Tell me I'm crazy.....or not!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

VanDan
Basic User

Tell me I'm crazy.....or not!

Post by VanDan »

I have the BMW factory luggage (Side & Topcase) and I do like it but I am not particularly happy with their shape (Front of sidecase is round and I don't find it visually pleasing) and topcase is quite small.

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing the Trax cases for the bike. Some of the advantages IMHO are:
Sidecases larger 37L, square and top-loading
Topcase is also larger at 38L
Aluminum construction vs plastic

The sidecases are on my bike all the time so I'm not worried how the bike looks with the bags off. Top case is usually only on when the wife goes for rides.

I just think the bike would have a funky/Mad Max look with this type of case and I think it would look good on my bike which is mostly black.

Am I just crazy or what do you guys think?

Here are a few pics of the bags on an R1200R

With the BMW bags for comparison

Last edited by VanDan on Tue May 28, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Tell I'm crazy.....or not!

Post by deilenberger »

If you like the Trax look - go for it. It's your bike and who cares what other people think. I think it looks rather businesslike.. in a good way. Top loading would be nice - but can you fit a full-face helmet in them? Looks like they're a bit narrow for that. I do use my factory cases all the time - helmet in one, Aerostich Roadcrafter carefully stuffed in the other - when I'm going places on the bike where I want to be less biker (or outer-space monster) like.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
ipokebadgers
Lifer
Donating Member #: 913

Post by ipokebadgers »

I like the look. I have the BMW cases and they are on the bike all the time. I like the look and the top load of the Trax. If I had to change I would go that route.
2007 R1200R
2000 K1200LT(Gone)
1978 R100S (Gone but not forgotten)
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I agree with Don, who cares what others think if your happy with the look, but since you asked; your bike looks great with the trax bags, however I think the givi looks a little out of place paired with them. I was somewhat disapointed myself when BMW changed from the luggage like side case's to the rounded ones but only somewhat, the advantage of being able to store more and store a helmet makes it a no brainer for me. I do wish they would have attached a logo however, I'm not a big fan of the undecorated covers.
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I want some aluminum top loading panniers for my bike also. That being said I think BMW makes the best OEM panniers by far and that the new generation cases are the best they have ever made.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

What fairing is that on the black bike with the standard cases? Thanks.
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

For me the advantage of one key for ignition and cases is a big advantage. Also I hate cases which cannot be left unlocked(a Givi I had could only be shut with the key). I like to be able to stop, open the top case, have a snack or whatever without fumbling for a different key buried deep in ones clothing!
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

More weight you can shift down low, the better, I like your Givi 35 liter top case. I run that one most of the time without side cases. I have the big 55 Givi that I run on top on the road as it hold a bunch and is top loading. And I can just take that one 55 into motel; problem is I can really load the weight into it. The std Givi side cases are in the 30 liter range. So, yes, I vote for your cases.

What tire is that on your front ----Continental TA2????
VanDan
Basic User

Post by VanDan »

LeonardoNYC wrote:What fairing is that on the black bike with the standard cases? Thanks.
Wunderlich Trophy Fairing
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

SDMAX wrote:More weight you can shift down low, the better, I like your Givi 35 liter top case. I run that one most of the time without side cases. I have the big 55 Givi that I run on top on the road as it hold a bunch and is top loading. And I can just take that one 55 into motel; problem is I can really load the weight into it. The std Givi side cases are in the 30 liter range. So, yes, I vote for your cases.

What tire is that on your front ----Continental TA2????
I tend to avoid top cases just for the reason that you CAN really load the weight into it - in about the worst spot on the bike (rear and high.) I know I'd have a problem resisting it.. :)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
jmckeown
Basic User

Re: Tell me I'm crazy.....or not!

Post by jmckeown »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I like the look of the TraX cases as well!

Did you end up going that route? I'm also considering the givi trekker monokey's in black
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

To the OP..an you re-post the pics ? The originals don't show.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I have BMW original side cases,no top case.Looks bulky?May be.I do not bother with looks,It is very practical.That is what I need.With a top case-loaded-easier to wheely the bike [-( :badgrin: