on the seat base?
That seemed like a problem to me also. Something to remember when fooling around with batteries and the heavy gage wiring associated with them is that this is only 12 volt but at high amperage and their are NO FUSES. Although it might look OK at first glance (when modified) after 100 or 1,000 miles of rubbing on the frame or a brake line or bolt, the insulation could wear through and the first thing you will notice is SMOKE or Flames coming out from under the seat or gas tank.
Just a little hint for people that may be attempting this sort of thing for the first time. After a couple of hundred miles take the seat off and look around for something that is rubbing or being pinched . The company (BMW) takes time and effort to route wires where they will be safe and sometimes we forget that the thing that the wires is attached to is flexing and parts are moving in relation to other parts..
Most bike fires are caused by accessory wiring and I've seen some pretty scary wiring done by fairly competent mechanics.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Liam
Lifer
Donating Member #: 780

Post by Liam »

TinkerToy wrote:I have recently installed a PC 625...no case modification but iI did modify the positive terminal...The PC 625 has better specs,as I read them, the difference in the PC625 vs the PC535 is the height, about 3/4 of an inch taller There is plenty of seat base clearence although one needs to slightly move {bend} the "hooks" that secure the front of the seat. [
Hi,

I looked at the PC 625 before I chose the PC 535. After I got the measurements I found a paperback book that was as thick as the difference between the OEM battery and the PC 625. I put it on the battery and tried to put the seat back on. It wouldn't go back on. I chose not to bend the hooks since the PC 535 fit and was already more than the bike needed. "Matters of taste ..." and all that.

I also worried about replacing a 14 amp-hour battery with an 18 amp-hour battery. I wasn't clear if, or for how long, the charging system could handle it. The PC535 is rated at 14.8 amp-hours, something I was willing to risk.

I also want to say that using bent copper tubing is a really good idea. Replacing the terminals with a threaded standoff (or fabricating one) is also good. I just bent and re-installed the old terminals because it let me finish with the parts on hand with no cutting or drilling, and no irrevocable decisions. When I get a band saw and a drill press, I'll probably fabricate threaded standoffs.

For the record, the bike still cranks hard, even for multi-start-short-hop rides. I took the bike off the charger as soon as the weather got over 40°F at night. No Problems to report.

Liam
TinkerToy
Lifer

Post by TinkerToy »

In reply to the bending of the seat " hooks" , the best way to describe the minor alteration is that the tips that go into the seat pan didn't change position only the hooked turned down portion of the hook was tipped up. A better way to say it , the rounded end of the hook was positioned directly above the side frame member, there welded onto the frame at a slight canted angle which is slightly inside of the battery box { only a little, making it a tight fit to install and remove a PC625 } I appreciate the comments concerning the positive terminal mod. I believe photos of the instal would answer a lot of questions... so would one of you be kind enough contact me ,a computer illiterate, as how to get some photos onto the forum...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the reminder regarding rubbing or problems with the changes I made, your concerns are noted.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

TinkerToy,

The first post in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22702&p=200080&hilit=img#p200080

explains how to link to images so they'll show in your posting.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL