Saddlebags

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

bmwbob
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Saddlebags

Post by bmwbob »

went to the store noticed the lid was loose on the saddlebag . after checking the hinge
found that two screws were missing and the rest were loose . so it might be a good
to check yours out .
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Re: Saddlebags

Post by celticus »

What year is your bike?
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I don't know about my saddlebags, but it has been reported I have a screw loose.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
bmwbob
Basic User

Post by bmwbob »

my bike is a 2007 with 48k .
bmwbob
Basic User

Post by bmwbob »

jkhomes wrote:I don't know about my saddlebags, but it has been reported I have a screw loose.
have you tried loctite .
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

This has come up before on the list. Many of us have reassembled the hinges using blue loctite.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Ditto on the blue loctite. I think I was the first to report missing screws.. I've taken them all out, one by one, loctited them and reinstalled them. End of the problem.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

Glad you posted this. I checked mine this morning and every bloody one of them was loose. Removed, applied blue Loctite, reinstalled.

Thanks.

David
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

Yikes! I had already lost 2 screws on one side when I noticed one of the remaining screws halfway out. I replaced the missing ones with some hardware-store metric socket heads (not stainless). Probably a good place for some LocTite as soon as I can get permanent replacements. '07 with just under 18K.
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Reviving this old thread and subject. My side cases need a rework as the finish has faded badly. Spots on the black that you would think are deposits of some sort, but I have confirmed that they are worn off finish. Don't really know what this finish is. Paint or whatever.

Anyway, I had followed the advice on this thread to blue locktite the bolts. And that works very well. But it turns out that I now can't take the bolts back out! The blue locktite is stronger than the nut retainer inside the bag. So the nut is spinning instead of the bolt coming out. Pretty frustrating, but I just wanted to warn people that you can't undo these bolts if you put locktite on them. (Actually, I did get about half of them out.)

So I have just painted the bags with a satin black rattle can by Color Coat (#15243). Looks like it came out pretty well.

Here are the bags ready to spray. You can see that I couldn't get one of the bags apart, so I had to paint it closed:

You can see the spots. This is after sanding and prep:

Finished result:

And a blurry one:
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

Yep! Blue locktite screwed up my plans to disassemble the cases and lubricate/repair the mechanisms as they were getting very hard to open (I found a procedure on an R1200RT forum). Started with the left case. Four of eight screws now spin in place! Fortunately there are two screws on each hinge half.

It looks like the only way to repair it (remove the screws and maybe epoxy the retainers) is to separate the inner shell from the outer shell on the lids. But after studying it for awhile and some poking and prodding I have yet to figure out how to do it.

Anyone have a sacrificial lid?
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
racerb
Basic User

Post by racerb »

Blue Loctite can be disassembled with heat. Use a hair dryer or direct heat from a low watt soldering iron applied to the screw head. Caution if it heats the plastic on the case it will be history. If you want to use a chemical locking compound ----- read the manufactures data not just the back of the bottle.------ for small screws or need to disassemble GREEN Wicking Loctite should be used. Blue should not be used on screws smaller than 1/4 inch or larger than 7/8 inch.
Evan
Basic User

Post by Evan »

I had no Problems with Loctite from Hornig https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... ctite.html