Tank Bag Mounting?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

BigEasy
Lifer

Tank Bag Mounting?

Post by BigEasy »

I've never used a tank bag in all my years of riding and recently decided it'd be nice to have one so that my camera would be readily accessable. So Mrs. Easy bought me a neat Wolfman for my B'day this year, seen here http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/timb ... strap.html It has what I would call a generic 3 point mounting harness which will be nice to switch between bikes. I think I have a solution planned for the R but was wondering what others have done. Pics and or PDF's of instruction cut shetts would be handy, thanks Keith
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Re: Tank Bag Mounting?

Post by xprof »

I've got the same bag, but with the magnetic mounting. I like it a lot, but every time I exceed 120mph the bag lifts off and jumps into my face. Exciting!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I also find a tankbag very useful on trips.

The front mount is easy: run a web strap around the steering head. I made a little piece, loops at each end, to keep the big mounting loop in place when I disconnect the bag to fold it back over the seat for fueling.

When you remove the seat, there's a built-in female machine screw thread available on the bike's centerline below the rear of the tank. Find a screw that'll fit, and make something that'll connect that screw with a web strap running up to the bag. I imagine a little triangle of scrap aluminum: the bottom has a hole for the screw; the top has a couple of holes for two other bolts-and-nuts that capture the end of the strap. Or something like that.

Have fun!
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

BigEasy wrote:I've never used a tank bag in all my years of riding and recently decided it'd be nice to have one so that my camera would be readily accessable. So Mrs. Easy bought me a neat Wolfman for my B'day this year, seen here http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/timb ... strap.html It has what I would call a generic 3 point mounting harness which will be nice to switch between bikes. I think I have a solution planned for the R but was wondering what others have done. Pics and or PDF's of instruction cut shetts would be handy, thanks Keith
That is a nice looking tank bag. I am never without mine. Mine is the BMW tank bag. It is like a big purse. I am almost lost without it.
If I could find a good deal on a used Wolfman I'd be tempted.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
bluebeemerII
Basic User

Post by bluebeemerII »

I have the BMW tankbag also, Its always on the bike but it seems an inferior design compared to the factory tankbag on my R1150R. The only improvement is that it does not shift side to side as easily. The tank bag makes the Wunderlich horn switch guard a necessity or you will set off the horn when the bars are at full left lock (backing into a parking space). The front bag mount which hooks to the VIN# plate on the steering head, sometimes detaches while riding and could create a very serious problem.

John L.
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

bluebeemerII wrote:. The tank bag makes the Wunderlich horn switch guard a necessity or you will set off the horn when the bars are at full left lock (backing into a parking space). The front bag mount which hooks to the VIN# plate on the steering head, sometimes detaches while riding and could create a very serious problem.

John L.
These are problems I have never encountered. If the rear tabs are pulled up tight the bag is on nice and tight for me.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
daytonaredeye
Lifer
Donating Member #: 667

Post by daytonaredeye »

I have an old BMW brand tank bag I got when I bought my bike new. It zips in place just under the rear of the tank where a zipper mount was placed and has two hooks on elastic straps which attach to the front upper part of the bike - the black iron rails just under the front of the tank. Very sturdy and won't lift off at high speeds. Cumbersome to fill the tank, though, as I have to unhook one of the elastic straps and lean the bag off to the side opposite the fuel pump.

That was 10+ years ago and over time the elastic straps stretched and lost their elasticity; I bought new elastic straps and the hardest part was resewing the new ones on. Took me almost 4 hours to resew all points! But, the bag itself has held up well and will likely last another 10+ years.
West Georgia
'00 R1100R
Lifer # 667
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Now I want to get a tank bag and go over 120 to see what happens. I'll get back to you on that.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I mounted an Eclipse sport bag that I inherited. It was easy to find the installation manual online and order a replacement for a strap that was missing. I couldn't help myself and got the backpack straps too. Seems like a very cost effective bag. http://www.eclipseluggage.com/luggage/200.html

Since mine is not a magnetic mount, it was solid at 120, although the big gust of wind made my heart jump. I think I am going to like having a tank bag. Kind of a pain filling up with fuel, but I can leave the luggage bags off for day trips now. Those make it a little bit of a pain to get on and off the bike, and it looks better without them.

I am sure the Cal Sci extra tall windscreen and the Don C tilt block made a huge difference at that speed. This bike would not be the same without you guys!
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

BigEasy,

I sent you a PM.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA