Windshield Bracket

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Windshield Bracket

Post by AncientMariner »

Exhaustive research of this forum suggests that satisfactory windshield performance can be obtained by installation of a bracket to lift the lower edge of the factory touring bracket in such a way as to tilt the shield backward. Several brands of shields have benefited from this treatment, including Cee Bailys and California Scientific. I chose the Cee Bailey's for esthetic reasons, and a sense that there were more satisfied Cee Baily's users than any other brand.

There are a couple of examples of simple brackets with an L-shaped bottom and a curved top to capture the OEM bracket. While this solution is quite simple, it has two drawbacks IMHO, 1) without some sophisticated bending equipment, it would be difficult to make up a pair of brackets that exactly matched; and 2) these brackets direct 100% of the force at the bottom of the windshield onto the fairly skimpy plastic tabs that serve to locate the plastic OEM foot. For these reasons, I chose to invent a spacer that would mimic the mounting and force distribution of the original bracket.

Ideally, I would have looked to have a piece machined from billet aluminum. ALternatively, it is possible to increase the length of the bottom loop of the touring bracket. However, unless you are in a position to do this by trial and error, you would need a very detailed model to give your welder.

My first step was to make up a test mule that would tilt the OEM windshield bracket as far back as possible. The gating factor here is the back of the speedometer. With the bracket thus tilted, I attached a yard stick to the bracket, originating at the top of the headlight. My son held a level from my mouth to the spot where it intersected the yard stick, at the 23" mark. There not being a size 23, I opted for the size down, 22". I'm 5' 8" with a 29" inseam. However, when I'm sitting, I see eye to eye with folks 5' 10". I have the lowered comfort seat. All of these factors plugged into the Cee Baily's fitting guide indicated a 22" shield.

Here is the test mule: two 3/8" plastic spacers stacked and a white ceder shingle, held together with painter's blue masking tape. Height 13/16"

I was able to achieve the desired thickness using two pieces of 3/4" aluminum tubing and a piece of 1-1/2" x 1/16" bar stock. These were cut to size on my radial arm saw, using a blade for plastic and soft metal. An angle 3 dgrees from 90 degrees meant that my fabrication would fit neatly into the space in the headlight bracket. I cut a piece of 1" x 1/8" bar stock to fit on the bottom of my bracket shaped like the OEM plastic hook. This piece would serve to mimick the forces usually distributed by the plastic hook and keep the plastic pieces on the bike happy. I also found that the OEM bracket was not fitting as snugly on my fabrication as it had on the mule, so I added a strip of 1'8" thick aluminum across the bottom leading edge. A little grinding enabled this to fit the slope of the plastic it was mating to. All of these pieces of aluminum are held together with aluminum pop rivets, and a pair of 1-1/2" aluminum binder posts. All this aluminum came from Lowe's.

The top of my bracket, showing bolt holes and a small indent that fits a small tab on the OEM plastic bracket:

Bottom view of the bracket, built up to help the mounting bolts keep everything firmly in place:

Here's a test fit:

Here are the Ferguson Box and the OEM plastic hook, showing how they are the same from the motorcycle's perspective:

And here they are together:

Test fit:

Looking pretty "rakish"

Test fit of the shield, notice how it leans back at a greater angle than the fork tubes. I also added 1/8" thick rubber washers under the bottom windshield mounts to further increase the rake. (Since doubled to two washers held together with some silicon):

[Image

A test ride at this point revealed mission accomplished. Acceptable wind in the face of up to 90 mph. No buffeting, even when passing large trucks. Sit up extra straight and get blasted with wind noise. Stand up into still air. Lean down and hide behind the shield when you get tired of the rain.

Time for some cosmetic considerations. Square tubing plastic plugs from McMaster Carr to fill in the ends and a coat of Krylon satin black to help the fabrication disappear into the bike:

All in all, a very gratifying result for minimal cost in time and materials. Still to report, installing GS hand guards and fabricating a fender extender. Stay tuned, now that I know how to do this picture posting...

Bruce
Last edited by AncientMariner on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Re: Windshield Bracket

Post by celticus »

Very Very nice Bruce. Did you have to bend the two ears that screw onto the top of the headlight bracket ( OR WHAT EVER ) or did I just miss that part?
Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

Bravo!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
AncientMariner
Lifer

Post by AncientMariner »

Mark,

It was not necessary to bend those two ears. Although they didn't line up perfect, they were very close and nice and flat when I snugged up the bolts.

My local dealer had told me that if I needed to bend the ears, I should bolt them on top of the bike and give them a bend, rather than using a vice. This would ensure that the bends were where they should be. He did recommend using a fender washer so that the bend would not be right at the head of the bolts. But as I said, bending was not required.
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

I think that's the nicest looking Ferguson Box I've ever seen!

Nice job, Bruce. That looks a lot stronger than anything kluged so far (well, Don's welded extension is probably pretty strong, but it's Don. Of course it's strong).

Now you'll have to tackle the next issue, the headlight illuminating the interior of your windshield at night!

Looking forward to your hand guard report...

Peter
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Mollygrubber wrote:Nice job, Bruce. That looks a lot stronger than anything kluged so far (well, Don's welded extension is probably pretty strong, but it's Don. Of course it's strong).
It's only strong because I didn't do the welding :) [I actually used to do a lot of stainless steel tubing fabrication for my old Norton with brazing - which was quite strong.. and I thought about making my own windshield bracket for the R12R that way.. butt - I digress..]
Now you'll have to tackle the next issue, the headlight illuminating the interior of your windshield at night!
Yup. Unfortunately Bruces won't be as easily solved as mine was (my bottom lip of the shield is JUST even with the front edge of the headlight - and some car-door U-shaped trim on the bottom of the screen killed the light piping up the plastic shield.)
This might be a case where a Harley like eyebrow on the headlight would work well.. Betcha JCWhitney has something that would work!
Looking forward to your hand guard report...

Peter
Me too!

Bruce - nice job! Any thought to making it shorter in length - just long enough to fit under the plastic hook bracket?
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
AncientMariner
Lifer

Post by AncientMariner »

Don,

I've been thinking about the Harley style eyebrow believe it or not. I've always kind of liked those, they have kind of a steam rairoad engine look. I haven't ventured out at night yet so I don't know how bad my problem is going to be.

If I do need some sort of blinder, I could probably make something out of all the left over aluminum stock laying about in my shop.

I made the box wide enough so that it rested just on the edge of the headlight brackets. I wanted to get whatever additional rigidity that would provide. The whole bike is plastic up front and I was concerned about adding any stress to anything. This way, any stress is spread around. Besides, you don't even see it because it blends in so nicely.

I will tackle reporting the GS guards as soon as possible. I realized that I needed a couple of more pictures. I will also report on my other minor farkles: RKA tankbag, a screen for the oil cooler and some stainless steel clevis pins to make sure the panniers stay attached.

I did manage to go riding today for a little while and I sure do like that bike.

My next project will be detailing the K75 so that I can sell it.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
snag
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 639

Post by snag »

Bruce,

I've just retired and now will have some time to tackle what I see as the two issues that stand between me and R12R perfection. This was one and the GS handguards is the other, I've got a set of GS handguards waiting on the shelf. I too look forward to your handguard "solution".

Doug
Plea bargaining does have its advantages.
'08 12R
'79 CBX
'74 CB750
AncientMariner
Lifer

Post by AncientMariner »

As Peter and Don pointed out, OK, so my windshield is awesome by day, not so nice at night due to rogue headlight illumination.

I picked up some door edge moulding ala Don's fix. Before installation, I checked to see if it was OK to use alcohol for cleaning. Not so fast the directions enclosed with the shield said: vynal gives off a gas that will craze the acrylic. I double checked with a call to Cee Baileys and they striongly recommended no vynal door edge guards. Glad I saved the receipt.

I have moved the headlight forward as far as the adjusters will allow, and I've added a strip of rubber tape across the top edge of the light. This took care of about 90% of the unwanted illumination.

However, I still want to find something to seal off that bottom edge. Cee recommended using auto glass tinting material. Anybody else got any suggestions?

And speaking about unwanted illumination, now I have a heads-up display of my instruments reflecting off the inside of the shield about half way up. Cool, sort of like a fighter jet. I made up some hoods for the instruments but unfortunately I did not make them large enough so they will have to go back to the drawing board.

Dog help me, but I do love motorcycling so. (paraphrased from Patton, the Ancient Warrior)

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

Just a suggestion, and certainly not for everyone, but I use SAENG swirl edging on the top and sides of my shield. It looks kind of retro, enlarges the air pocket a bit, keeps raindrops from streaming back off the top and sides, and certainly eliminates the light-pipe effect.

Here's a pic:

Last edited by xprof on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Mollygrubber
Lifer

Post by Mollygrubber »

AncientMariner wrote:However, I still want to find something to seal off that bottom edge. Cee recommended using auto glass tinting material. Anybody else got any suggestions?Bruce
Maybe some of that automotive pinstriping tape (white would kind of vanish I think), you can get it in various widths - bet that's sturdy enough. As long as there's a smooth surface to stick it to, I bet it would work. I'll have to try that. I like the headlight eyebrow idea too...

Peter

2010 F800GS
Member #741
AncientMariner
Lifer

Post by AncientMariner »

Mike,

Are you getting any of the instrument reflection on the inside of your shield?

Is the Saeng edging rubber? Did you ever try it on the bottom?

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

Bruce: I get a little instrument reflection, but it is way down on the shield, just above the instruments, and it doesn't bother me at all. But I DO get an annoying bounce-back from the headlight itself. I tried blacking out the top of the headlight with black tape, and it helped a bit, but wasn't a total solution. So, I just ordered a generic chrome headlight visor from JC Whitney ($16.99), and I'll see if I can kludge it in. Will report when I get it.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

Oops! I got so interested in the reflection problem that I forgot to answer your other 2 questions, Bruce. Yes, the SAENG edging is rubber, and no, I haven't tried it on the bottom. I've run SAENG stuff for almost 20 years, and I swear by it (but it's not cheap!). If you buy some and it doesn't want to slip on to your shield, line it up well and muscle it on, or whack it with a mallet. The thicker shields (mine is a CalSci) are at the outer edge of the fitment size.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

Since I have to wait at least a week to get my headlight visor (and I don't know a priori if it will even fit), tonight I tried putting 4" black foam pipe insulation on the bottom of the screen. It looks peculiar (OK: ugly!), but it totally blocks out the headlight reflection on the screen, and what a difference it makes! The night seems blacker, the road is easier to see, the headlight seems brighter. I can never go back! Now I really need that headlight visor to fit, and to look OK...
    Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
    ex1970 BMW R60/5
    ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
    ex Matchless G80CS
    deilenberger
    Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

xprof wrote:I can never go back! Now I really need that headlight visor to fit, and to look OK...
    Don't 'ya hate it when that happens. It's like getting a Russell seat - no other seat REALLY ever is as good.

I'm not gonna do that. BTW - I see no sign of crazing from the door-edge trim. It's been on for about 4-5 months now at least (mebbe more..)

I await your eyebrow report with great anticipation.. I haven't ordered anything from JCW in years, and have fallen off their 1,000 catalogs a year plan.
    AncientMariner
    Lifer

Post by AncientMariner »

I was able to obtain a sample of dark (i.e. 5%) glass tinting material from a local car farkler, Bumper to Bumper. The guy cut me a generous piece, gratis, and gave me some quick instructions on how to apply it.

Unfortunately, The opening directly above the headlight is quite curved and the tinting material has no stretch to it. I don't think it will wrap around the edge the way Don's door edge trim does. Plastic electrical tape is out because its vynal.

By the way, Cee Bailys said it may take up to a year before the shield is crazed by the vynal gas emissions.

I'm now thinking of using some of the Scotch extra thick rubber tape, like I put on the top edge of the light.

Xprof, is your insulting foam covering all of the entire bottom edge of your shield, or just the part directly above the light? I don't want to apply any extra material that is not needed.

Bruce
    '13 R12R Montego Blue
    '95 Mystic Red K75
    '94 Black HD FXDS
    xprof
    Lifer

Post by xprof »

Bruce,

It covers pretty much the whole bottom of the shield. I tried shortening it, and found that almost the full width is necessary for best results. Looks awful, works well (reminds me of a joke I heard once...). But the foam is just to test suppression of the headlight reflection, and it told me that suppression of the reflection is very important and desirable. I'm hoping that the "eyebrow" headlight visor will be the ultimate answer, and for that we will have to wait until UPS delivers the thing and I try it out. Then we'll see how well it works, and how acceptable it looks. I'll post pictures, for sure.
    Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
    ex1970 BMW R60/5
    ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
    ex Matchless G80CS
    deilenberger
    Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

AncientMariner wrote:By the way, Cee Bailys said it may take up to a year before the shield is crazed by the vynal gas emissions.
    That's good - I have at least 6 months for you guys to find a different solution..

And a FWIW - I suspect most hose insulation is not made of virgin rubber (in fact - Googling it - I couldn't find any..) - my WAG - some has vinyl in it, along with some plasticizer and fire-retardent materials that also might be a concern if the shields are attacked by fumes. Vinyl is pretty much a generic term for lots of types of flexible plastics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/insul ... d_922.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28021 ... ation.html - note reference to PVC, or poly-VINYL-chloride

How about just painting the bottom 1/3rd of the shield black? Of course the spray paint might also attack the plastic.

Waiting for the eyebrow..
    Mollygrubber
    Lifer

Post by Mollygrubber »

I think the eyebrow is going to be the way to go. Hurry up you guys!

2010 F800GS
    Member #741