Hugger

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

rokinrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Hugger

Post by rokinrider »

Looking at huggers online. Getting ready to order one, has anyone ordered from Nippy Normans??? Or is there a better deal out there. I'm looking for a gloss black one.
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Re: Hugger

Post by xprof »

I got my black hugger from Nippy Norman; decent product, reasonably fast arrival. I'm a fan. One little tip: be sure to use LocTite. I didn't, and found my hugger lying on top of my tire...
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
M249Joe
Basic User
Donating Member #: 931

Post by M249Joe »

I like this better. Nice product. I did use 3M double side tape where it comes in contact with the frame to prevent rubbing.

http://machineartmoto.com/shopsite_sc/m ... 1200R.html
07 R1200R, 12 S1000RR, 75 R90/6, 67 R50/2, 75 R90S
83 Suzuki GS1100E
07 Honda 450x
1978 Suzuki TS125
Dauntless
Lifer

Post by Dauntless »

The finish on the Nippy Normans hugger is not the best. There have been a few discussions about this on this board that contain some good info. Search for "nippy normans". For some reason, the full address doesn't show in my address bar when I use this site so I can't post a link.
Paul
2009 R1200R
gibbo111
Lifer

Post by gibbo111 »

I've had a NN hugger and now have a Mudsling and I think the mudsling is a better product as it keeps the rear shock cleaner. Its also available from NN's
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

I went with the "mudsling" primarily because of cost but also fit. The NN hugger is discussed at length in this forum. IMHO .... The best fit for a hugger is from Ilmburger.
Mudsling has great protection, easy to install (30 min), and is priced right. Mudsling is a product BMW might include for a stock R1200R. Mudsling's manufacture is in New Jersey.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
kidtwist
Basic User

Post by kidtwist »

I have a Mudsling. I have no complaints about it. It was easy to install and it does the job.

I think a hugger looks better (the bike should probably come with one), but I didn't want to spend the money on the expensive carbon-fiber one, and I've heard mixed opinions on the Nippy Normans one.
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

In NN hugger. Nice bit of kit, well finished and uses stainless steel mounting bracket. Looked nice but like most huggers, peformance in relation to keeping muck off rider, passenger and rest of bike was very little different to no hugger. All to do with way water leaves a wet tyre. The mudsling is excellent and really works. It is easy to fit and virtually invisible.
Fjm
Basic User

Post by Fjm »

I also have a Mudsling.
Great product, easy install, does the job. Matt black colour.
2011 R1200R
psycle.vt

Post by psycle.vt »

I agree the Mudsling is better functioning for its purpose - keeping road junk off the underside of the bike. Yes, BMW really should have included it. For some reason I had some trouble with the installation, but it may have been due to too short screws which they quickly replaced.
Cy Young/VT (now NH)
13 R1200R (BLUE - the latest PSYCLE)
dewi sant
Basic User

Post by dewi sant »

Whatever hugger you buy be sure to get one that mounts to the brake caliper like a Pyramid. I bought a Skidmarx one from Motorworks here in the UK that mounts to the torque arm which doesn't take into account the movement of the rear suspension. A few days after fitting it I noticed a black line appearing on my rear tyre. Closer inspection revealed that as the suspension moved with my weight on it, it cantilevered the hugger onto the tyre. Out of interest, I got my son to sit on the bike and sat the wife on pillion and the hugger really went hard into the tyre as the extra weight setted the suspension further.

I adjusted it by "drawing" the mounting holes and tilting it upwards a bit, it's now ok solo but for summer two up riding I'll have to get another hugger and the Skidmarx can go in the bin.

Dewi

P.S - this is the reason I've had a hugger on all of my bikes, they really do save the rear shock getting covered in road crud
http://www.dewisant-photography.net/y_o ... page_5.htm
JohnM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 852

Post by JohnM »

There is previous discussion here on hugger rear fenders. DonE then was sceptical about the NN version & how it might make contact with the tire. DonE knows most things about R12R's, and I should have heeded his wisdom. I bought the NN anyway. One my way down to Bikeweek last year, the NN broke (probably because I jumped a curb, and the sudden shock compression caused the tire to make contact with the hugger), resulting in the hanger bracket breaking. The hugger sagged & rubbed against the tire. Eventually, I had to take it off mid-trip.

As soon as I returned home, I purchased the Mudsling. Not quite as sexy looking as the NN-style version but it does a good job in keeping almost all crud off my rear shock ... which will eventually leak if it isn't kept clean.

JohnM
abambach
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 992

Post by abambach »

does anyone know if the mudsling fits a low suspension bike? thanks
--------------------------------
2009 R1200R
Coyote Crazy
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 723

Post by Coyote Crazy »

abambach wrote:does anyone know if the mudsling fits a low suspension bike? thanks
I don't know but I would not hesitate to call them 908.996.7210 and ask. I found them to be very friendly and willing to answer my questions. (They sold me one of their early prototypes for ESA so I could have it for my annual trip). I am very happy with the product.
Rick B. - Santa Clara River Valley, CA
Iron Butt Member 54010

2007 R1200R Crystal Gray
SteelD
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by SteelD »

I've just ordered the Puig hugger (http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/ad ... 97788.jpeg) and plan to have it painted to match the bike. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Last edited by SteelD on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
2012 BMW R1200R
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

The Puig hugger attaches to the swing arm. Should be stable for an aggressive rider...no problems with the clearance changing. I like it and less than the huggers offered by ilmberger.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
dewi sant
Basic User

Post by dewi sant »

The Puig huggers look great I like them. I had one of their screens on my F800ST and it was great quality. Any hugger that bolts to the caliper will be fine on the 1200 beemers, it's the ones that fasten to the torque arm that give probs. The R suspension works differently to other bikes so it cantilevers the huggur into the wheel as the paralever system does it's job of keeping the bike level.

Dewi